Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Hoffy Review: Mario Kart Wii.  (Read 10299 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
A Hoffy Review: Mario Kart Wii.
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:26:59 am »
  • Silly cat!
A Hoffy Review:
Mario Kart Wii

Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: USA: April 27, 2008, AUST: April 24, 2008
Genre: Racing/Action
Rating: E (ESRB), G (OFLC)
Platform: Nintendo Wii
Players: 4 (Local), 12 (Online)

You gotta expect big things when the new Mario Kart is released, and given that, Mario Kart Wii is in a bit of a tight spot. So, queue history lesson. Super Mario Kart started it all on the SNES with the 2-player races and battle, with bananas and mushrooms and a feather that made you jump for some reason. It was impressive to say the least. Mario Kart 64 was popular for it's 3D graphics and 4-player fun, and well, not much else. Mario Kart Super Circuit brought things back to 2D on the Gameboy Advance, with four players and single-cart play an available option. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! placed a friend in the backseat for double the fun, and was a hit or miss depending on your social life. And finally, Mario Kart DS brought the mascot racing series to life on a handheld, by including online play, a tonne of unlockables and tasks, as well as a huge 32 courses. Now, Mario Kart Wii is storming our homes again, with engines aplenty and silly slot machine noises and a whole lot of hectic old-school fun, and whatnot. But is the Wii installment actually any good? Only one way to find out. Get your mushrooms ready, and start your engines...

"Mario Kart Wii finally pulled a Diddy Kong Racing."

Gameplay: 8.5
Mario Kart Wii's selling point, quite obvious from the box, is the Wii Wheel peripheral included with the game. Rest assured that the wheel is nothing but a plastic shell for your remotes, and the real brains of the operation occurs in the Wii remote itself, wouldn't you believe. The idea is that you mount the remote into the Wii Wheel, and you turn the wheel during gameplay to turn your vehicle, like you would a steering wheel. The 2 button acts as your accelerator, and the D-pad fires items forwards or backwards, depending on which direction you push. You can also hit the B button at the back to drift around corners, and the 1 button controls breaking operations. To put it bluntly, the whole idea of the Wii Wheel is that it is a gimmick to simply bring some extra fun to your Mario Kart experience. With that said however, the Wii Wheel controls extraordinarily well. It does take a little bit of practice at first, but eventually you'll competently take the corners and it actually is a whole lot of fun... with friends around. On your own the Wii Wheel can seem like "just another way to play Mario Kart", but if you're playing with friends and you have everyone throwing their arms around to take sharp corners, it can become quite entertaining. In saying that, the wheel is not as accurate as a joystick and you'd want to at least try the Classic Controller or the GameCube controller and see the difference for yourself. The Wii Wheel is great with friends, and if you'd like to take it all the way through Mario Kart Wii, it is indeed possible, but as soon as you hit 150cc in the singleplayer Grand Prix, you're not going to want the occasional stuff-up from not taking a corner properly, or not satisfactorily performing a trick.

Who needs GTA IV? Honestly!

Mario Kart Wii finally pulled a Diddy Kong Racing - that's right, Nintendo included an extra vehicle: motorcycles. In my opinion, bikes are pretty cool and I actually prefer them over karts. The idea is that bikes will give you some sharper turns in exchange for a bit of speed. But that's not the only difference. You can even lift up the Wii Wheel (or push the D-pad on the controllers) to execute a wheelie, which will increase your speed on straights somewhat, while temporarily removing sharp turning abilities until you cancel the wheelie. Though, given this ability, karts will gain more speed from boosts while drifting. It all balances out perfectly fine, it's just bikes are designed for certain courses, the same way karts are... and it's up to you as a racing legend to determine which vehicle works with which course. Either way, you'll be forced to play with bikes, because in the singleplayer Grand Prix mode, 100cc is all bikes - no karts. Other gameplay features Nintendo have included in this 'Kart include the ability to perform tricks when you get some air, by moving the Wii Wheel in some direction or pushing a direction on the D-pad (for controllers). The tricks aren't completely useless - they'll give you a boost of speed when you hit the ground, and eventually they'll turn out to be as essential as drifting boosts. You'll want to get every turbo on every jump and on every corner if you want to get that first place position.

