Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Hoffy Review: Banjo-Tooie.  (Read 6554 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
A Hoffy Review: Banjo-Tooie.
« on: December 15, 2007, 07:54:30 am »
  • Silly cat!
A Hoffy Review:
Banjo-Tooie

Developer: Rare
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: USA: November 19, 2000, AUST: April 12, 2001
Genre: Platformer, Action/Adventure
Rating: E (ESRB), G (OFLC)
Platform: Nintendo 64
Players: 4

Back in the fifth generation of gaming, UK-based game developer Rare was outstandingly popular for their massive contribution to not only Nintendo's home console, the Nintendo 64, but to Nintendo gamers worldwide. They were the developer second to Nintendo; when gamers weren't fishing for the Hylian Loach in Ocarina of Time or finishing the last few missions in Super Mario 64, they were going ape with Rare's Donkey Kong 64 or shooting down their friends in Goldeneye 007. But perhaps Rare's most outrageous, most creative, most critically acclaimed Nintendo 64 game would have been Banjo-Kazooie. Released in 1998, Rare challenged Nintendo's 3D Mario masterpiece by cleverly pairing up a bear and a bird in a adventurous and sometimes humorous fairy tale. In many ways, and much like Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie refined the 3D Platforming genre. Unlike Super Mario 64 however, it received a sequel...

Gameplay: 9.5
From the word go, Banjo-Tooie is a vastly different experience to it's predecessor. Not only have Rare taken extra special care in cutscene work, but they've obviously taken into account just how capable the Nintendo 64 is, and how to really produce an enormous quest. Possibly one of the more noticeable changes from Banjo-Kazooie is the level design. The worlds in Banjo-Tooie are humongous, and they only get bigger as the game progresses. One of the later stages, Grunty's Industries, features five massive floors as well as an outer area and rooftop. All up, that level would have to be the size of about four or five Mumbo's Mountains, and it will take you around two hours just to explore all of it. But that's just the icing on the cake - even the first world is reasonably large. Of course, given the increased scale of these worlds, the Jiggies (the game's primary collectible - ten in every level) take more and more effort to collect as the quest goes on, meaning you can't simply find the Jiggy and approach it, you need to complete a large amount of tasks. Some of these tasks might even involve doing something in another world and then finding out how to cast this effect across multiple game worlds. Also new to the series is the inclusion of a real boss battle in every stage. These bosses require you to use moves acquired in the stage, and while they are big, scary and sometimes funny, their weak spots are pretty obvious and they don't provide much of a challenge. But when it comes to collectibles, players will want to find all one hundred notes, all three empty honeycombs, all three Cheato scripts, all ten Jiggies and much more across all nine worlds. The amount of work that needs to be done is almost intimidating. In other words, it's obvious Rare has taken careful consideration and an unbelievable amount of planning in order to get all of the jigsaw pieces of this game to fit smoothly. And, they've succeeded.

There are also several new features to Banjo-Tooie that prove just how flexible the franchise is. You start with all of your old moves from the other game, but new moves can also be learnt. With Bottles absent from this quest, players will be learning new moves from his brother, Jamjars. Such include the Split Up, which basically breaks up Banjo and Kazooie for some solo missions, a wide variety of new eggs to fire from Kazooie's beak (or behind), and there's also two new pairs of shoes to try on. Not only that, but there's now a transformation in every world, meaning you'll be able to morph Banjo and Kazooie as a monstrous T-Rex or, if you will, as a Submarine. One feature that came as a large shock to me was the inclusion of some First-Person Shooter missions in which Banjo holds Kazooie out in front of him and then fires eggs like Joanna would in Perfect Dark. The tasks involving this new feature are few, although this doesn't come as a large shame as the control scheme for this FPSing isn't quite as refined as Perfect Dark, or any other FPS on the system. As if that isn't enough, you can also call up to three friends to join in on the FPS action with the help of a well implemented multiplayer mode. This mode also feature several other minigames you can play with your friends, all of which were featured in the singleplayer adventure mode. A very welcomed feature indeed. Oh, and let's not forget that you can play as the old shaman, Mumbo Jumbo.

