Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Which game should be remade as part of the Community Project?

Link's Awakening
- 16 (34.8%)
Oracle of Ages
- 1 (2.2%)
Oracle of Seasons
- 3 (6.5%)
Majora's Mask
- 16 (34.8%)
Wind Waker
- 7 (15.2%)
(Something else, specifiy with post)
- 3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Project's Game  (Read 21035 times)

Re: Community Project's Game
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2009, 06:51:24 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Link's Awakening sounds Ideal and within our range of capability.  Do an easy game first, then work towards a bigger one afterwards.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2009, 08:23:53 pm »
Indeed, it would be the easiest to go with - there are some good resources that we can use to make the project as well. While doing Link's Awakening may not be some people's first choice, with an open source engine, people would be able to make their own attempts at something different.
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2009, 08:27:12 pm »
OK, now the choice would be. Do we do it in MC, ALttP, Oracle or LADX style.
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2009, 08:31:59 pm »
The style is going to be Minish Cap due to it being modern - the engine for the community project itself is going to use Minish Cap graphics, so the game itself which relies partly on the engine will also be using Minish Cap graphics.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2009, 12:58:57 am »
I voted something else. The NES Zelda (First one) would be easy to recreate. If LA takes a nosedive then this would be my second option.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2009, 01:55:36 am »
I voted something else. The NES Zelda (First one) would be easy to recreate. If LA takes a nosedive then this would be my second option.
The problem of doing NES Zelda is that uhm... The NES Zelda is so plain, it's just the dungeons and a world map with enemies and a few items. If we take NES Zelda it would be better to remake it adding stuff to the game, like making bigger and more complex dungeons with more modern puzzles and a decent overworld map.

Jeod

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2009, 01:58:12 am »
Yes, but that's where the project becomes ours and not just a remake of an older game.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2009, 02:19:57 am »
The original NES would arguably be the easiest to do, but like sjegtp said, it would be the plainest. Having a Minish Cap based engine though working with a game based on the original Legend of Zelda game though could be a mismatch in terms of what the engine offers to what the game would feature. The most difficult part would be creating multiple world pieces that did not seem overly repetitive even though the original was due to its primitive graphics. If Link's Awakening gets to be too much somehow though, because the Minish Cap engine is separate, stopping the Link's Awakening one and moving to something else if needed would not be hard to do.

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2009, 04:04:43 pm »
Okay... So... Let's consider it a tie between Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening. Now what? What's next?
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2009, 04:14:37 pm »
As I previously stated in this topic, if it is close, the project that will be done will be the one which is the easiest to do. This means that if Link's Awakening is down by one or two votes, has the same amount of votes as Majora's Mask, or is above Majora's Mask by one or two votes that Link's Awakening will be the one that is done.

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2009, 04:18:23 pm »
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I was suggesting we go ahead and call it a tie and move on to the next phase. :P
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2009, 04:34:01 pm »
Well your wording did seem a little implicative that a tie would lead to either a new or unknown result. My use of the word "close" to include a tie as well may have also been a little unclear; when the results are tied, they are as close as they can be because the displacement between them is zero (typically, closeness indicates being displaced by some small value).

But anyway, yeah, this poll has been open long enough - it's going to be Link's Awakening. Thanks to everyone who voted. For the people that wanted to do Majora's Mask, nothing is stopping you from attempting parts of it yourself, and once there is a functional Minish Cap engine, you'll have something else to work with to that end.

But yeah, if any of that got lost in the wall of text, we are going to do Link's Awakening. I have to think about how the Minish Cap engine for it is going to be coordinated though so the next phase might not happen instantly.
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2009, 07:49:02 pm »
Come on people, don't just stop posting the moment we decide what game to do.
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2009, 07:52:30 pm »
In case no one saw it, I posted a topic in the News/Updates board which is looking for those familiar with programming/scripting in Game Maker. I have already made the boards for this Community Project as child boards of this section, they are just hidden to non-staff as well.

Jeod

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2009, 01:20:04 am »
Well here's my progress so far on Koholint LttP. Credit to Niek, too. I appreciate his work and probably would've given up if not for him.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4729/koholint.png

Now, since LttP and MC tiles are the same size (16x16) I can convert the map pretty easily. Just point me to the tileset to use. Also, I'd need to know what format it needs to be in for use in Game Maker. (Should bushes be cut? Doors opened? Does it need to be gridded like MaJora's maps?)

D-Pad

A.K.A. Gyrowolf
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2009, 02:09:42 am »
Animated objects (which include doors, bushes, etc) are usually loaded into Game Maker seperately from the background images as sprites.

Once loaded into Game Maker, background images can also be used as "tiles" by checking an option on the background's option panel. This allows the background to be used as a tileset in the room editor. It is not neccessary to draw grid lines on the tile image or space out the individual tiles as long as the tiles are an equal length apart on the image. Backgrounds can only have one frame, so no animations.

Jeod

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2009, 02:10:57 am »
So, cut bushes, leave doors open?

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2009, 02:12:28 am »
Yup. You got it Jeod.
  • Pyxosoft

Jeod

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2009, 10:01:50 pm »
Well I seem to recall the game was (correct me if I'm wrong) Link's Awakening Advance. I know there's behind-the-scenes work and all, but why a lack of updates for what's happening?

« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:43 pm »
This is not going to be rushed to the point of abortion and those working on it have real lives and schoolwork. The beginning of the engine is not that difficult to implement so long as it is done right. When it is sunny outside that is where I would rather be instead of here all the time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 79 queries.