"My friend and I have come to call the online battle mode as the mode for 'pwnin' nubs.'"

All the usual gameplay modes are here. You'll still be able to prove your worth in the Grand Prix mode, tackling 50cc, 100cc, 150cc and then the almighty Mirror. You'll still be able to go into Time Trials to get the best possible time, save your ghost times and try to beat the times of the Nintendo executives themselves. You can still take on your friends in Versus mode, and still try to crush 'em good in Battle mode. And once again, you can race your friends or randoms online. But each of these modes aren't without their ups and downs. The Grand Prix is as great as it ever was, with four retro cups and four new cups for you to undertake. There's just one issue - the Grand Prix is not multiplayer. This is an enormous disappointment for many, and a horrendous act by Nintendo for what may as well have been "forgetting about it". You can still set up small GPs in Versus mode, but without the trophies the sense of achievement is lost and you and your buddies have nothing to strive for. This blow really shortens the amount of serious fun you can have with your mates, and my friend already made the comment that he'd rather play Double Dash because of it. On the other hand, if you're happy to go through the Grand Prix on your own, you'll find it as much fun as I did. But still, the most fun you can have with your friends locally is with the Versus mode. It's a solid experience, you can customize the rules and whatnot, the only downside is you can't turn off some items, which is a shame if you think Blue Shells downright suck ass. Battle is also very disappointing in local play. You'll find the courses are way too huge for four players to actually find each other, and you can't actually battle free-for-all, as the game automatically sets you up in teams, for some odd reason.

So good you'll !@#$% yourself.

But the real fun of Mario Kart Wii lies in the online functionalities. Racing randoms and friends (via friend codes) is a given in any Nintendo Wi-Fi enabled game, but Mario Kart Wii certainly takes things a step further, even with just little additions. Besides being able to see the names, country/state and Mii of the random racers you encounter (unlike Brawl), players will also be able to take advantage of a new "Racer Ranking" feature, a score which originally sits at 5,000, but increases or decreases depending on how well you place in the online versus and battle modes. Speaking of battle, this is the first time players have been able to take the battle mode online, and there's no doubt that it's more fun than local battle. My friend and I have come to call the online battle mode as the mode for 'pwnin' nubs.' Even though, like local play, the online battle mode splits you up into teams, there's still a lot of fun to be had as everyone gets into the fray and just beats everybody down with shells, bombs and stars. If all of that isn't enough, you can even get into the Mario Kart Channel, where you're able to download the very best ghost data for any course in the game, check your time trials rankings against your continent, friends, or worldwide, and even participate in Nintendo's organised competitions. The lack of voice chat is obviously a disappointment, but at least connection time is nice and quick, and the races run as good as the local multiplayer races do. Online is sure to bring you a whole heap of mushroom-burnin' fun.

"It's obvious a lot of thought has gone into the course design."

But if you are forced to play on your own, which you occasionally will be, you'll still be able to take advantage of the huge number of unlockable features Nintendo have included. Among them are 25 playable characters, including the regulars Mario, Luigi and Yoshi, but also some unexpected faces like Funky Kong, Rosalina, Dry Bowser, Baby Daisy and even your own Mii. There are also 30 vehicles in the game, and you're going to start out with less than half that number, meaning you're going to have to work pretty hard to get behind the wheel of Captain "Show Your Moves" Falcon's very own F-Zero machine, the Blue Falcon. Regarding items, all the usual weapons of choice like green and red shells, bananas and lightning bolts make their welcomed return, but new to the franchise is the POW Block for the smashing of anyone on ground, a "hot-potato" Thundercloud that increases your speed but will also strike you if you hold it for too long, and the Mega Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros. for mega size-ups. It's obvious a lot of thought has gone into the course design, as the new tracks in Mario Kart Wii are among the greatest in the series. Twists, turns, ramps, pipes, cannons, rushing water, and mud add a lot of maniacal enjoyment to the courses, and you'll find there's never a dull moment on any of these new courses, not for a second. As for the retro courses, Nintendo have gone out of their way to redesign the best in the franchise, including DK's Jungle Parkway, Shy Guy Beach and Delfino Plaza. With a decent difficult level, addicted racers will be sure to squeeze 10 to 15 hours out of the singleplayer, and a whole lot more out of online and multiplayer.