"Players will really need to use their noggins this time around."

As if Banjo-Kazooie hadn't perfected 3D Platforming well enough, Banjo-Tooie goes a few more steps forward by offering some of the best tasks the genre has to offer. The controls have been very much improved since the bear and bird's last outing, having been tweaked slightly for some tighter platforming. Most of the controls remain pretty much the same, with the A button providing the jumps and the B button supplying some offensive skills. Camera control is also very well done, as there's never a blind moment to be had, and never a camera angle that's not good enough. Veteran players will also find just how much harder the main quest is compared to the original. The answer isn't always clear in Banjo-Tooie - players will really need to use their noggins this time around. Combine this with the fact that you have all of the moves you learnt in Banjo-Kazooie straight up, and it can almost be said that Banjo-Tooie is an expansion of the original. Of course, even if you didn't play the original, the sequel is very appealing to platform and action freaks alike. Clocking at about around 20 hours without collecting everything, and towards 40 hours with, Banjo-Tooie will have players hooked for weeks upon end.

Visit a circus... in a game!

Graphics: 7.5
Here's the good: Banjo-Tooie is quite possibly the prettiest game on the Nintendo 64. Rare really outdid themselves when it came to the texture work in this title - landscapes look fantastic thanks to some bright and varied colours, cute animation and outstanding model execution and design, all of which were evident in Banjo-Kazooie. New in Banjo-Tooie are real-time lighting, some sweet particle effects and improved draw distances, each of which definitely goes a long way. Whether you're exploring the underground shafts in Glitter Gulch Mine or carefully trekking the treacherous slopes of Hailfire Peaks, the game never fails to look gorgeous. But here's the bad: the framerate is an inconsistent dog-of-a-thing. More often than most times you'll find the framerate will drop below 30 frames a second... sometimes it will even hit 15. In larger areas this will harshly affect your gameplay experience. There's just no excuse Rare - Banjo-Kazooie looked just as good but it's framerate was satisfactory. Perhaps Rare should have taken more time to compress and optimize; maybe cut down on the real-time lighting or lower the texture detail. There really isn't an excuse Rare, the game shouldn't be so beautiful it should ruin the essentials.

"The MIDI medleys played throughout Banjo-Tooie top even those of the Zelda duo."

Sound: 10.0
There's no doubt about it, Banjo-Tooie has one of the best soundtracks Rare has ever composed. You shouldn't really expect much else from the creators of Banjo-Kazooie; Rare do know how to compose vastly different themes for vastly different worlds. You can approach Banjo-Tooie with the expectations of circus-esque themes for Witchyworld, a deep-sea orchestra for Jolly Roger's Lagoon, as well as the prehistoric Jurassic score for Terrydactyland. The MIDI medleys played throughout Banjo-Tooie top even those of the Zelda duo. Sound effects are also as comical as they have ever been, from cute cries, bellows, winces and squeals for a broad list of characters, to the grown-up voice of Banjo himself. There isn't a more immersive game on the Nintendo 64. Oh, and promise me you'll stop to listen to the awesome Isle O' Hags theme all the way through - it really is brilliant.

Not shown: Mumbo sleeping. HWAT?

Story: 8.0
Two years have passed since the brave Banjo and the bad-mouthed Kazooie invaded Gruntilda's Lair, messed up the place, and kicked the butt of the evil witch herself. On a dark, stormy night, during a poker game, Banjo, Kazooie, Mumbo Jumbo and Bottles the Mole hear a strange noise outside. Chivalrously, Mumbo Jumbo leaves Banjo's house to investigate. He sees a large vehicular drill blast its way through Spiral Mountain, approaching the boulder under which the mean, old witch is buried. Two other witches emerge from the vehicle, revive the witch Gruntilda into skeleton form and watch her as she fires a blast of a dark magic at Banjo's home! Banjo, Kazooie and Mumbo Jumbo barely escape - but Bottles succumbs to the witch's evil deeds. Naturally, it's up to Banjo and Kazooie to follow the trail of Gruntilda and her sisters and stop her from retrieving her body and reaching full strength! It's obvious from the opening cinema that Banjo-Tooie isn't really the fairy tale that it's predecessor was. Banjo-Tooie is slightly more grown up, with darker themes, light sexual references and "toilet humor". It's almost like an E-rated Conker's Bad Fur Day, if you will. But this is by no means a bad thing, this title still features clever dialogue, advanced cutscene work and some very memorable characters. The plot itself is just rather bland, it doesn't really evolve until the final stages of the game, and even then it isn't really the "fairy tale epic" that Banjo-Kazooie was.

