Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open Source Zelda Game  (Read 7469 times)

calebR

Open Source Zelda Game
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:20:26 am »
Hey all! I¡¦ve been developing an open-source Legend of Zelda game in Game Maker for ages, but it¡¦s no good having me as the single owner. So I thought I would release it today. It¡¦s fully editable and I hope you enjoy it. ;)

Download at this link: http://rapidshare.com/files/184685351/Playable_Link.zip

The plot
Disclaimer: Before I explain the plot, I need to tell you that this is planned for the game, not actually made yet. Only Hyrule town, the castle and part of Hyrule field have been made.

The game is hardly anywhere near completion, but I already have a storyline. Unlike most Zelda games, there is no evil or dark person trying to take over Hyrule. Instead, this game is a composite of Zelda and the Mushroom Kingdom (if you don¡¦t know what that is, then this game probably won¡¦t make much sense), where you travel between worlds to collect kinstones to power a portal that connects the two places. The only problem is, there are only 8 kinstone pieces in the game, four halves in Hyrule and the other four on the other side of the portal (Kinstones are no longer cheap collectables, they are as important as the 4 elements in Minish Cap).

Your first task, after seeing Zelda and getting a sword, is to go to the Minish Woods and talk to the Minish people about Kinstones. After a series of puzzles (trading in a mushroom, earning rupees, etc.) in the Minish town, Link gets a slingshot that allows him into the Minish shrine. After completing the dungeon, Link finds the first kinstone piece and heads back to Hyrule castle. The kinstone half starts the portal working, but badly, where it emits large amounts of smoke. Potho then sends Link to Dr Left in Hyrule town to collect a gust-jar. After sucking up all the smoke, Link gets sucked into the portal, sending him to the Mushroom Kingdom.
(For those of you that aren¡¦t familiar with the Mushroom Kingdom, it¡¦s the place where Mario and Luigi live. If you don¡¦t know who they are, ask someone.)

Once there, Link ends up in Professor E Gadd Laboratory, where a similar portal has been set up. Soon after arriving, the portal shuts down and E Gadd asks how Link arrived. Finding that the kinstone was the power source, E Gadd sends Link off to try to find another one. After travelling out of Boo Woods (where E Gadd¡¦s laboratory is set up), Link ends up in Toad Town, where his rupees are converted to coins. Soon after, Link meets up with Mario, who graciously gives Link a hammer. Soon after, there is chaos in the town; - it turns out Bowser has taken over Peach¡¦s castle. Link and Mario rush to the castle, where Mario falls down a trapdoor set outside the castle. Link then works through the castle (which is set up in a similar way to a dungeon), finds the candle, eventually beats Bowser and rescues Bowser and Peach. Link then gets the second Kinstone piece, forming a whole Kinstone.

He heads back to E Gadd¡¦s laboratory, but before he gets there, he is blocked off by Boos and is warped to Boo¡¦s mansion. From there, he encounters Luigi, surrounded by ghosts. Searching around, Link finds the Lens of truth and a stack of green potion bottles. Making use of the gust jar and Lens of truth, you find and suck up ghosts and work through the maze of the Mansion (which is much like a small dungeon), collecting a mysterious sack (the Bomb Bag) and heading out. Luigi runs off, but not before leaving Link a generous thank-you gift of coins. Link continues on his journey back to E Gadd¡¦s lab, and steps through the portal, to Hyrule castle. Once there, Potho congratulates Link for getting the portal running. Soon after, it stops working. Sighing, Potho sends Link to Ordon to try to uncover another Kinstone.

That¡¦s all I¡¦ve managed to come up with so far, but I repeat: this is just the plot, it is not all in the game. At current progress, you only get up to Hyrule field. If you feel like using this plot, go ahead, since I don¡¦t use my program much.

Items

I piled as many items into this game that I could think of. Note that the attack values of your weapons vary depending on you skill level (Sword Skill books).

