Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forest Temple Layout  (Read 5731 times)

Forest Temple Layout
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:43:54 am »
  • It's just Max.
So, thought I'd give this a go. I spent a long time looking at dungeons, but this is my first educated attempt at one.

Basic layout is attached, I did forget to add a legend to explain my scribbled markings, but is basically as follows:

| |.  Doors are parallel lines through walls
Doors marked with an X need a puzzle solved or switch hit to open.
Doors marked with an S are hidden but not locked, in this case behind vines you have to cut.
Doors marked with a key (looks like an o with a sideways F ) are locked
Keys are drawn below their chests, big chests are marked with their contents.
The path through the dungeon is marked with a colored line, it starts red, turns green, then turns blue, so it wouldn't get too confusing.
Stairs are highlighted in yellow and have a letter corresponding with their other end.
Enemies aren't usually marked, but would be in there.

Anyway, looking back over this, it might be a little bit short, but it is the first dungeon and I don't know if we want huge sprawling dungeons, or more concise ones so we don't bite off more that we can chew. Also, I'd love to work more on this with feedback, which could add content.
Re: Forest Temple Layout
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:22 am »
  • Just call me Brad
I like it! Its simple which makes sense since it is the first dungeon.
Although There is some rooms which dont have puzzles. And what about the wrap tiles? Those that took you to the entrance? And the compass?
I think it looks great! (In minish cap the deepwood shrine had the shape of a mushroom! It would be cool to shape dungeons like something of its element.)

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 11:46:24 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
There is some rooms which dont have puzzles.
Not every room needs puzzles. Unless you want to go for that Oracle of Ages feel...

In minish cap the deepwood shrine had the shape of a mushroom! It would be cool to shape dungeons like something of its element.
This is a common theme with the Game Boy installments, namely Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and the classic NES The Legend of Zelda. Perhaps the Snape of a tree..?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:39:20 pm by Miles07 »
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:57:27 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Don't forget to include Tilo ;)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:08:02 pm »
  • It's just Max.
You've got some good points, Spritonic. Like Miles said, you don't need puzzles in every room. In fact,  I don't think you should- there are many rooms in dungeons without puzzles in Zelda games. It's important for pacing.

The compass I didn't even think about. Weren't there some games that combined the map and compass into one item? Just, the chests and boss room were marked on the map? We could do that. Or I could add in a compass :p

As for the shape, we could. A tree or mushroom, basically would look the same. Or a leaf. The Gameboy games (and Zelda 1) had the dungeons shaped like things because each room was the game size and could be used like a pixel. When you have dungeons like Link to the Past or Minish Cap, rooms can be bigger. Minish Cap still had dungeons organized like shapes for a few of them, but not all. I don't think ALTTP had any? Point being, we could, but it's not a priority for me.

Steve, I've got Tilo in one location, but she should be in more. I hadn't looked over her NPC page for a while. I'll work on version 2 next,  I guess make things bigger.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:42:29 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Weren't there some games that combined the map and compass into one item? Just, the chests and boss room were marked on the map?
That was only in Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, and Phantom Hourglass.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 11:33:48 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I think it would be cool to have more treetop area, like the one above, but with a little more puzzles involving both the hookshot and the boomerang to solve before getting to the boss key.

And for the compass, I think it would be cool to have the chest in a simillar place as in the deepwood shrine, easy to get to, near the end.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:38:07 pm by Spritonic »
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:36:49 pm »
  • It's just Max.
So, take a look over this? How's it seem? It still might be a lil' short, maybe not?

The only potentially confusing things I can think of about this diagram:

-There's the raised/lowered posts, like the Tower of Hera (except they're made of wood and all brown colored here), the lowered ones look like rows of "o"s, the raised ones look like os on boxes. They're always in rows of like 3 or more, don't get them confused with wooden hookshot posts.

-Poison mushrooms and glowing mushrooms look, like, the same. Depend on the written description to figure out which is which.

-After the mini boss, the "main room" you drop back into is the one with the boss door. Where the yellow color path picks up.

One thing I think might still be improved is having some thief abilities required here. Tightrope walking, going along narrow ledges, etc.

So, any questions? Comments?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:40:00 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 53 queries.