Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: [ABANDONED - All data released] Spirit's Quest  (Read 50003 times)

Re: [Screens] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit's Ques...
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2011, 06:58:00 am »
Just call sprite_add() then font_add_sprite() :P You can import a strip of sprites into frames then create a font from the frames.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2011, 07:08:25 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Ah! Thanks DarkLight.

It shouldn't take much to implement the sprite font, so I should actually have an interesting update fairly soon then. Hopefully ;)

EDIT:
Wow, I feel so stupid not knowing that game maker could do all that with the strips.... *thinks of how many times it would've sped up the process* .... *facepalm*
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:51:54 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2011, 10:22:25 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
As usual, very little has happened with Spirit's Quest in this long time of silence. I mentioned on the NCFC 2011 topic that I decided not to enter Spirit's Quest this year, but instead I will be helping out Drandula a bit with his Flying Rooster project. However, I do plan to enter Spirit's Quest in NCFC 2012. If my new plan of action works out, Spirit's Quest will be very much on it's way by then.

Here's an animated pic showing off a few new beta tiles and graphics:

This is supposed to be the inside of Link's house (which will look different in the final product), showing the moment when Tangle appears while Link is sleeping. Little does Link know that he is about to be rudely awakened by a crazy Wizzrobe that has a thing for making heroes play life threatening games. In fact, Tangle's prepared a vast dungeon for Link, full of traps and trials. Link will have to use his wits and skills to come out alive. (I've already told the story before, but differently, and I was just so inspired by the animation I made that I couldn't help myself)

I'm still not very happy with my spriting skills, but I'll keep on working at it in hopes of getting better at making thems grafhiz. I at least know that I can make graphics that will pass as placeholders and I can complete the game and come back to fix up the graphics as needed, so I'm not too worried about my sucky graphics at this time. Though I do love pretty graphics. ^_^
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2011, 04:44:14 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I leave for a year and what's happened here? Not much.

Like the animation though; the tiles look fine to me, and I'm still looking forward to when you release a playable demo. However long it may take... ;P

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:51 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Small update: I just fixed up some errors in my font. The "m" and "n" were offset and the outlining was screwed up on a few characters as well. I've also made the font easier to read. After fixing it up I just ran a test and got the sprite font code working perfect; easiest part of this project by far. XD

This is a screen shot of a text test:

So yeah, it will look like that. Nothing special, but it's very nice to have this sprite font working because I can keep the spacing at 7 wide no matter what, which makes text box code far easier to do correctly than if I had differing widths in the characters.

@ Mirby, more has happened with Spirit's Quest in the past year than you probably realize, but yeah, I didn't make nearly as much progress as I expected to. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the days when I had almost zero responsibilities, but I have a life now and I've just got to make it happen anyway. Btw, good to see you back and thanks for the support on the project thus far.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:26:21 pm by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2011, 07:00:38 pm »
It's a great font and looks great.

Also, I've always been a supporter, even during my unintentional absence.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2011, 02:01:12 pm »
I still want to make some more music for this. Hit me up with a PM :)
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2011, 07:11:46 pm »
 :'(
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:21 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
:'(

Uhh.. what's that for? Sure, the project is at a slow point, but it will never die. Actually, I talked with DarkLight a few days ago and sent him some information that will allow him to make some fitting music for the first demo that I will release. I have fairly big plans for this project. Things are moving forward, just with a rather slow momentum at this time.

It's true that decided to help Drandula with his Flying Rooster project, which means I will not be working on mine as much at this time, but I will not be helping him forever. I was thinking on helping him through the end of the year as much as possible and then maybe every now and then during the beginning of 2012, so I could focus mostly on SQ at the beginning of the new year. This does not mean that SQ will get zero progress before the new year, but it does mean that there probably won't be a lot. Actually, it kind of all depends on what Drandula says to the last PM I sent him; I might not even be able to help him, depending on what he gives me to work with on the story, but we'll see. It's hard to know how long it will take for me helping Drandula until I hear back from him.

Hopefully that helps with whatever the sadness was about, RetroRespecter. It'd be nice if you'd have a little more content in your future posts so they can be read in context and understood. That as opposed to just a face that could mean many things.
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
Yeah, Retro, don't worry. This game won't fail.

I assure you it will have a Demo 4. XD

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2011, 11:16:41 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
An update on what's been going on:

I've been playing tons of Terraria because I somehow got sucked into it after downloading a Zelda texture pack, but now I'm finally bored of it, so I can get back to business (until they release patch 1.1 for Terraria :P).