Ah yee-ah, check out my sweet wheels. Phully sick bro.

Graphics: 7.0
Mario Kart Wii looks average. Compared to most next-generation software, Mario Kart Wii isn't at all impressive. A lot of the character models look as if they came from the dark ages of the GameCube, or even the holy ages of the N64. To put it bluntly, Mario Kart Wii looks just like Mario Kart: Double Dash!! with two differences: bloom effects and 60 frames per second. But, even though Mario Kart Wii isn't graphically impressive in any way, it is a Wii game that is very easy on the eyes. If you're willing to accept that you may as well be playing last-generation software, Mario Kart Wii looks really nice. The presentation in the game is also quite decent, with menus appearing in a manner similar to the Wii Menu you load up when you turn on your Wii. Unfortunately, as soon as you bring in three or four players, the game will drop to 30 frames per second. But, the game runs at 60 fps online, which is indeed a plus. Veterans will also find the updated graphics for the retro courses aids in bringing back feelings of nostalgia for SNES and N64 tracks, as they are redesigned to suit the Wii's capabilities, but they don't lose the classic feeling in the process. The older courses look great on Mario Kart Wii, and I enjoy the Retro Cups immensely. On the other hand, Double Dash!! tracks haven't been redesigned at all (besides some bloom effects), and I'm not sure why the developers didn't try to have the game look as good as Mario Galaxy. Maybe next time, huh?

"Mario Kart games try nothing more than to make as much noise as possible."

Sound: 7.5
Mario Kart Wii sounds like Mario Kart. And if you're any decent gamer, you know what Mario Kart sounds like. It's interesting to note that Mario Kart games try nothing more than to make as much noise as possible, and that hasn't changed in Mario Kart Wii. "Yay!" "Whee!" "Yahoo!" "Heya!" "Oh yeah!" "It'sa Mario time!" "Hii!" "Alright!" "Bwahey!" The characters in Mario Kart Wii honestly don't shut up, and if you're picking up turbo-boosts on every corner and every jump, you'll be sure to be dealing with a lot of Mushroom Kingdom cuteness. As always, some characters are worse than others, and I'm warning you here and now never to play as Donkey Kong, Baby Peach or Daisy. Just stick to Mario and Yoshi if you want to be safe from a myriad of high-pitched noisiness. Speaking of noise, there's a lot of it, with slot-machine item bars carefully making their choices, the sonar of a red shell homing in on you, engines, collisions and of course, the very pleasant background music. Your Wii Remote speaker is sure to give you a lot of feedback, as well. Once again, Mario Kart Wii sounds like Mario Kart, and whether that's a good thing or a bad thing will depend on your tolerance. Also, make sure you listen to the background music in Bowser's Castle 3 for the ultimate King Koopa awesomeness.

More like Mario Mine Cart, am I right guys? Actually, that's not a bad idea...

Overall: 8.8
Wii Wheel controls nicely, control options, bikes rock hardcore, tricks, smooth and impressive online mode, downloadable ghost data, race rankings, nice course design, tonnes of vehicles, tonnes of characters, retro courses, sounds like Mario Kart.
Wii Wheel sometimes inaccurate, lack of multiplayer in Grand Prix, Blue Shells suck, limited Battle options, somewhat dated graphics, sounds like Mario Kart.
First of all, ignore the scores. Mario Kart Wii, despite it's many flaws, is a whole lot of fun to play, and that is the simple justification for the score of 8.8. Yes, Nintendo really screwed up with a lot of little things, but there's simply no better feeling than getting some friends around and immersing yourself in the idea of beating them, and beating them good (real men use Green Shells). Yes, Blue Shells do suck and 150cc is brutal if you don't know how to stay in second or third until the end of the race, but when you go online with friends or randoms and just try to beat someone with a golden Wii Wheel next to their name... I've said it once and I'll say it again, you're sure to have a lot of fun. Online and local multiplayer modes are excellent, and definitely make the Mario Kart Wii package worth it. Overall, Mario Kart Wii isn't the best Mario Kart out there, but it certainly does come close. So give Brawl a well-deserved rest, and get behind the Wii Wheel for the ride of your life.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:43:04 am by 4Sword »

