Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer is dead - long live The Shadowgazer!  (Read 386412 times)

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (2/10/2...
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2006, 03:20:31 pm »
  • [sic]
Well, Mob, you've definitely got me sold. Although mostly not on the game. Like others, I love your attention to detail. And you're very realistic about your game. You said you expect it to be a year before your next demo, eh? Fair enough. :P In any case, congrats on the demo you already have. I really, really, like the wlaking speed. At first I was thinking "this is way too slow", but when you actually start moving around, you notice it gets you places just as fast as walking in OoT does. I like the story, although the whole dream world concept is overworked, I've never seen it successfully implemented into a game before.

Also, some critique on your lava screens:
I love love love the smoke effect. The steam from the geyser could definitely look more realistic though, but given your dedicated attention to detail I'm sure it will by the time it's done. Also, I know that while the color is accurate, the very light-yellow of the lava screens looks somewhat out of place in an otherwise formidable-looking type of dungeon. I would suggest you make it slightly more orange, not to the point of unrealism, but enough to fix this.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 03:23:22 pm by Kame »

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2006, 06:11:13 pm »
I see those sketches and man - I admire you, I really do. Awesome. But there's one thing really, REALLY bugging me. You're so frickin talented, your game (or demo, anyway) feels so real when I play it, it makes me wonder...

... why don't you go for a whole custom style? Gee, I know you got what it takes, damn. Seeing these sketches, seeing that Lizalfos and Zora, I mean what the hell. Your project would be a 11/10 if it had custom style, really...

Hm, well. Still stunning, I can just repeat myself. Yet I'd appreciate an answer on why you don't go for a custom style. :3
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2006, 06:24:37 pm »
  • Shunner of Light
It looks too good to be true, especialy the story (although it reminds me somewhat of LA).
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2006, 10:55:38 am »
  • [sic]
It looks too good to be true, especialy the story (although it reminds me somewhat of LA).
Well, lost of people use dream-related stories for games/movies/books/fiction :P

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2006, 10:57:05 am »
When will there be a demo?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2006, 12:03:28 pm »
  • [sic]
He said maybe in a year.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:35:51 pm by Kame »
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2006, 05:24:21 pm »
Best Zora I've seen, same for the lizalfos, too bad you did em in MC style. ;D

But the lizalfos looks kinda like he's smiling.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but it's intentional. When I did the sketch I had a long lizard-like snout in mind, but when I was spriting it I experimented with a few things. I brought the ridge on the skull forward to make it look more dinosaur-like and decided I preferred it that way, and I don't know about you guys but it always looked to me like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park had evil smiles on their faces :P so I tried slapping a grin on his face for the hell of it and bang, I'd nailed it! I'm really pleased with that one actually...
Oh, and by the way - the Zora is still very much a WIP. I'm confident the body can be made smaller, or at the very least cleaned up. Not convinced about the colours either. The MC palette clearly wasn't chosen with Zoras in mind, but I'm not gonna let that restrict me. And I'm really struggling with doing a front-facing view. I don't want to dis anyone's spriting skills, but I've never seen a forward-facing custom Zora that really looked like, y'know... a Zora. It's a tough one.

In my never ending quest to find something wrong with this game, I've finally done it - speed. Nothing big, but when Link is moving diagonally, the speed in the direction he isn't facing should be diminished. For example, if Link is moving up right and facing up, he should move up at normal speed, and his speed to the right should be lessened. This isn't a huge deal, but it is something I feel really makes the whole movement smoother and have that Zelda "feel" - otherwise it seems to generic and jerky, and it makes sense if you think about it.
Wow. I've played every Zelda there is and I never noticed that. Capcom never noticed it either - check The Minish Cap.
Makes sense though, and I could change it I guess, but I don't know if I can be arsed! There are seperate objects for Link walking, walking carrying something, walking with the shield, walking with the bow poised - probably more that I can't recall off the top of my head, plus at least one I don't want to reveal ;) - and I honestly don't know if I can be bothered to go back and change all the code...! We'll see, but it would be right at the bottom of the list of things to do. Nice try, though. Must do better!
There have been a few comments about the walking speed - some suggesting I change it, some saying it's just right, and I want to explain why this, and some of the other things, are the way they are. Put simply: it's what feels right when I'm doing it.
I'm not trying to improve on the mechanics of Zelda but equally I'm not gonna let myself get bogged down trying to create a carbon copy of the engine. Plus I'm still learning GML so I'm just trying to build it up from scratch as naturally as possible. In the end it has to play well in its own right, above playing like a Zelda clone, in my opinion. But we'll see how things develop. This game has evolved so much since I started it...