Standard Stuff
Sword ¡V A standard sword that you get from the smithy in Hyrule. 1 attack.
Master Sword ¡V The sword that fights evil. 2 attack.
Golden Sword ¡V A bonus supercharged version of the Master Sword. 3 attack.
Hylian shield ¡V This is just a standard shield, which is used to fend off attacks.
Mirror shield ¡V This shield is thicker and can reflect light, or light beams.
Storage and Skills
Stuff bag ¡V This item comes free and is used for food, potions and deku nuts.
Wallet ¡V Allows for space to put rupees or coins.
Bomb Bag ¡V Stores bombs.
Quiver ¡V Stores arrows.
Deku Seed Bag ¡V Store your deku seeds to use with a slingshot.
Silver sword skills ¡V Stab is replaced with slash, and link can spin attack.
Gold sword skills ¡V Link learns Jump attack.
Magic Book ¡V Increases the maximum magic capacity to 50.
Advanced Magic Book ¡V The ultimate magic book, which caps your magic at 100.
Collectables
Deku nut ¡V Stun your enemies with the flashy deku nut!
Candle ¡V See in the dark and emit a small flame. Uses magic energy. 2 attack.
Bread ¡V Eat bread to restore some hearts.
Cake ¡V Eat cake to gain a small amount of magic energy.
Pie ¡V A great snack that increases hearts and magic slightly.
Net ¡V Use the net to catch bugs or fairies. Only effective with a bottle.
Hammer ¡V Use the hammer to whack poles, rocks or enemies. 2 attack.
Boomerang ¡V Magic boomerang returns to you when thrown. 1 attack.
Lens of truth ¡V This eyepiece is used to see ghosts and hidden objects.
Hookshot ¡V Fun item used for crossing gaps, provided you find something for the hook to stick into. 1 attack.
Longshot ¡V The longshot is the same as the hookshot, except with a longer chain.
Ocarina ¡V Play the ocarina on music tiles to activate things¡K
Bladed Boomerang ¡V The mean cousin of the boomerang. 2 attack.
Slingshot ¡V Use the slingshot to shoot projectiles at far objects. Requires deku seeds and deku seed bag. 1 attack.
Deku seeds ¡V Small tough seeds used for shooting out of a slingshot.
Bow ¡V A stronger alternative to the slingshot, which requires arrows and a quiver to be effective. 2 attack.
Arrows ¡V Arrows are used with the bow. After being shot, arrows that miss their mark can be recollected.
Bomb ¡V A bomb is a great explosive device, but is dangerous. 4 attack power. Store in a bomb bag.
Bombchu ¡V After releasing, these mouse-like bombs go shooting in the direction you face them, exploding on impact. 4 attack. Store in a bomb bag.
Fire Rod ¡V Launch balls of fire, setting things alight. 2 attack.
Ice Rod ¡V Freeze enemies in their tracks. 2 attack + 1 per second of freezing.
Light Rod ¡V This light rod is super effective against evil, or light activated switches, but useless for everything else. 4 attack.
Red potion ¡V Drink to regain all hearts. Bottle is not needed nor kept.
Green potion ¡V Drink up you greens to restore full magic energy. Bottle not needed nor kept.
Blue potion ¡V Drink to restore all hearts and magic. No bottle required.
Bottle Bug ¡V Catch a bug in a spare bottle, using the net. Bug collectors love these.
Bottle Fairy ¡V Catch the fairy using a net and bottle. Restores all hearts when released.
Bottle ¡V This is a special bottle for catching small creatures in.
Drink ¡V An extra item. Used to restore something, but can¡¦t remember what¡K
Gust Jar ¡V This gust jar works just like a medieval vacuum cleaner, sucking up dust, smoke, ghosts or anything else not attached to the ground.
Mushroom ¡V This mushroom is only useful for trading in, so you can¡¦t eat it.

