Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - August 11, 2008  (Read 6059 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
[ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - August 11, 2008
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:04:44 pm »
  • b e p i s
If a game could only excel in one area besides the core gameplay/fun factor, which one would be the most important: story, graphics, sound, dialogue, internet integraton (like Steam or Live Achievements), music, or an interesting gimmick?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:00:07 am by 4Sword »
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mirby

Drifter
Re: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - August 11, ...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:10:12 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Music. I love video game music and if it rocked, or had high levels of epicity, I'd be very VERY happy!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 06:16:39 pm »
Story/plot would be the best area to excel in, in my opinion, as that seems to be what gets remembered.  Those who played video games in their youth will most often remember the graphics, but those who really played video games in their youth remember stories from them.  Sometimes though, the fast action of the game inhibits the story, so in this case the story can be pretty basic, but in games of a lengthy duration, good stories make them stand the test of time.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18:17 pm »
True, but I have a better memory for music. Although stories are good too. There are good ones out there.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:05:25 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
Gameplay is most important.  A good story is nice, but if it's not fun to play I don't care how well written it is.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:32:34 am »
Story. No other medium can suck you in like a video game, and that's why it's a shame that the majority don't tell better stories. The themes and plot devices are usually pulled right out of a hat of cliches, and subtlety is a relic of the past. It seems that in most video games, the simple, subtle stories (points for sibilance) will usually outweigh the cheesy, convoluted RPG ones. Think Shadows of the Colossus vs. Final Fantasy XII and you'll get my drift. Metal Gear Solid usually had an unnecessarily convoluted plot, but yet inside it all was hidden a driven and inspired narrative filled to the brim with relevant themes and commentary on our world today. Looks damn pretty, too.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:51:55 am »
Tools! Something the end user [often] never sees, yet benefits from. I'm fascinated with windows forms, gui toolkits, things like Qt, wxWindows, .NET, Mono, and all sorts of windowing frameworks. Further, I like being able to build an application that you can use to create that data for your data-driven game. As I finish school here in the next two weeks, trying to find a job, I'm taking preference to those looking for tools programmers, cause that's right where I wanna be.
  • My Myspace?

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:47:39 am »
I'm going to have to say story because it's one of the best parts of a game.
  • Likes to Ramble

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 07:32:22 am »
  • Silly cat!
Multiplayer counts as gameplay, right? I would have said multiplayer :/... I can still have fun with friends even if the game sucks.

Otherwise I'm going to say music. I'm not saying story, because if the gameplay is utterly horrible and all I have to go off is the story (i.e. Metal Gear Solid 2) there'd be no point in developing the game, I'd've much rather seen it made into a movie. Most of the time, the story and gameplay have to be in balance for me to keep playing, one can't overpower the other (i.e. Metal Gear Solid 3). Excellent music on the other hand can provide something really memorable, even if the game sucks balls. I'll always remember the music to Balloon Fight, and Mission Impossible on the N64, for example.

Hoffy.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:42:08 am »
Music. Easliy what makes me remember games. And it has to be used at the right moments too.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:44:53 am »
Story/Plot. Final Fantasy 4's story was epicness (FF4 DS FTW!!!)
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:39:24 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Gameplay. I love games that have a broad area of optional extras such as FE. Story/Plot is second, but is not vital, after all, I do love space invaders.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 01:26:08 pm »
Music. Same reasons as Darklight and Hoffy.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 02:59:46 pm »
  • *whistle*
I don't think you can separate the two aural components of the game - sound and music. They're essential to making a game engrossing.

No matter how good games get, graphics will always suffer from the "uncanny valley" preventing true engrossment, and obtuse controls will always prevent the gamer from feeling truly in control. Good sound and music can overcome that, though, making you feel like a true part of the world.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 03:49:59 pm »
  • b e p i s
Tools! Something the end user [often] never sees, yet benefits from. I'm fascinated with windows forms, gui toolkits, things like Qt, wxWindows, .NET, Mono, and all sorts of windowing frameworks. Further, I like being able to build an application that you can use to create that data for your data-driven game. As I finish school here in the next two weeks, trying to find a job, I'm taking preference to those looking for tools programmers, cause that's right where I wanna be.

Hell, even simple level editing tools can be great :P Ever play TimeSplitters? It has a very simple level editor that's still loads of fun and easily accessible to casual users.

Also, keep in mind that dialogue IS separate from the story in an exact sense.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 07:20:03 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Story. Without it, the game's(usually) crap.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 07:27:22 pm »
True. But some of the greatest games have had little or no story, and didn't require one. But sounds and music are necessary. They can capture the feeling of the moment, whether an epic boss battle theme such as Battle to the Death from Final Fantasy VI or the feeling of fun such as Gusty Garden Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy. It can help you feel what the characters are feeling, such as the need to win to live with the first song I mentioned or the thrill of low gravity with the second one. Music is a vital part of the gaming experience. It can suck you in more than any of the other things (except gameplay of course) could. I'm also counting dialogue here.

• Mirby Studios

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 07:32:25 pm »
  • Xiphirx
The ability to mod. Customization FTW!
  • For The Swarm

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:49 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
@Kirby: Zelda didn't have very in depth stories. Windwaker had the best ive seen. And thats why I like FFX and KH much, much more.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 07:39:22 pm »
I don't feel like debating anyone's opinion, but there have been cases where the sounds of a game would otherwise make the game unable to be enjoyed such as some people's opinions of voice acting in games, to which their opinions of the games they were playing were only salvaged by the story; e.g. Tales of Symphonia.  Stories are the backbone of games.  Mario's story is simple, but effective as it needs to be.  In Super Mario Galaxy, the story involves Mario having to rescue Peach and having to get to her to do so.  The simplicity of this was tweaked by plot devices to make it more interesting.  There have also been games where the music was good, but the rest was considered by many to be bad.  Music really just serves to keep you from getting bored because you are sitting in front of a television or computer monitor wasting your life away.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 73 queries.