If you cancel the game, I will hunt you down and throttle you in your sleep, then throw your dead body into an incinerator and... oops, sorry. Didn't mean to ramble on like that ;D!
I don't sleep. That's when the nightmares come...

I see those sketches and man - I admire you, I really do. Awesome. But there's one thing really, REALLY bugging me. You're so frickin talented, your game (or demo, anyway) feels so real when I play it, it makes me wonder...

... why don't you go for a whole custom style? Gee, I know you got what it takes, damn. Seeing these sketches, seeing that Lizalfos and Zora, I mean what the hell. Your project would be a 11/10 if it had custom style, really...

Hm, well. Still stunning, I can just repeat myself. Yet I'd appreciate an answer on why you don't go for a custom style. :3
Heh, this project is enough of a time-sink as it is! Do you want me chained to my computer?! Nah, I could't devote the time needed for something like that. This is just a hobby, you know, and I don't want to spend any more time on it than I already do. Besides, I like Minish Cap style!
Maybe I'll do something 100% my own creation after this... Maybe I'll never want to do anything like this again! Who knows? But thanks for the compliments.

He said it maybe in a year.
Kame's right. I'll take this opportunity to remove all doubt as to my intentions for the demo.
Assuming the next z3 takes place roughly the same time next year, i.e. August 2007, you can expect it then.
I think this gives me enough time to get done everything I have planned. If the next z3 occurs much sooner than that, say it becomes a six-monthly thing, it will probably have to wait until the following one. But as of recently I am working on stuff in the sequence they appear in the game. That means I'm working on tiling, spriting and populating the starting area, and when that's done I'll move onto its neighbouring rooms, and keep branching out that way. This is so that even if I don't quite get everything finished in time - and I fully intend to! - the demo can be played all the way up to whatever point it is complete.
Having said that, if I find myself completing it ahead of schedule, you'll still have to wait until z3 to play it! And I wouldn't be adding any more to it than I've previously stated. The end of the first dungeon is a good place to leave it. After that there will be no further demo. Just the finished game.

this game looks super sexy and i hope you dont plan to make it so long that you dont finish it.
and if you ever finish this ill like suck your DICK or something >_>.
Hmmm. I'm assuming you're a Bob as in Robert and not Roberta, right? Then I'll pass if it's all the same to you...

Although, you know, I guess the inside of a man's mouth must feel pretty similar to the inside of a woman's mouth...

JOKING.

Cheers all!
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2006, 07:52:52 pm »
  • [sic]
Oh, and by the way - the Zora is still very much a WIP. I'm confident the body can be made smaller, or at the very least cleaned up. Not convinced about the colours either. The MC palette clearly wasn't chosen with Zoras in mind, but I'm not gonna let that restrict me. And I'm really struggling with doing a front-facing view. I don't want to dis anyone's spriting skills, but I've never seen a forward-facing custom Zora that really looked like, y'know... a Zora. It's a tough one.
Gotta agree with ya there. Zoras are really hard. Probably the best way to study 'em would be get a snapshot from a ROM when they're facing forwards.

