Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Submission] Hyrule Town  (Read 4338 times)

[Submission] Hyrule Town
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:37:00 am »
  • It's just Max.
So, this is one of my first tries at more orchestral or instrumental songwriting, but I wanted to play with some stuff and try video game composition. I'd really love to hear some feedback on this, probably more for my own learning- I don't know if I'll learn enough to get anything good enough for the game, or if I even have software to produce music that'll work. Or what format we need.

But anyway, I did a melody aiming for the feel of Hyrule Town or Field:

https://soundcloud.com/max-mraz/hyrule-town

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:43:18 am by Donotfeedthemax »
Re: [Submission] Hyrule Town or Field maybe
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:08:38 am »
  • Just call me Brad
 :o thats awesome dude! Its really beautiful and it does fit the town. For the field maybe We can do a theme that males you want to explore? I dont know :P
Anyway it sounds great! What programa did you use to make this?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Ah, awesome!  Let me lay down some audio things to follow...

First one, the format.  We're using ogg vorbis, so the format is .ogg
Second, they should always be loopable.  The ending of a tune should be able to easily go into the beginning.
Third, keep 'em short!  If you listen to most Zelda tunes, they're only about half a minute to 45 seconds long (maybe in a minute for some).  They just loop over and over in a way that makes them seem longer.  This cuts down on our work as well as the filesize.

I don't know what software you use Max (I personally use Fruity Loops), but I found some great retro soundfonts in the depths of my harddrive.  They're actually ripped straight from Minish Cap and Ocarina of Time, so they'll add a nice touch if mixed in properly!  I'll get those to you later today.

And I'm sure this will go without saying, but some of the music (hyrule field especially) should have some tunes familiar to Zelda in them :)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:51:52 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Sweet. I used to use FL Studio, which I might still have on my computer. I have Ableton Live somewhere around here too. I did this in the GarageBand app on my tablet, so I don't think I have an .ogg export option, I'll look into that :/

I didn't know if anyone would notice, but the main melody line with this theme is actually from Wind Waker / Minish Cap's intro theme, just moved from a minor key into major. Then combined with melody parts from Twilight Princess's Hyrule Town theme. Anyway, it seems like Hyrule Town has a different theme in every game, but I was trying to get this one to still feel familiar. I think where I failed was it's pretty much straight-up happy, and our Hyrule Town is more conflicted :/

(Btw, something that's actually really interesting- if you look at many different themes from Zelda games, lots start with a two and a half step down interval, like Bb to F.)

So yeah, I'll see what other software I can use to try and get something into .ogg, and see if I can use that soundfont when you send it my way :D
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 04:06:44 pm »
If you're having trouble with ogg, you can load the completed song as a wav into Audacity and export as ogg from there

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:48:33 am »

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 04:20:32 am »
  • It's just Max.
Sweet. I'm trying to use FL Studio for the first time since high school and it's hilarious. Just angrily demanding things from the program like, where is your timeline! Do you even have one of those? What is this step sequencer nonsense!? Why can't you be more like Ableton!?

But it feels super awesome to be using the soundfonts from Minish Cap :D Especially because the garageband app I use for most of my recording only has like four virtual instruments that aren't just synths.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 04:31:58 am »
bahaha dude I'm in the same boat, this interface is driving me nuts!  I haven't touched this software in years probably xD

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:31:24 pm »
  • It's just Max.
So, I don't think this is quite done yet, I'm gonna try adding a little more but it's a start to get the feel for what it'll sound like with the MC Soundfont.

So hey, are we going to have different music during the day/night for some areas? I feel like we should, at least for the Field and Town. Or we could just have a general "night sounds" track that plays at night, like crickets and occasional violin or something, like Twilight Princess.

Which reminds me of another thing- as it stands, there's no way for the player to change from day to night. Most games where there's day and night (OoT, MM, WW) have a song to switch back and forth, which I appreciated immensely. I don't remember if Twilight Princess had that or not. But I feel like we should.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 05:51:24 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
How about a sleeping mechanism? You can go to any house and just sleep till night (if its daytime) or till day (if its nightime) pretty much like in Skyward Sword.

Edit: and link did sleep in minish cap, if you went to your house and go beside your bed, you would go to sleep, which I think it was used to replentish all health? Not sure.

