Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

What language should be used?

C#/XNA
- 11 (61.1%)
C++
- 3 (16.7%)
Java
- 0 (0%)
Game Maker
- 4 (22.2%)
Other (Please Specify)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 15, 2011, 02:04:46 am

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Language  (Read 4842 times)

POLL: Language
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:04:46 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
We need to choose a language.  This will run for a week.  The project managers are currently pushing for C#/XNA, however, we're leaving it to the community to decide.

EDIT: People voting for Game Maker, please keep in mind that GM WILL be used regardless of the choice for prototyping and concept testing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:03:49 pm by MG-Zero »

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Re: POLL: Language
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:21:42 am »
I chose Game Maker because it's the only thing I know, but when school starts, I'll be taking computer science and learn Java and C++. If GM is chosen, I'll be able to help out a lot. If C++ or Java, I'll be able to help a bit in the future.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:27:28 am »
Ah well this answers my question in the other topic. Yeah I'll be up for either C#/XNA or Game Maker. I voted C#/XNA because I really want to see a good engine come out for it.
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »
  • Minalien
I prefer C++, because it would make things easier to port (to my knowledge, there is no fully-featured Mono clone of XNA yet), though writing it in C# with, say, OpenGL wouldn't be too bad. Either way, I'm more than willing to jump on as a programmer if it'll be written in C# or C++. Though prototyping and idea/concept testing can (and honestly, should) still be done in Game Maker to aid the designers in getting a feel for their ideas, the final product should be written in C++ or C# for performance and portability reasons.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »
I agree, Game Maker is more than suitable for prototyping.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »
  • Minalien
As a side note, it may also be a good idea to elect a coding style guide upon which to base the style guide used for whatever is eventually chosen. I'm personally a fan of the Google C++ Style Guide, but we'll want to keep things syntactically similar between programmers regardless of the language.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:57:31 pm by Minalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »
I chose GM because although I can program in C++, I feel more confident with GM currently
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:07 pm »
  • Minalien
I swapped my vote over to C#, as it'll be less of a hassle to write the engine in. Though I strongly feel that there will be at least a minor amount of C++ written, so combining C# with C++ through DLLs (DllImport) would be the best route to certain, time-sensitive or advanced functionality, such as the scripting system.

Also I'd be happy to be in charge of writing these native Interop modules. <.<
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:41:03 pm by Minalien »

• Development Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:31:09 am »
If you decide to go with C#/XNA I'd be interested in learning the ropes to that as I go, at least doing small sections of code here and there.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »
  • Minalien
Nice to see C# winning out.

For those of you voting on Game Maker, are you considering the fact that there is still a considerable amount of scripting that can/should be done? The portions written in C++ or C# will primarily be the engine systems itself (entity management, finite state machines, etc), while the game mechanics can easily be relegated to a scripting language such as Lua or Squirrel.

Game Maker will also still find a lot of use in creating prototypes so that mechanics and gameplay/design ideas can be tested before they make their way into the core engine, where such changes could take time to implement and test, which would go to waste if we were to end up dropping or drastically changing the mechanics of it.

• Development Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 10:21:33 pm »
  • Minalien
I love the fact that the C# solution's jumping so far ahead.

On this note, I'm thinking that IronRuby would be an excellent scripting solution for the project. Ruby's a pretty language, object-oriented, shouldn't be too difficult for GML-programmers to grasp, and is both easy to implement within a .NET environment.

• Development Blog

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:33 am »
Just going to say this right now so it doesn't get mixed up with being a bad sport that GM isn't the winner. If C# is the winner, I probably will have to resign my post and move to designing because I have never used C# and I've only used C++ so I would need to use C# for the first time before even thinking about programming a game in it.

Of course I love programming so I'm rooting for C++ and GM. If not, well I'll be moving to the Design team
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 01:22:10 pm »
You know C# is incredibly similar to C++, right?  Like..you can pick it up in a few days if you know C++.  Also, Software Engineering is not limited to just programming, as you see from the requirements thread.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »
You know C# is incredibly similar to C++, right?  Like..you can pick it up in a few days if you know C++.  Also, Software Engineering is not limited to just programming, as you see from the requirements thread.
Oh really? I take it back then LOL
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 07:36:47 pm »
Well then please contribute to the requirements thread :)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 06:06:13 am »
Well then please contribute to the requirements thread :)
Will do. Doing it now
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 72 queries.