Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: If you could change your personality  (Read 6134 times)

Re: If you could change your personality
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 09:04:14 am »
  • Fight the Power
This topic is stupid. Everyone who posted saying they want something to be changed is weak.

You can change your personality quite easily. If you're a selfish nob then stop taking stuff from everyone else without permission and be more polite. If you're not outgoing enough then just learn to put your fear in the back of your mind. After having a sculling lesson today I found it a lot easier to be more outgoing if you have the worst that can happen to you happen. After I capsized I found myself more relaxed and a bit more confident.

Keep in mind, not everyone is like you. For you, it may be easy, but that's not it for everyone  :).

You can change your personality quite easily.
Ohhh that's soo much easier said than done.
Yeah, so today I decided I would be more outgoing, always nice to people, make more friends, etc
Yeah right. You can't change who you are 'easily'.

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 11:18:54 am »
This topic is stupid. Everyone who posted saying they want something to be changed is weak.

You can change your personality quite easily. If you're a selfish nob then stop taking stuff from everyone else without permission and be more polite. If you're not outgoing enough then just learn to put your fear in the back of your mind. After having a sculling lesson today I found it a lot easier to be more outgoing if you have the worst that can happen to you happen. After I capsized I found myself more relaxed and a bit more confident.

You really have no concept over the idea of personality. Leave this thread. Go. K.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 11:23:13 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Your personality... involves idiosyncratic routines that you have little to no control over. You can ween yourself off of certain habits, but you'll never be able to truly change who you are. This is why people *wish* they could change something about themselves, instead of just doing it.
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 11:25:00 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
What was it House said (Awesome TV Show): An alcoholic will always be an alcoholic. If he doesn't take another drink for as long as he lives, he just hasn't lived long enough.

Actually, that's a good point: If the only way to stop is to cut it out of your life altogether, has it not still won? Hmm, TO THE SCIENCE-MOBILE!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 12:46:23 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
Yeah... I guess that was a bit over-arsehole of me, I came off too strong about it, it's just the if part of the title, I still think that if you truly want to you can change yourself by deciding to do things differently, say if you have been a complete slob all your life, then suddenly you reflect on yourself, get your act together and clean up, get a good job, and so on, would you not have changed your personality?

The key to changing your personality is to reflect, reflect on what you did during the day and think of how you may change it, then try to implement these changes in your life and slowly your personality will change.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 12:53:40 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Or you just start to act differently. To me 'personality' is the thought processes, hence why I subscribe to the view that everyone is arrogant, because inside everyone looks down (in some way) at everyone else. Whether or not we show these thoughts is irrelevant.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 01:01:08 pm »
Or you just start to act differently. To me 'personality' is the thought processes, hence why I subscribe to the view that everyone is arrogant, because inside everyone looks down (in some way) at everyone else. Whether or not we show these thoughts is irrelevant.

I find that it is very relevant whether or not we show these thoughts. I find we should (If at all) judge people on what choices they make. If, for instance, three men are on a camping trip, one of the three is slower than the other two and holds the group up. One of the better campers expresses his dissatisfaction with the slower camper very vocally, the other, though unhappy with the slower camper's speed, decides not to express it and instead helps the camper along. Which of the two better campers is more worthy of praise
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 01:08:22 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Both expressed their dissatisfaction (helping someone who does not request aid is a very clear way of showing you think them beneath you, and if anything just as frustrating, if not more so, than simply being told how bad you are, because the person has the nerve to act like they give a crap), the difference being simply one thought it more effective to tell the guy how bad he was, the other believed helping him to be more efficient.
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »
Both expressed their dissatisfaction (helping someone who does not request aid is a very clear way of showing you think them beneath you, and if anything just as frustrating, if not more so, than simply being told how bad you are, because the person has the nerve to act like they give a crap), the difference being simply one thought it more effective to tell the guy how bad he was, the other believed helping him to be more efficient.

One decided to try to help speed up the guy and make the trip more efficent, the other did nothing about it and just made the guy feel like crap. Also, who said the guy didn't request aid? and if someone had, for instance, trouble climbing up a slope, and you could see they were having trouble, giving them a hand isn't expressing dissatisfaction, it's showing that they are willing to help you if you want it, and want you to be happy as well. And 'Beneath them'? Giving help is no way showing they think another is beneath them. It's showing they think they may be struggling in certain situation in which they can aid them. A lot of people will appreciate help in those situations, they will admit they may not be so good with it, and the other one giving aid can make the situation less intimidating.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 01:23:30 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
"You need help. I'm better than you, so can give it." strikes me as viewing yourself as better than them...