During this time, I haven't JUST been playing Terraria. I have also been learning A LOT of different tricks to use game maker more efficiently, mainly being how to cut loading times and to use less resources, so that will benefit Spirit's Quest greatly.
Most importantly though, I've been learning more about graphics design, because what I have so far just isn't cutting it. I realize that this is my weaker point and I really want to get better. Once I know more, it should speed up the game's process because I won't be drawing in the dark so much; I will have better results faster. At least that's what I'm hoping.

That said, if any of you graphics gurus could point me to some internet resources for learning about video game graphic design, I'd appreciate it.

What I'm doing now that I'm back on the game's development:

At this very moment, I'm completely planning out how Link's actions will work, with what takes priority and what exceptions there are to those priorities.
An example of this would be: Link is in front of a signpost but Link is also right beside a pushable/pullable (a.k.a. "moveable") block. The action notifier will say "CHECK" which will check the sign, but if Link is pressing into the block, it will switch to say "GRAB" to grab the block. This is because it then takes priority over the signpost.
So it's not too complicated, but there are a few problems that are introduced when picked up objects are placed or thrown in front of other objects, or when moveable objects are moved in front of other objects. An example would be if you set a pot down in front of a doorway, you will have to smash the pot or move it before you can enter the doorway. On top of that, I'm also planning to implement "finishing" moves for Link, and I planned to use the action key for that as well, but I need to think it out a bit more to see if I can make it work or if I need to use another key, though I'm guessing the latter will be the case because I don't see how I could do it this way without finishing moves interfering with other actions. Just know that "finishing" and "special instance" moves will be in the game, whether they are triggered by using the action key or some other key.
  • My Music
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2011, 06:09:27 am »
Tricks to decrease the loading time. Do tell.
TLoZ:SQ - Tricks for smart/fast loading in GM + ...
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2011, 09:32:30 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Tricks to decrease the loading time. Do tell.

I mainly meant this:
http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=399
Though I'm fairly certain you know all of that already, Martijn.

The trick is to make the player feel like the game loads fast by opening the game up quickly (as opposed to making them wait 10+ seconds for a stupid loading bar), while the game is actually "smart loading" at various points within the game and during the splash screens. You will always want to do in-game loading to some extent. Just be creative and discreet with your loading. The pros do it all the time by having tons of loading going on behind the start up sequences of splash screens, within the menu transitions, in various in-game transitions, etc.

To load my game as fast as I know how, I'm going to keep the executable as small as possible, loading all my sounds, music, sprites, tiles, EVERYTHING (practically) as an external source. And I'm already using encryption for save files, so I can do it with all my other external resources if need be. I've already tested it with PNG files and it works perfectly, and it will still be faster than to have everything compressed within the game maker executable because of how horrible the process is that it has to go through to decompress and all that, AND you get to load whatever you need at whatever time you think is best; so you can actually load things in a correct manner. In the end, knowing WHEN to load resources is the key. And if you don't want to make loading obvious, get creative. If you can, you may also want to test loading times on at least one fast computer and one slow computer; if your loading techniques interrupt the gaming experience for the slow computer but not the fast one, you might want to make some sort of compromise (e.g. like loading all the music during the beginning, because the slow computer can't handle on-the-fly loading of huge music files without noticeably lagging the game).

Here is an example of a good loading technique:
Let's say you enter the boss room which will hold an enormous boss that has a lot of images and animation as well as specific sounds like roars and attacks, and the music is specifically made for this fight. None of this has been loaded at any point before in the game because it was unnecessary to do so. Instead, you have a transition that fades out then fades in between the entrance to the boss room and the boss room itself. During the midpoint of this fade-out-fade-in, you will load the boss images, sounds, and music. The transition should still not be affected much at all, at least not enough to interfere with the gaming experience.
Now, normally game maker would load this at the beginning, along with EVERYTHING else, making the player wait to get into the action, BUT, this way the gamer get's in the action quicker and, if done right, the game will not feel like it's ever lagging/loading. If you plan out your loading in this way, loading resources as needed in creatively discreet ways, you will have a game that makes use of "smart loading" techniques and it will be a step in the right direction for sure.

It is also worth it to note that game maker seems to save all images in a loss-less format, so it is best to keep your graphics outside of the executable and to encode them (if you don't want them tampered with or stolen) and just decode and load in-game. In a finished game (having tons of graphics), this should make a very noticeable difference in loading times.