There are seperate objects for Link walking, walking carrying something, walking with the shield, walking with the bow poised - probably more that I can't recall off the top of my head, plus at least one I don't want to reveal ;) - and I honestly don't know if I can be bothered to go back and change all the code...! We'll see, but it would be right at the bottom of the list of things to do. Nice try, though. Must do better!
Wow, you use separate objects? That might become a real stab the ass later on. Er, didn't mean to use such violent expressions. <_<

There have been a few comments about the walking speed - some suggesting I change it, some saying it's just right, and I want to explain why this, and some of the other things, are the way they are. Put simply: it's what feels right when I'm doing it.
I'm not trying to improve on the mechanics of Zelda but equally I'm not gonna let myself get bogged down trying to create a carbon copy of the engine. Plus I'm still learning GML so I'm just trying to build it up from scratch as naturally as possible. In the end it has to play well in its own right, above playing like a Zelda clone, in my opinion. But we'll see how things develop. This game has evolved so much since I started it...
Yeah, like I said, the walking speed is slow, but any faster, and it'd be unrealistically fast. People don't actually walk very fast, I think they had the walking speed down-pat in OOT. Fast enough, but not really fast.

He said it maybe in a year.
Kame's right. I'll take this opportunity to remove all doubt as to my intentions for the demo.
Assuming the next z3 takes place roughly the same time next year, i.e. August 2007, you can expect it then.
I think this gives me enough time to get done everything I have planned. If the next z3 occurs much sooner than that, say it becomes a six-monthly thing, it will probably have to wait until the following one. But as of recently I am working on stuff in the sequence they appear in the game. That means I'm working on tiling, spriting and populating the starting area, and when that's done I'll move onto its neighbouring rooms, and keep branching out that way. This is so that even if I don't quite get everything finished in time - and I fully intend to! - the demo can be played all the way up to whatever point it is complete.
Having said that, if I find myself completing it ahead of schedule, you'll still have to wait until z3 to play it! And I wouldn't be adding any more to it than I've previously stated. The end of the first dungeon is a good place to leave it. After that there will be no further demo. Just the finished game.
You just whet my appetite for the next Z3 100% more! :P Can't wait to see what you'll have ready when the tiem comes. and I really like your plans for releasing the game slowly. Way too many projects just rush out demos and suffer because of it. I do hope, though, that in the event that you do scrap this game, you would kinda clean it up a bit and release whatever you'd got. But then if you do that, hotpiebob won't suck your DICK. ;) LOL
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2006, 09:17:47 pm »
Your fangame has the quality most fangames had on the old ZFGC!

A Storm in the Desert

Eternal Triangle
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2006, 08:42:56 am »
  • Wear the Deku Sprout Smile :]
This game has been holding my attention since I first saw the topic, and I'm most impressed with the direction I see it taking. Also, as others have mentioned, it's good to see people doing sketches before making sprites; hats off to you King Mob.
Surely you can do it!
Believe in your strengths...Believe...

-Happy Mask Salesman
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2006, 12:08:04 pm »
Still cannot wait... z3 will be magical next year, just you wait, and don't think I'm just talking about The Shadowgazer...
Oh, and about the walking speed... could you please modify your tech demo to show the FPS, if it's at 40 and it's at that walking speed, then maybe a slight increase is neccesary. If I'm getting slowdown, at, say, 20fps, no speedup required.

OOTz-Hooz

« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2006, 01:43:02 pm »
Oh man! This really looks great. The demo is like playing TMC again - phantastic! I'm looking forward to new screens, or even movies of horsecombat e.g.

Please continue! This really rocks. ;)
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
We all want more updates, but they're just not coming. King Mob, please... if you update, I'll... um. Give you screenshots and demos of my game, The World's Chance 1 week earlier :P?
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Shadowgazer (30/10/...
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2006, 06:24:38 pm »
Righto, since cb43569 is waging a surreal blackmail campaign against me via PM  ;D I thought I'd better appease him by explaining the lack of updates recently and let you all know that, following this update, I'll probably be taking the game underground for a while, possibly even until the demo's finished. I've been working hard and it's going really well, it feels like it's finally coming together as a game, but it's going so well I feel like I really want to keep it under wraps now until nearer release...

Until OOTz-Hooz gravedug this topic with his first (and last!) post (don't worry - I think you got away with it!) it was languishing on page 2, where, with the demo so far away, it should probably stay. So yeah, keeping your interest will be difficult with such a long wait, so I feel this should be the last update for a while. I want to get my head down and finish the demo and deliver it at z3 with maximum impact.