Hoffy.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
Re: A Hoffy Review: Mario Kart Wii.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:36:29 am »
  • The Mike
Blue Shells are more annoying in this game. The odd time when I'm in first place, I might get hit by a red shell, then shrink, then get hit by a blue shell. This did happen often and it gets really annoying.

• Zelda Eternity

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:40:14 am »
  • :3

Look at the boost section on the slope down. They didn't even bother to blend the underside in? WTF? That's some laziness, right there.
Gannon-banned brother.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:41:19 am »
  • The Mike

Look at the boost section on the slope down. They didn't even bother to blend the underside in? WTF? That's some laziness, right there.
It was like that on Mario Kart DS as well. Why am I not surprised about that though?

• Zelda Eternity

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:43:55 am »

It was like that on Mario Kart DS as well. Why am I not surprised about that though?
Because we all know Nintendo are lazy, since they know their products will sell just by touting one feature.
Gannon-banned brother.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:50:34 am »
  • Silly cat!
Blue Shells are more annoying in this game. The odd time when I'm in first place, I might get hit by a red shell, then shrink, then get hit by a blue shell. This did happen often and it gets really annoying.
A lot of people complained about this, and yeah, it was pretty difficult to win the cups in 150cc and Mirror due to all of the blue shells going on. None the less, if you hold out a banana or a green shell behind you, you're able to protect yourself from incoming red shells, and if you stay in second or third until the end of the race, you're able to avoid blue shells and get first. It's also a helpful tactic to push the item button while the item roulette is going, as it helps you in obtaining items like stars in first or second place.

At least, that's what I did to beat the game.

Because we all know Nintendo are lazy, since they know their products will sell just by touting one feature.
Honestly, I don't see why you're complaining about the underside of the road looking like the topside of the road. It never bothered me when I played and I don't really think it's related to laziness at all, but rather a design concept for the boosts themselves.

Sorry, but I don't really understand why anyone would complain about that.

Hoffy.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:54:28 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.

Huh...never noticed that. Good eye.

Anways, fantastic review, yet again. But review something less known. We are all going to buy these games anyway...review something I might not play.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 01:15:36 am »
  • Silly cat!

Huh...never noticed that. Good eye.

Anways, fantastic review, yet again. But review something less known. We are all going to buy these games anyway...review something I might not play.
No :P.

Nah... I'll see what I can pull out.

Hoffy.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:34:46 am »
A lot of people complained about this, and yeah, it was pretty difficult to win the cups in 150cc and Mirror due to all of the blue shells going on. None the less, if you hold out a banana or a green shell behind you, you're able to protect yourself from incoming red shells, and if you stay in second or third until the end of the race, you're able to avoid blue shells and get first. It's also a helpful tactic to push the item button while the item roulette is going, as it helps you in obtaining items like stars in first or second place.

Honestly, I don't see why you're complaining about the underside of the road looking like the topside of the road. It never bothered me when I played and I don't really think it's related to laziness at all, but rather a design concept for the boosts themselves.

I'm not complaining, just more "lol wut"-ing at Nintendo not ironing out problems. Seriously, don't they do any checking? And I don't mean play-testing, but say go through the level playing as a camera, looking at everything, checking for anything out of place. It just annoys me every time I look back at that track now- it just doesn't look right. I don't mind when I play, but that screenshot just irritates me now lol. It looks almost glitchy, even. It's just the thought that it's floating there, held up by nothing- well from the screenshot anyway.

Oh and in DK's Jungle Parkway they took out the shortcut in the cavern at the end- now I have to go right round the slope. ;_;
Gannon-banned brother.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 04:54:32 am »
  • Silly cat!