For those of you that need an easy way to encrypt ANY file, here, I have a gold mine of delicious encryption power for you:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=245305
Now you don't have to be afraid of the average person stealing your external resources. And the guys that are smart enough to decrypt and to steal it.. well, they won't care.

And that is my knowledge on the matter. There may be better ways to do loading, but those are the best tricks that I have learned so far, and I will be using those techniques in Spirit's Quest.
  • My Music
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51:44 am »
I forgot , how do you load sounds , sprites etc externally with GM?
Nubcake now uses Purebasic!
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2011, 12:21:07 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"

Unfortunately, it's only available in the pro version. If you look up "changing resources" in the gm help, it brings up EVERYTHING you need for loading in new resources and even for replacing existing ones. Btw, the top link of my previous post already explained this. ;P

Anyway, I don't really want to get off on a discussion about external resources or encryption/decryption. I probably should've started a new topic about this to avoid cluttering up the Spirit's Quest thread. My bad, oh well.
  • My Music
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2011, 12:31:38 pm »

Unfortunately, it's only available in the pro version. If you look up "changing resources" in the gm help, it brings up EVERYTHING you need for loading in new resources and even for replacing existing ones. Btw, the top link of my previous post already explained this. ;P

Anyway, I don't really want to get off on a discussion about external resources or encryption/decryption. I probably should've started a new topic about this to avoid cluttering up the Spirit's Quest thread. My bad, oh well.

Ah i remember now , the _add() functions :P
Nubcake now uses Purebasic!

Koh

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2011, 05:11:59 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Graphics inspired by Cave Story I see.  Very interesting concept you have in works here, and the current graphics do look fantastic.  I'll keep an eye on this, and I wish you the best of luck completing these.  Being developed in Game Maker 8, eh?  I still need to purchase it; I've still been developing in 7, currently.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2012, 09:00:55 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Hey all,

I just realized that I haven't released all of Spirit's Quest's graphics, code engines, plans, etc. If I did, would anyone find use for them? If I give out absolutely every last piece of information, would anyone be interested in trying to continue this project? I doubt anyone would want to continue with the project, which is fine, but I'd hate to see it ALL go to waste.

Anyway, I won't continue with this project because I have moved on to programming a game called "Sky Winds" (name will most likely change), and I plan to make some money off of it. I guess I just ran out of my young days (still 24 years young though) and had to move on to making a living.

If anyone wants to know what Spirit's Quest was going to be, I have a ton of info and some unreleased graphics and a few fairly useful engines, though they were all intended to be engine parts that would come together to make the main SQ engine. Aw well. :-\
  • My Music
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2012, 09:02:24 pm »
  • Yeah, I don't even...
I don't mind checking it out. Seems interesting. I could probably find a use for it.  XD
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:04:52 pm by zdude684 »
Re: TLoZ: Spirit's Quest (Complete Data Release)
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2012, 02:20:16 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I've put the Spirit's Quest project files in a zip here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?18f0bqyx60vl621
(Note: If you do not wish to download from mediafire, simply suggest a better place for me to upload the file to and I will do so)

The zip file has nearly everything I've ever had on the project (excluding anything that was not in digital format): Brainstorming documents, the main game map and items key, some unreleased graphics, all of the game engines I've done so far (Game Maker 8 project files), etc.

This is gonna show you exactly how raw of a developer I can be because I left pretty much everything as is in the project folder and in it's sub-folders. So you'll get to see how I organize things and how I go about developing my games, if you think that might be interesting for some odd reason... it's definitely not professional, I can tell you that. Mainly it's my code that lacks professionalism, so watch out for that. I'm a bit weird; I like to code inside the objects and then I convert the code into scripts. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to making scripts, so the code is a bit bulky and not as organized as it could be. You will also notice some lazy coding is left in there. Sorry about that. Like I said, it's pretty raw.

I'd like to point out that the engines were all meant to come together to form the Main Engine Core. So the View Engine, HUD Engine, and the Collisions and Physics Engine were all meant to come together to create a solid, basic engine. I wish that I had completed and put the pieces together, but I ran out of time.

Anyway, not to sound full of myself or anything, but there are some seriously great ideas in my brainstorming documents. I'd hate to see them all go to waste. And, if you like humor, you might find the cut-scene brainstorm section to have some entertaining thoughts. Finally, the "Destructus" is my signature sword. If anyone uses that name for a sword, please make the sword total BA, being massive and slightly overpowered.. for me, please? ;3

I really hope someone finds use for this, even if this project is just a means to inspire and none of the resources are used.
  • My Music
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 75 queries.