Edit2: Twilight princess had something to change from day to night. If you went to the city in the sky at night time it will directly turn it to daytime. So when leaving it would be daytime. Same thing happens in reverse when you entre the Twilight realm. When you leave its always nightime.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:57:49 pm by Spritonic »
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 04:14:02 pm »
  • It's just Max.
So, this is potentially at a finished level? I think it'd be sweet if maybe a couple other people put in on a loop in the background of what they were doing and tested to see if it drove them crazy after 15 minutes. My main worry is that it's too short, the loop is about 18 seconds long. I could try to add in a third melody section if it feels to repetitive and aggravating. If this is Hyrule Town, the player could potentially be spending a ton of time running around since it's the busiest and sidequest-iest area and they need to keep coming back, so I figure if the music gets annoying here of all places, that'd be the worst.

So I think the City in the Sky thing was more like a glitch than an intentional way to change the day/night, particularly since it's super impractical :p A sleeping mechanism seems like it'd work well. Let's make another topic about that.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 05:35:27 pm »
I'll give the new one a listen when I get home!

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 05:46:35 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
So, this is potentially at a finished level? I think it'd be sweet if maybe a couple other people put in on a loop in the background of what they were doing and tested to see if it drove them crazy after 15 minutes. My main worry is that it's too short, the loop is about 18 seconds long. I could try to add in a third melody section if it feels to repetitive and aggravating. If this is Hyrule Town, the player could potentially be spending a ton of time running around since it's the busiest and sidequest-iest area and they need to keep coming back, so I figure if the music gets annoying here of all places, that'd be the worst.

So I think the City in the Sky thing was more like a glitch than an intentional way to change the day/night, particularly since it's super impractical :p A sleeping mechanism seems like it'd work well. Let's make another topic about that.

It fits so well to the town, dude! It´s awesome and I think its even better that the one from minish cap!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 11:08:06 pm »
I'm digging it!  I'll add it in tonight!

Darklink45

aka Faded Led
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 07:20:09 pm »
It sounds awesome, really has that Zelda feel. The melody is catchy as hell also, but having a third melody section would give it (obviously) much more variety. The only thing I can nit-pick is the guitar, it feels a little flat to me, maybe adding a C# (I think thats the base note) in between some repeating notes would make it more dynamic.

Amazing job dude!
Personal site: Faded Led
People die when they are killed.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 09:52:46 am »
Sounds really official and catchy! I'm getting vibes from Twilight Princess and Minish Cap. It feels like being in a huge busy town to be sure. I don't think it would work well for a field though. It lacks an adventure feel to it, so maybe compose another song for the field instead. I also agree with what Darklink said, I think that should do the trick.
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 11:13:33 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Sweet, thanks for the feedback. I agree, Shane, about it not being adventurous enough for the field, it'll be Hyrule Town then, I'm glad you guys are psyched about the melody. DarkLink, it is indeed in C#, which is weird since I started writing it in Bb minor, but it morphed and gained a major feel :p

Anyway, yes, the guitar was weird. Check out this .ogg attachment, I redid it with Minish Cap soundfonts so it sounds like it's straight from that game now, and there's no flat guitar. We'll probably stick with these instruments for the game.

I'll probably play around with adding a third section over the next few days. Although I've got a few job interviews coming up so that might take precedence :p
Re: [Submission] Hyrule Town
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 04:06:33 am »
  • It's just Max.
Okay, messed with a few little things (a couple bass notes here and there, upped the tempo by like one or two bpm so not really at all).

But mainly, I added in a third part/melody. It wasn't flowing very well as an ABC structure, so I did ABAC, so like the first melody repeats between the second melody and the third melody. This makes the loop like a minute long, so very much on the long side, but again, I'm thinking for Hyrule Town where the player will be spending the most time, that might be good.

I wasn't super original with the third part, it's basically a main Zelda theme, but I kinda like that it tags in with the main theme. The build to it might be a little clumsy though, and I'm thinking now that maybe the clarinet instrument should do a harmony and let the strings do the main melody, so I'll listen again tomorrow and see how it feel about it.

The third section I just added begins at about 58 seconds, if others would like to give it a listen and give some feedback on how the transition to that goes.

Also, if my laptop ever dies and FL Studio closes, that's the final version of the song because I have the demo version and you can't save projects, you have to do everything in one go XD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 76 queries.

anything