I'm not complaining, just more "lol wut"-ing at Nintendo not ironing out problems. Seriously, don't they do any checking? And I don't mean play-testing, but say go through the level playing as a camera, looking at everything, checking for anything out of place. It just annoys me every time I look back at that track now- it just doesn't look right. I don't mind when I play, but that screenshot just irritates me now lol. It looks almost glitchy, even. It's just the thought that it's floating there, held up by nothing- well from the screenshot anyway.

Oh and in DK's Jungle Parkway they took out the shortcut in the cavern at the end- now I have to go right round the slope. ;_;
I KNOW. I was like wtf? But, you can still take it was a mushroom in your arsenal, just not with the hopping like in the original. Also, the jump in DK's Jungle Parkway doesn't allow you to cut the course the same way the old one did, as it redirects you...

Hoffy.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 05:30:04 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Hey, I like how in multiplayer you can play as any of the Miis you've created. I'm gonna play as the Admiral Ackbar Mii and lay a trap behind a box and say, "It's a trap!" I'll also abuse my Adam West Mii *(or is it Adam We? That's a bit more appropriate if you ask me)

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 05:44:43 pm »
  • The Mike

Only problem if you hang back in second or third is that you can prevent yourself from getting any stars for the cups for a star rank (though you need at least a star on each cup to get a star rank). The strategy is good for when you're first doing a cup but I use the Gamecube controller so I'm usually ahead since I drift a lot and wheelie a lot. Anyway, I do keep bananas and shells behind me. The odd time, I might only get maybe at least 2-4 blue shells per cup, sometimes 1 or none. It's good to be far away as well because some items like Red Shells won't reach and dodging the POW Block is an easy thing to do.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 01:41:27 am »
On the other hand, Double Dash!! tracks haven't been redesigned at all (besides some bloom effects)
They're just as 'redesigned' as the other tracks, they now all have halfpipes/ramps to allow for tracks and a few other cosmetic changes.

Great review hofkins

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:27:56 pm »
Nice review, Hoffy. Also, what do you think of the option to play as a Mii?

500th [spoiler=post]constructive post[/spoiler]! W00T!

• Mirby Studios

mit

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
I haven't bought a magazine or read any reviews in years. I'm pretty out of the gaming industry at the moment, so this is the first I've seen of mario kart wii.

Jesus !@#$% christ.

Quote from: Nintendo
Hey, the wii's as powerful as an xbox, let's use that power on blurring the game in real time!

ANTI ALIASING EVERYTHING DOES NOT MAKE A GAME LOOK GOOD.

Seriously. That's the worst screenshot of a nintendo game I've ever seen.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 08:58:04 pm »
UPDATE! I played Mario Kart Wii yesterday! You don't even notice that in gameplay! But I like how you can race as a Mii and its not a handicap at all. But I still don't get why they put Baby Daisy in. This is her first game too! Why not put another baby character in like Baby DK and Baby Wario who have actually been in games before? Also, I like how on some stages your Miis appear on it, especially Coconut Mall. But they should've used Battle Course 2 for the SNES Battle Course instead of 4, as it's too similiar to the GBA one they used. And Funky Stadium is horrible! I mean, I swear that I've seen a similiar layout for a stage in another game before. Think it was a skateboarding game... Anyways, it's pretty fun. I like it! And the bikes are fun to use.

• Mirby Studios

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 04:12:24 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Nintendo really messed up with the weight class and RubberBand AI.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 04:17:04 am »

Quote from: Nintendo
Hey, the wii's as powerful as an xbox, let's use that power on blurring the game in real time!

What are you talking about? If anything, that picture is too sharp. I don't see any blurring except for light and some textures.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 04:25:15 am »

in incredibly rare scenarios; anti-aliasing can change something for the worse.
However in this scenario, you just don't know what anti-aliasing is.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 05:11:31 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
I found 2 glitches:
If you get hit by a bullet bill or something similar, and you drop a mushroom, if you land on the mushroom while still flippin', the mushroom wil disapeer without giving you a boost.
Sometimes You will get hit by a blue shell even if you were never in 1st. Ive only seen this happen right after I drop out of bullet bill mode.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 105 queries.

anything