Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Needing Brawl Help  (Read 805 times)

Needing Brawl Help
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:58:11 am »
Hey okay so I'm having a rematch with my friend who I lost miserably to. His main character is Marth, and mine is Link. We're having a rematch soon and to clarify, I'm not even close to being an expert at Super Smash, but i'm pretty decent and I have beaten my friends who are really good at the game. My main problem, my friend who uses Marth is extremely good but also my biggest problem is with Marth's countering attack.

I'm actually afraid to attack him directly because he abuses the counter attack and knows my weakness to it. I almost always fall for his counter unless I get lucky. Especially when i'm at a high percentage, he'll REALLY abuse the countering attack and knock me out with that. If it wasn't for his countering move, I would probably have a better chance of beating him.

When practicing, I always get beat by the COM on level 9 because of the countering move. What I do is try to keep my distance and leap out of my way and when he attacks, I attack. Also when i'm far enough away, I rappidly shoot arrows at him and when he gets close to me, I roll back and anticipate his attacks. When Marth uses the countering move and I have the chance, I also quickly attack. The other side to this problem, when Marth has a high percentage of damage, the obvious thing to do is to pull in a KO, and he also uses counter a lot at this time. I've also tried tricking him by attacking close to him and having him counter, but that doesn't always work.The problem with doing all this, I get very little damage to him because i'm being very defensive due to his counter.

My question for you Super Smash experts is, what is the best tactic that I can use to attack Marth, especially when he abuses his countering move and is pretty much an expert at Marth's timing and attacks? And please no sarcastic or witty replies like "Learn to use Marth and fight him with Marth instead" or anything like that.
Hm... I should probably put something here...

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Re: Needing Brawl Help
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:05:31 am »
Throws don't trigger a counterattack.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:06 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Im not sure if its the same as brawl (at times i hate UK...) but in Melee i always used to either: Bomb his as THEN run in and slash him up, or do links jump then down-attack. Its hard to judge the timing of it so always put my brothers off. If this fails, maybe try learning a super fast character like fox or C. Falcon?

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:43:43 am »
Well, I don't really want to have to learn to use a new character since it took me long enough to learn how to use Link, and I want to focus on mastering one character at a time. As far as throwing things go, I can't sit around throwing objects all day long which will get me nowhere. :/
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
Practice makes perfect. For any game. If he's better than you, then he's better than you. Can't do anything about it.
the a o d c
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:26:12 pm »
  • *whistle*
Yes it will. You need to learn Link's strengths and weaknesses, as well as Marth's:

Link:
-Slow (it's true, you know it, I know it)
-Very good range
-Relies on projectile attacks

You have three projectile attacks. That's more than.... well.... just about any other character. Use them to create an opening (seriously, just try it. Fire arrows, throw the boomerang, throw bombs - anything and everything until he's hit by one of them), then run in with Link's run attack, or Link Down Air, both of which are potent attacks, which can sometimes create openings for more combos.

Now, what about Marth? He's fast, but has no range beyond his sword, creates the most damage at the tip, and has a powerful counter. Meaning what? Attack either a) well beyond the range of his sword or b) so close his damage ability is reduced. And only ever attack with slow attacks when you know he'll be unable to counter them. Simple.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:40:40 pm »
Pyru, what you said really does stand out even though it's things that I already knew, but it does give me some ideas... Also AoCD, it's not really a competition of me becoming better than my friend or gaining my revenge, but it's to prove that I can get better at a game which he probably thinks I can't... He wasn't all that great, but after countless hours of practicing and simply gaining experience, he is now a challenge to our friends who were probably able to beat him down. Maybe i'll never become better than him from the current experience he has, but then my two choices are to either improve or stay where i'm at and would rather improve so I think I can do something about it. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 51 queries.