Overall: 9.0
Banjo-Tooie is one of Rare's swan songs for not only the Nintendo 64, but for the company of Nintendo as a whole. It was one of the last games released on the system before Rare defected to Microsoft, and it definitely stands as a memorable sequel and terrific game. While the framerate is generally unbearable and the story isn't much to hoot at, Banjo-Tooie features one of the best soundtracks on the system, tight platforming mechanics, a huge amount of collectibles and things to do, diverse worlds to explore and a reasonable multiplayer mode. It's good to know that Rare care, but maybe they should have thought a little harder before they decided that they should pass the Nintendo 64 beyond it's graphical limits. Better than Banjo-Kazooie? Some might say so, some might not. It doesn't really matter. Banjo-Tooie is Rare magic. Just don't give up on the difficult quest half-way so you can get an office job and make games. Look out for the Mario reference!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:08:27 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: A Hoffy Review: Banjo-Tooie.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:03:17 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
:( I actually completely disagree with this review... I found Banjo Tooie to be a bastardization of Rare's original Banjo Kazooie sequel intentions... (which, actually it was lol Rare scrapped the original setting for Banjo Tooie shortly after starting it)... I've always thought Rare's N64 game's music was mediocre at best... Though gameplay is right on in my book :D
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 08:26:28 am »
I actually agree with Mamo. I loved Banjo Kazooie more than any N64 game. When Tooie came out, I begged my mum for it and got it. I hated it after an hour and never played it again.

And... "The MIDI medleys played throughout Banjo-Tooie top even those of the Zelda duo."

I disagree =P.
the a o d c

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:47:44 am »
  • Silly cat!
I believe Kazooie is way better than Tooie, but I can't deny that it was still a very well made game... As for the music, I can't really deny how much I loved it in Tooie. I really think that the Banjo's soundtracks topped the Zelda's, albeit, not by a lot. Ocarina's sound is still second to none. Of course, that's just my opinion :P.

Hoffy.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 05:04:06 pm »
  • :3
Nice review, I agree with what you said- but I don't recall the framerates dropping that much. =\ I disagree with the fact that the soundtrack is better than those of OoT and MM, but I agree with you on the point that the music's orgasmic for an N64 game. Atmospheric, and perfectly suited to the level. Jolly Roger's lagoon was awesome- you really felt like you were at some pirate-age shoreside village, if that makes any sense. And Chilly Willy and Chilly Billy had the most awesome boss music ever created. Period.

I actually agree with Mamo. I loved Banjo Kazooie more than any N64 game. When Tooie came out, I begged my mum for it and got it. I hated it after an hour and never played it again.

And... "The MIDI medleys played throughout Banjo-Tooie top even those of the Zelda duo."

I disagree =P.