Unless you mean they are both bad, in which case it's "I suck, you suck, but by working together I can get through this and so can you, win-win", and more of an attempt to save yourself than anything else...

Helping a person is always done to benefit yourself in some way after all :P

In any situation everyone does what they feel is best, which is why I only judge by the result of an action. Since you never stated the result of helping the guy I don't judge :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:25:42 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 01:30:21 pm »
"You need help. I'm better than you, so can give it." strikes me as viewing yourself as better than them...

Unless you mean they are both bad, in which case it's "I suck, you suck, but by working together I can get through this and so can you, win-win", and more of an attempt to save yourself than anything else...

Helping a person is always done to benefit yourself in some way after all :P

In any situation everyone does what they feel is best, which is why I only judge by the result of an action. Since you never stated the result of helping the guy I don't judge :P

Not all people do things for just themselves, some people do think 'If I was in that situation, I might like some assitance' and act out of their heart to better another persons life, some do it for the greater good.

Also, does everyone do what they think is best for everyone? Don't some do what they think is best for themselves? Don't others do what they think is best for others?
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 01:50:01 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I said "What is best" not "What is best for everyone". Everyone does what is best for ourselves, be it receiving a sense of superiority by helping a person (to paraphrase Dr. McNinja, a cool natural high that lasts all week) or financial gain or otherwise.

Helping a person for the reason you just said would be for that cool natural high of superiority. Since if you ask me everything we do is ultimately for self-gain (self-sacrifice being an extremely effective method of ceasing immortality and being remembered for many years after your death in a positive way, a point of view I am usually hesitant to put forward due to it usually offending many people, which tends to be bad for me), for me intent stops mattering.

Then again, my friends describe me as a bit of a robot emotionally (and a machine, but that's for entirely different reasons ;))...as in I only understand ones that are actual chemical changes (happiness and sadness for example).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:00:32 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 05:13:39 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Humans are not all self-centered dicks.

Oh and also, if I was in a situation like you described, I would help the guy but I wouldn't hesitate to tell him he sucks :P. Comicaly, of course. In a way he doesn't get offended.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:15:51 pm by Darunia »

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 05:24:11 pm »
  • Minalien
Since I already can change my personality, and I choose not to, I wouldn't change anything. ;)
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 05:26:11 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
In a way he doesn't get offended.

Because if he was offended it'd risk him somehow doing something negative to you either directly (hitting you), through some kind of karma (not that the universe actually balances itself) or indirectly (lowering others opinions of you). You'd not offend him, for fear of it harming yourself.

I'd call that self-centred :P
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 05:29:29 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Your logic has always been pretty self-centered :P. You try to put that logic everywhere.

Anyways, if he hit me, i'd hit him back. That's not valid.
And if he lowers his opinions on me just 'cause of that, I shouldn't be worrying.

I wouldn't offend him, in fear of harming him. fix'd.

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 05:47:59 pm »
In response to the "you can truly change your personality if you really wanted to";
maybe, yes, but maybe some people hadnt considered the ability of changing. Asking a question like this might make some people think about something they had not thought about before, and thinking it through and replying to this topic will either make someone say "yeah this is what i'd like to change about myself..." but all that comes out of it is the reply they give, whereas somebody else might decide to take action on it.

Vaati

Royal Assassin
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 03:07:08 am »
  • Royal Assassin

Myself, I would make myself more self-confident and more outgoing. I worry about the smallest things because I always think I'm gona screw up ... and I think that people think that I'm a boring person because I'm quite quiet, but I'm not really, and I'd just like to prove them wrong.

Me too, I would like people to know that behind this serious, quite and shy person ther's a free spirit joyful person.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 01:10:17 pm »
  • b e p i s
Then again, my friends describe me as a bit of a robot emotionally (and a machine, but that's for entirely different reasons ;))...as in I only understand ones that are actual chemical changes (happiness and sadness for example).

You know, you don't always have to be so cynical.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 01:43:14 pm »

You know, you don't always have to be so cynical.

I wouldn't really call it cynical, he just tries to make out that he has no emotions as though, as he said, he's a robot. While as we see in his pictures, after alcoholic influence he loses this robotic shield and obviously does have emotions
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 74 queries.

anything