Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should be in a platformer?  (Read 1384 times)

What should be in a platformer?
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:00:15 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
What do you dislike/like in platformers? Also what is a checklist of the things you would want to see?

P.S. I am making a platformer and would like some ideas.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
Re: What should be in a platformer?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 02:42:17 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
One thing is for sure Platforms. LOL jk
seriously though most people like it when there are rewards for thoroughly searching each level.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft

Busternaut

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:47:03 am »
Multiple costumes that each make your character get different powers.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:03:32 am »
  • Huzzah!!!
Lots of atmosphere (like in Knytt, Knytt stories, and Within a deep forest <-all by a guy named nifflas)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 03:49:34 am »
First, level design.
Your levels need to be fun, interesting enough to explore, and never feel aimless or unfinished.

and of course gameplay/play control.
under almost no circumstances should the buttons ever significantly change their effect.
for example, in Sonic Rush Adventure, the B Button is jump when you're on the ground, but when you're sliding down a rail, it acts as a Trick Button, which has caused me to !@#$% up and miss many jumps- very stupid idea.
You want the jump button to always make the character jump unless he is under extreme circumstances where one can't jump, the same for all other buttons really.
And you want to make these buttons combinable, such as crouching+attacking, running+jumping, arrow keys+attack etc, so that people can develop their own style of play because the gameplay you offer is so versatile.

think of stuff like running and crouch-sliding under bricks in super mario bros, the trick system in Sonic Advance 2, or the 2 types of jumping in Super Mario World
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:16:07 pm »
Superb...I'll take all of what you guys have to say into consideration. Also what kind of enemies do you guys like to see? I have a few in, but I lack really original concepts for enemies (except for bosses) and I would prefer my game to be as original as possible.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:48:47 am »
Maybe I'm different than anybody else, but I'd prefer enemies that don't only take one hit to kill(well, most of them anyway).  I'd rather have them actually be enemies rather than simple obstacles, where you have to really attack them or risk getting hurt if you want to get past them.
- Click to go to thread
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:06:04 pm »
Maybe I'm different than anybody else, but I'd prefer enemies that don't only take one hit to kill(well, most of them anyway).  I'd rather have them actually be enemies rather than simple obstacles, where you have to really attack them or risk getting hurt if you want to get past them.
But...is that really good in a mario-esque platformer? I could see that being in something where a character uses weapons, but I'm talking about jumping on enemies head and stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 54 queries.

anything