So what have I been working on? The opening area is virtually built - a few tiles missing but essentially it's all there - and I'm populating it with NPCs at the moment. It's all been integrated with the clock so that the tilesets swap nicely between their day and night versions, lights come on and go off and smoke comes out of the chimneys at certain times, and the NPCs appear in different places and say different things throughout the three day cycle. So far so good.

Mainly though, I've been working on adding the sound. Concentrating most of my effort on a robust music/ambient sounds engine that can do whatever I want it to, whenever I want. There's a lot to get my head round since it's all connected to the passing of time. Stuff like: does the music fade as the sun sets and does that volume remain constant when passing between two rooms with different themes? Does the dawn fanfare play when the day breaks and you're outside, but not inside? Does the birdsong fade out to crickets chirping at the right time, and do they both they fade when you enter a building? Can it accommodate cinematics? A ton of crap to think about, but I reckon I've done it. I certainly haven't encountered any bugs yet, but it's a pain in the arse to test because it's tied to the clock, which I can't speed up for testing purposes and be sure of an accurate picture of how it'll behave... But it appears to be working seamlessly!  ;)

So that's all I have to report. It may not sound like much, but it feels to me like I've overcome a great hurdle. I'll still be here at the forums of course, and I'll be posting more concept sketches (since I may not end up using them) but if you're really that desperate to know what's going on, feel free to drop me a PM from time to time.

Cheers!
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2006, 07:33:53 pm »
Sounds alright ;D. Good enough for the blackmailing on this game... now, what can I use to blackmail Hyrule_boy about MM2D :P...

Anyway, I can't really wait. The timing thing with the day/night engine and the NPCs at certain times sounds pretty good. In my opinion, a day/night system was one of the only things missing from MC :).

ZFGC Guy

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2006, 02:02:37 pm »
I dont have much to say... that looks great!

Hurry up already!  ;D
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2006, 09:14:09 pm »
  • Shunner of Light
The demo needs more, but the game looks great so far. :)
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2006, 01:00:28 pm »
You have somehow managed to do something I have always had trouble with in my games:
There are separate objects for Link walking, walking carrying something, walking with the shield, walking with the bow poised - probably more that I can't recall off the top of my head
in there you say you use separate objects for all his actions. but i also know that, making my own games with game maker, that you have managed to make the room follow all those around. but i need to know how to do this! i have been making 1 single object which is link to follow and separate ones only for the swords and stationary objects. how do you do it? do you make the main one the pearent and then all the others have that the pearent and have the room follow the pearent?  ??? i dunno, but it is annoying the hell out of me and forcing me to make scripts 200 lines long (so i just made up that number, but you get the idea). I am making cloud of darkness and seeing your game, i think i need to almost rebuild my whole system of movement and actions so far (at least it's not even a quarter of what is planned).

Oh, are you using game maker?... you might not know what the hell i'm talking about if u don't and use some other game making program like the games factory.

By the way, really wicked game so far  8) can't wait for you to finish it.

P.S. one last thing, if you don't mind, could you PM me and give me links to the sites you got the ripped MC sprites from? not your custom ones, i just need a few more things to put in my game, like the bomb placed with smoke and the explosion of the bomb, and i am missing the lava tileset from my collection too. or please make a zip with all your MC sprites in (apart from your custom ones) and send it to me?
Only if you don't mind giving them to me!  ;)
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2006, 01:11:21 pm »
Hey, Blue Chu Jelly! TilesNet :P.

Leif-Ericson

« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2006, 08:48:10 pm »
That was really dissappointing. All that was in the demo was walking around and 2 items.

Where are the enemies? Where are the room transitions? Where is the inventory?

Who's to say those screenshots arent mockups? You really need to add all the features you boast about having into your demos, as the demo you DID post had nothing special about it. It didnt even have a chat system.

Add some more content t your games before you release them, and don't tell people about features you claim to exist but only have a screenshot of.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 75 queries.

anything