Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Discussion]3D games(such as ZeldaOoT) into 2D platformers  (Read 823 times)

[Discussion]3D games(such as ZeldaOoT) into 2D p...
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:32:56 am »
Something I've been thinking about for the past few weeks off and on.
We see many failed attempts at attempting to throw a 3D world into a 2D environment.
The problem that truly rises the most from what I see is handling height.

I am going to use OoT as an example.
You cannot truly convert the water temple(or fire temple) into a 2D overhead.
Height is your enemy.  Myself as a player have used the water temples height and water levels to "cheat" my way around instead of having to get keys and the like.  I have always been that way when it comes to games.  You want to try something to see if it is possible.  The only way you could do such a place is 2D using 3D to scale and unscale as you go "up and down".

So, what about turning 3D titles into maybe a platformer?
Maybe not directly flat 2D but somewhat at an angle, still giving you depth.  You almost zero out the height problem.  But alas you create a depth problem.

How to fix this?  Have an isometricish 2D platformer environment.  Something like say the old school beat 'em up games had.  You still have some depth for larger rooms.

The only MAJOR problem that rises, would be the game's "overworld".  The only way to appease that problem would be to have an overworld such as Zelda 2 or just have the dungeons as platformers with everything else as normal 2D overhead.

It's a concept many have not tried, and I don't think it has been attempted for a OoT remake.

Not saying for it to fall upon OoT alone as this system could possibly work for many Jrpgs out there.

Discuss.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: [Discussion]3D games(such as ZeldaOoT) into ...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:45:28 am »
Interesting that you mention this with the current competition going on...

I have thought about this idea before, when I was interested in game development.  Platformers are a unique form of two-dimensional games focused on providing a straight-line path with height as the second axis, where overhead two dimensional games are focused on providing a world which you can explore by allowing the player to travel in four directions (but limiting the use of height in these worlds).  As you mentioned, the problem with converting three dimensional games is either the height (in overhead view games) or the depth (in platformer games).

A unique way of solving this problem is by allowing a sense of depth in a platformer game by allowing a player to move towards or away from the screen.  This idea is excellent in theory, but how well would it work in practice?  There would always be a limitation of this feeling of depth that you can create, and therefore you would have to modify the world, dungeons, and every other aspect of the game to fit within these limitations.  Not necessarily a bad thing, as I have seen in a two-dimensional platformer version of the island from Wind Waker.  As you said, the world map is one of those places where this idea would not work very well.  Another potential problem I can see is with the fighting.  Since a platformer only allows you to face (and attack) in the two basic directions, how would you attack an enemy that is deeper into the screen than you with... say your bow and arrow.  Would you have to move away from it, travel deeper, then shoot?

Perhaps it would be better to think of a better way to incorporate height into the traditional overhead view...
Re: [Discussion]3D games(such as ZeldaOoT) into ...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:54:09 am »
Remember the final boss in SUper Mario World 2:Yoshi's Island?
Bowser was a boss you had to hurl giant eggs at.  A boss based on that is not a bad one.
Dodge left and right, show whatever it is you have.

Add in some quirk like you have to shoot chains off first or some weak spot or even have some switch on the actual players depth to activate before you can do damage to the boss.  Almost endless combinations.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 41 queries.