Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Completed] Zelda Classic (Beta 2.11 12d available)  (Read 5771 times)

The J-Man

[Completed] Zelda Classic (Beta 2.11 12d availab...
« on: September 04, 2006, 02:31:22 am »
(I'm a developer for this project, so I can post this)

http://www.zeldaclassic.com <--- The site which hosts the latest stable version of ZC, v2.10

Zelda Classic is, if you don't know already, a Zelda engine based initially on the Z1 engine, but now expanded to do much more than that. There are still many limitations that need to be addressed (the fact that the screen is at a set size, can't be scrolled except between rooms, the relatively small selection of enemy AIs, weapons, and items, and the VERY archaic string sytem). However, despite these limitations, it's an extremely powerful engine that makes making your own Zelda games a piece of cake. What's better is it's improvements coming in the next few months, in addition to improvements already made. We've implemented Z3-style walking for Link, a big Link sprite (with bigger enemy sprites on the way), methods of carrying over secrets to other rooms, more game options and screen options for a more dynamic gameplay experience, freeform objects that cotain movement data, better warping options, and in the latest betas currently being tested, the start of a brand spaking new scripting system. That's right, soon enough there'll be a mature C-like scripting language that'll allow any ZC usr to customize his quest into the ultimate gameplay experience.

Yeah yeah, part of that sounded like an infomercial, but it's a neccesary evil to sell the concept to n00bs and vets alike. Note that ZC was never meant to be a replacement for stuff like Game Maker, but instead be an environment where anyone with a good head for design could realize a Zelda game without any of the programming know-how. And yet, with the advent of scripting, those who DO have programming know-how can take advantage of that knowledge. Of course, as with all in-development programs (BTW, if this belongs in WIP despite having a completed version, someone move this please?) there will be bugs with the latest betas. But we're working on improving the program every day and hope to have a new stable release some time within the next month.

Note that I want this to be a discussion on ZC itself, not neccesarily of its quests. To be perfectly honest, I don't fully condone putting ZC quests here as Zelda related projects, because it takes a lot of hard work and effort to program an engine yourself AND design the elements of a good game. but hey, if the rules allow it, be my guest.

And simply to keep up the standards of this forum, some screenshots. Actually, some comparison shots of the original first quest, and a v2.11 test quest. The original quest comes packaged with ZC:

http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/downloads.php#zc - The downloads page for the 2.10 version of ZC

=======================LATEST BETA==========================
Zelda Classic v2.11 Beta 12d

http://darknation.armageddongames.net/zc/zc211b12w-d.zip - Beta 12d programs
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/zc/zc211b12ws-b.zip - Support archive (you'll need both of these files to play the beta)
http://darknation.armageddongames.net/zc/alleg42.zip - Allegro 4.2.0 DLL (also needed since we use a slightly modified version of Allegro)

http://knj.randomskk.net/zc/ZC-O-b12d.tar.bz2 - The entire archive for OS X users 10.3.8 and older
http://knj.randomskk.net/zc/ZC-N-b12d.tar.bz2 - The entire archive for OS X users 10.3.9 and newer.
==========================================================

Remember, there WILL be bugs. Report any to the beta forums at http://www.armageddongames.net . Also go there for the latest news on Zelda Classic developments.

And remember, if this belongs in WIP, then someone move this please.

EDIT - Fixed the image links.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:51:35 am by 4Sword »
Re: Zelda Classic (Beta 2.11 12d available)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:54:40 pm »
  • Loopier than a bowl of Cheerios
Haven't played Zelda classic for a long time. My problem with it, like the rest of the fan game world is that so few projects ever get completed. Still....I might download it again to play some new stuff....Whatever happened to OPen Zelda? that was being made by the same people wasn't it?

ZFGC Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:27:57 pm »
The newest version is currently 2.11 beta 14, update please?

gm112

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:29:54 pm »
Make a new topic if you want an update.

Wisedumbmonkey

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:27:45 am »
Whatever happened to Open Zelda? that was being made by the same people wasn't it?
I think they eventually gave up on it. I made a game with ZC once, it was only 3 dungeons long though.

Koh

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:31:13 am »
  • Tamer Koh
holy crap dude, major bump there.

Anyway the latest release is in Builds now and the latest build is 142 (Beta 16)
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 06:32:35 pm »
  • odens knop
I hate ZC, it's like a crappy RPG Maker for only Zelda games.
|LEUS HERTAN MINAT|
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:19:48 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I dislike ZC as a tool for creating games, but that is more personal preference (being the control freak I am, I like to be in as much control over what happens as possible :P), however as a program I personally have a deep respect for it. It is an accurate, and skilled, representation of the Zelda NES Engine which features many advanced features even the NES engine did not have.

Ironic isn't it, that if the same engine was used as a Fan Game, without being publically useable, it would be hailed as awesome, however as it is open for use by anyone, it is recieving a lot of bad criticism.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 10:28:04 pm »
It wouldn't be so awfull if it wasn't for the fact that a) its limiting and b) you can't compile stand-alone exe's, the end yser must install the run-time to play the games (it's not like its even hard to do that, all you have to do is attach the game file onto the end of the engine-exe and make it read it in at runtime).
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 06:36:07 am »
It wouldn't be so awfull if it wasn't for the fact that a) its limiting and b) you can't compile stand-alone exe's, the end yser must install the run-time to play the games (it's not like its even hard to do that, all you have to do is attach the game file onto the end of the engine-exe and make it read it in at runtime).
I'll second that!
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 03:42:09 pm »
But remember, some people aren't advanced at programming as you, and as J-man said, there's a programming language that might be added, and some other goodies too. Just give it some time.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 10:21:09 pm »
But remember, some people aren't advanced at programming as you
Sorry, but anyone with enough knowledge to program a zelda game / editor in C is more than capable of appending a game file to an exe and reading it back - Its as simple as that, no complex programming skills required.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 05:33:42 pm »
have you considered the notion that they may not want to do that, considering the number of quests available
i wouldn't say its worth adding that capability, i can't see any reason why someone would want to slap on a few extra megabytes because they're too lazy to play it the normal way.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 05:49:45 pm »
i can't see any reason why someone would want to slap on a few extra megabytes because they're too lazy to play it the normal way.
Well first of all it would only be a few kilobytes if they code the engine efficiently. I prefer to make things easy and simplistic for the end user (they are your target audience after all) by making games as easy as possible to play (eg. Download 1 exe and play; not download and install 1 SDK / Engine and then download and install your quest, then run the engine and open up the quest and play it!). I know for one that I have been put of downloading any ZC quests as I can't be bother to download and install ZC just to play it, its to much hastle.

I guess you and I are just different people.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:51:25 pm by Infinitus »
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 01:34:43 pm »
  • Minalien
I agree with infintus, it's the exact same reason I never play any RPG Maker games, I'd have to download their RTPs to have the resources to play most of the games, and THEN download the game, and that's just too much of a hassle for a game that probably isn't all that great because the developer probably didn't put too much thought into its development.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 03:18:05 pm »
I agree with infintus, it's the exact same reason I never play any RPG Maker games, I'd have to download their RTPs to have the resources to play most of the games, and THEN download the game, and that's just too much of a hassle for a game that probably isn't all that great because the developer probably didn't put too much thought into its development.
Agreed and the rpg maker rtp's can be anywhere from 5megs and over 20 megs....for a mediocre game-_-
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 70 queries.