There are probably other items I¡¦ve forgotten, so you can find those out for yourself¡K

Instructions
„X   Z for jump attack (or spin)
„X   X is interact
„X   C to use your sword
„X   V to use your shield
„X   B to use selected item
„X   A for secondary interaction
„X   S to spin attack (or jump)
„X   Enter for the menu screen

Credits
CalebR (me) ¡V Programming
Nintendo ¡V Most sprites
Others  ¡V Custom sprites
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:29:20 am by calebR »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Open Source Zelda Game
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:22:19 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Looks pretty neat despite some scaling issues.

I wouldn't quite call it open source though; that typically means that it's coded in a language that can be completely manipulated, and since GM is a wrapped scripting language for another language, it's not truly open source :p Otherwise it looks pretty decent, I'll give it a go ^_^

Also welcome to the forum!

calebR

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:25:37 am »
Sorry about calling it an open-source game. :-[ You can edit the coding and make modifications to sprites, etc. It is saved as a .gmk not an .exe so anyone can change it. Still, I want people to make use of it, so go ahead!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:30:37 am by calebR »
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 01:29:33 am »
Dead link?

lol pun

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 01:38:21 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Open source means editable to whatever degree the code lets you. Like, the rawest form of the game intelligible to human beings. This being a .gm6/.gmk :)
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:12:07 am »
  • The king of Awesome
Link doesn't work, just gives me 0KB.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:36:19 am »
Lol, I think you made an empty .zip folder without the file actually in it.  XD

calebR

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 05:44:18 am »
I'm not sure why the file comes up empty. :-[ I've reposted the file, I hope that solves the issue... I'll try to get the file uploaded elsewhere, and re-link.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:46:21 am by calebR »
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 05:48:31 am »
  • The king of Awesome
Still comes up 0KB, just upload via megaupload, rapidshare.

calebR

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 05:32:45 am »
 :-\So many problems with the link...
I've done as you asked, so now the game should be uploadable.
http://rapidshare.com/files/184685351/Playable_Link.zip
If you manage to download it successfully, please reply.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:42:23 am by calebR »
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:22:25 am »
  • The king of Awesome
It should download, if not I'll edit my post.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 01:38:42 am »
Looks great.  XD I'm downloading now.

EDIT: I have a really old and slow computer, so it wouldn't run very well, but well enough for me to play around a bit.

From what little I've played around so far, here's the overriding impression: the big picture looks really, really good, but a lot of the little things don't, if that makes sense. Taken as a whole, it's good, but individually all the little pieces need work. However, since this is still a WIP, that's forgiveable. This looks like it has a ton of potential.  XD

Another one, (and don't take this the wrong way) seems to be that you've gone for quantity over quality a little bit. You say you've put all those items in, and that's a LOT of items, which makes it really useful for those who want to develop it having whatever item at the ready. And that's cool, but it seems that that has diverted a lot of attention away from polishing up and cleaning up the engine.

For instance, I noticed that there's no room transition yet. Link just shows up at a spot in the middle of a room. It seems like you've coded an awful lot not to have done that yet.

Again, nothing wrong with having a gigantic amount of items, since it allows other people to have pre-made content when they go to use it, but I'm thinking that you should start to put more focus on the game itself, and add the other items in later.

EDIT: Sorry if that came off negative, I actually thought it was really good.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:32:57 am by legendarylugi »

calebR

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 02:52:21 am »
Thanks! I'm glad for feedback! XD
It's great that the file finally works, it's been a bit of a hassle getting it up.
And yes, the game has been made quantity over quality, since I'm lazy at making sprites and much prefer coding.
Everytime I try to add more to the map, I get bored quickly, and instead add a new feature to the game. That's why I released it, so someone more motivated with map building can turn it into a proper game.

christian

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:10 am »
thanks a lot

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 04:01:25 pm »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
thanks a lot

gravedigging is against the rules.  Don't post in topics that are so old unless the information you are posting is of substantial importance.  This is not.  Locked.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 67 queries.