Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Brief Dissertation on the Definition of "Trolling"  (Read 2425 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
A Brief Dissertation on the Definition of "Troll...
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:04:22 am »
  • b e p i s
Greetings, ZFGCers. Today I would like to go over a recent issue in our community regarding members trolling or being accused of trolling. Both of these things are important issues, and it is necessary to distinguish what is genuinely trolling from someone having a controversial opinion.

Naturally, dissention arises in all communities, especially the internet. There will be people that think, no, Advent Children was not a notable film in any aspect and that no, Halo is not a fun or original game. However, there are ways to express these controversial opinions without pissing off legions upon legions of extremely flammable fanboys.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Final Fantasy VII Remake Announced
posted by Member McMemberson on August 31st, 2008 at 8:00 PM

*insert link here

Wow, I'm really excited about this! Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever, and I'm glad they're remaking it. Sephiroth is my favorite character.

Now, this post is serious trollbait for obvious reasons. However, someone who hates FFVII could respond in several ways:

Troll response: LOLNO. !@#$% game is !@#$%. Enjoy your waste of $60.

Acceptable response: Count me out. FFVII's story was completely lacking, Cloud's characterization is annoying, and I think people would see it weren't such a great game if they didn't view it through nostalgia glasses.

You don't even have to be that nice.

Also acceptable: Dude, FF7 sucked. Shitty emo protagonist, stale battle system, and terrible translation. !@#$% horrible game.

See, responding to these kinds of things is all about eloquence. Profanity does not equal eloquence necessarily, but you're still giving content to your post. You could make a reply with /b/ memes in it, you can make a reply with XD and emoticons, but so long as your reply is not short and obviously condescending like the first one, it's still acceptable.

Note: not saying you SHOULD reply like the second example, but it's not going to get you banned or something.

This concludes our lesson.

Regards,
Dantz
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:57:07 am by 4Sword »
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Pedlya

Pederp
Re: A Brief Dissertation on the Definition of "T...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:11:00 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
This topic is lacking acceptable barrier responses and true formats in a series of conjuctions.

Only joking I agree.
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:23:56 am »
Greetings, ZFGCers. Today I would like to go over a recent issue in our community regarding members trolling or being accused of trolling. Both of these things are important issues, and it is necessary to distinguish what is genuinely trolling from someone having a controversial opinion.

Naturally, dissention arises in all communities, especially the internet. There will be people that think, no, Advent Children was not a notable film in any aspect and that no, Halo is not a fun or original game. However, there are ways to express these controversial opinions without pissing off legions upon legions of extremely flammable fanboys.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Final Fantasy VII Remake Announced
posted by Member McMemberson on August 31st, 2008 at 8:00 PM

*insert link here

Wow, I'm really excited about this! Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever, and I'm glad they're remaking it. Sephiroth is my favorite character.

Now, this post is serious trollbait for obvious reasons. However, someone who hates FFVII could respond in several ways:

Troll response: LOLNO. !@#$% game is !@#$%. Enjoy your waste of $60.

Acceptable response: Count me out. FFVII's story was completely lacking, Cloud's characterization is annoying, and I think people would see it weren't such a great game if they didn't view it through nostalgia glasses.

You don't even have to be that nice.

Also acceptable: Dude, FF7 sucked. Shitty emo protagonist, stale battle system, and terrible translation. !@#$% horrible game.

See, responding to these kinds of things is all about eloquence. Profanity does not equal eloquence necessarily, but you're still giving content to your post. You could make a reply with /b/ memes in it, you can make a reply with XD and emoticons, but so long as your reply is not short and obviously condescending like the first one, it's still acceptable.

Note: not saying you SHOULD reply like the second example, but it's not going to get you banned or something.

This concludes our lesson.

Regards,
Dantz

Fanboys love to get pissed off no matter how you word your posts if you don't like what they do. Although it is easier to call someone a troll if they have no substance to their posts

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 04:41:49 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
informative topic is informative!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 04:47:31 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Quite right, my dear Dantz. As long as a post has some substance to it, as FISSURE has so eloquently mentioned, and isn't plainly offensive and rude, said post might not be labled as "trolling" as they say in the vernacular. I know that I have been labeled as a "troll" before, even though all of my posts have substance and are mostly relevant to the subject at hand. I only hope that this topic will help stop all these accusations of "trolling" once and for all, for you have plainly stated what "trolling" is. Magnificent job, my good sir. You are among the magnanimous members of this forum, if you ask me. (And no, I'm not mocking you in any way, everything I just said is what I thought) watch this post be labeled as trolling >_>

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 10:46:52 pm »
Wait, there's an FF7 Remake? D:

--

Uhm, anyway, well said.. There definitely needs to be more respect for each other here..
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 45 queries.

anything