You !@#$%. How can you hate Banjo Tooie?
Gannon-banned brother.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 06:50:58 pm »
  • The Mike
I loved Banjo-Tooie! There's so much to do in the game compared to Banjo-Kazooie. In BK, I can get everything in less than 6 hours. In BT, it would take longer because there is a lot of backtracking to do. The frame rate never bothered me. It would happen to me in Hailfire Peaks: Lava Side a little bit. With the slow frame rate there, it made the level feel awesome in a strange way, I don't know why, but it did. Though, I never knew what frame rate was 6 years ago, it didn't keep me from playing the game. I agree, BT's music is fantastic. I liked the Spiral Mountain, Cauldron Keep, GI: Outside, and HF Peaks: Lava Side themes the most. The graphics were top-notch for an N64 title. If the game ever came to the VC, I'm sure Rare or Nintendo could fix frame rate issue or anything else that was messed, besides glitches of course if anybody liked them. I loved the story, even though it was gloomy in the beginning and a bit short at the end after beating Grunty, it was still good. Anyway, I could keep going on. I'd give BT anything above a 9.0 for sure. Maybe a 9.5, I dunno. It's your review, I'm just giving my thoughts.

• Zelda Eternity

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 01:42:56 am »
  • Silly cat!
Nice review, I agree with what you said- but I don't recall the framerates dropping that much. =\ I disagree with the fact that the soundtrack is better than those of OoT and MM, but I agree with you on the point that the music's orgasmic for an N64 game. Atmospheric, and perfectly suited to the level. Jolly Roger's lagoon was awesome- you really felt like you were at some pirate-age shoreside village, if that makes any sense. And Chilly Willy and Chilly Billy had the most awesome boss music ever created. Period.
Right, maybe saying it's music surpasses OoT and MM was a bit of bold statement, but it definitely surpasses on some levels. While OoT and MM remain more rhythmic and more atmospheric, the Banjo games are exceptionally varied and feature a wide range of cultures, and a psuedo-orchestra sound. I just really enjoyed Tooie's music, especially for N64.

And I can understand people not noticing the framerate (it might just be a PAL thing) but it was really terrible for me. After playing Banjo-Tooie I went back and played Kazooie for a few minutes, and I realised how much smoother the game moved, especially Banjo. It's just really unbearable in comparison to other N64 titles.

Hoffy.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 03:40:23 am »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
I loved the Banjo series, in Banjo-Kazooie I remember click clock woods(being the last world and all)probably the most time consuming level but I loved the change of seasons.

I never got the chance to finish Banjo-Tooie as I hired it many years ago, 1 week was just simply not enough time for me to finish it :P.

I'd have to agree here, the music matched up perfectly, Jolly Roger's Lagoon was one of my favourites because of that reason.

Anyone ever played Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge for the GBA and was majorly disappointed? It felt nothing like what it should feel like, only like 6 worlds and very short gameplay. At least having those 2 great titles on the 64 make up for it :).
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 03:52:58 am »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
 XD I loved the Banjo series! the original was awesome! To bad Banjo Threeie or whatever won't be on the Wii.  :'(

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 04:03:18 am »
  • b e p i s
I loved the Banjo series, in Banjo-Kazooie I remember click clock woods(being the last world and all)probably the most time consuming level but I loved the change of seasons.

OH MY GOD. CLICK CLOCK WOODS IS ONE OF THE BEST LEVELS IN A GAME, EVER.

I just remembered I have a BK cart. :O
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 05:33:22 am »
  • Silly cat!
Lol yeah, Click Clock Wood is probably my favourite level in that game. How can you forget it? It's absolutely huge, and it's just an awesome idea for a level. I remember the first time I got there I was like "WTF?" because there was only one small room... then of course I accessed all the seasons >_>...

Hoffy.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...

I never got the chance to finish Banjo-Tooie as I hired it many years ago, 1 week was just simply not enough time for me to finish it :P.

I'd have to agree here, the music matched up perfectly, Jolly Roger's Lagoon was one of my favourites because of that reason.

Anyone ever played Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge for the GBA and was majorly disappointed? It felt nothing like what it should feel like, only like 6 worlds and very short gameplay. At least having those 2 great titles on the 64 make up for it :).

Yeah, I have BK: GR, I liked it. It was good to be on the GBA, seeing as microsoft had already bought Rare. B3 would be the only real game I want on XB360. I felt it did retain aspects of the game, It was great for the GBA. The Gra[hics were loveable.

I'll expand later, Must go to bed Nao!

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:29:31 pm »
  • The Mike
I might get BK:GR for christmas actually. I have it on my computer right now and it's pretty good. It stinks how I have to use a keyboard to play which gets complicated at times. I haven't played through all of it but I think the Candle is awesome.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 06:58:51 am »

I loved the GBA game. I never really played its N64 counterparts, though, so maybe I don't know any better.
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 10:01:20 pm »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
I guess I was just majorly disappointed with the lack of things to do, also the very limited replayability was another let down. After you get all 600 notes and all the jiggies what else is there to do after finishing it?

I guess it was an ok title but less than 6 hours of gameplay isn't enough for me, which is why the 2 N64 titles really stood out to me. There were the levels I fell in love with, Freezeezy Peak and Click Clock Wood had the best climax haha. Also another good thing about the banjo series is that Rare have obviously done a few things to add mystery to some of the misclanious things. Still, it would of been nice if you were able to explore grunty's lair in Banjo-Tooie, maybe one day in a future title perhaps?
I like potato.
  • My Myspace

mit

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 10:23:41 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Argh, compared to Kazooie, Tooie's music was hopeless. I can still remember almost every tune from Kazooie, Tooie was not nearly as good on that front. And I actually thought the levels in Tooie were smaller and shorter than the original.

Still, both great games.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 02:22:03 am »
  • The Mike
Argh, compared to Kazooie, Tooie's music was hopeless. I can still remember almost every tune from Kazooie, Tooie was not nearly as good on that front. And I actually thought the levels in Tooie were smaller and shorter than the original.

Still, both great games.
Are you kidding me? The levels in BT were larger compared to BK and how are they shorter. The levels in BK took about a half-hour each, the levels in BT take more time then that. The music in BT was just as good as BK.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:26:04 am by Hammer Bro. Mike »

• Zelda Eternity

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 03:55:59 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I agree with Hoffy here. Except for the camera. Sometimes it sticks in bad locations. I've actually walked off a cliff I couldn't see because the camera was poorly positioned. But that's why I always hold R down while moving now so it stays behind me. And not behind a wall. And there were some levels in Kazooie you could beat 100% first time through, but there aren't any like that in Tooie. And the scale of the levels is bigger than in Tooie. Was there a level in Kazooie where you could see all of Grunty's Lair? No, but the cloud level in Tooie lets you see the whole island if you look down. The music is cool, because it is one tune for each level, but can change the sound of the tune depending on where you are in a level. A cool feature. And this game is darker. The first line I saw during actual gameplay was Bottles saying how some insects were taking an interest in his corpse. That is pretty dark compared to Tooie. But I like Jamjars better as there are a few times when he hits his head. That's funny. One last thing, though. MINJOS! You think they're good, so you go to collect 'em and they attack you. Caution plays much more of a role here than in Tooie.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 07:52:14 am »
  • Silly cat!
I agree with Hoffy here. Except for the camera. Sometimes it sticks in bad locations. I've actually walked off a cliff I couldn't see because the camera was poorly positioned. But that's why I always hold R down while moving now so it stays behind me. And not behind a wall. And there were some levels in Kazooie you could beat 100% first time through, but there aren't any like that in Tooie. And the scale of the levels is bigger than in Tooie. Was there a level in Kazooie where you could see all of Grunty's Lair? No, but the cloud level in Tooie lets you see the whole island if you look down. The music is cool, because it is one tune for each level, but can change the sound of the tune depending on where you are in a level. A cool feature. And this game is darker. The first line I saw during actual gameplay was Bottles saying how some insects were taking an interest in his corpse. That is pretty dark compared to Tooie. But I like Jamjars better as there are a few times when he hits his head. That's funny. One last thing, though. MINJOS! You think they're good, so you go to collect 'em and they attack you. Caution plays much more of a role here than in Tooie.
Oh god, Minjo Jumbo scared the hell out of me.

Hoffy.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 12:53:57 am »
  • :3
I used to love fighting him! He was an awesome boss!

Still, no boss will ever compare to Chilly Willy and Chili Billy!
Gannon-banned brother.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 73 queries.