Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Hoffy Article: Indie Games You Should Damn-Well Play.  (Read 4260 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
A Hoffy Article: Indie Games You Should Damn-Wel...
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:20:16 am »
  • Silly cat!
   You know there are some good independent games out there. Furthermore, you know you haven't played them, and you know you don't exactly care too much. I'm here to tell you that as a gamer, you should care. I, myself, have recently become somewhat tired with the current generation of consoles, finding the "blockbuster" attitude to be superficial, and boring. I miss the days where games didn't have to make sense - they just had to have some kind of ridiculous idea. You know, building a story around a gameplay idea, not vice versa.
   It's a really nice, fuzzy feeling to know that other developers from around the intarwebs agree with this attitude, and have taken the initiative to devise, plan and create their own piece-o'-crap games. In my honest opinion, you should see these games. You should play these games. You should learn from these games. They're just that good - I'd play them over Gears of War or Grand Theft Auto IV any day.

Spelunky

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4017.0

Have you heard of Spelunky? If you haven't, that's most probably a compliment to your obsession with nonsensical, little games. If you have, you're my kind of guy. For independent game developers, Spelunky would have been the Game of the Year for 2008, the latest version being released on December 21st. Spelunky is, as the name implies, an adventure game involving the exploration of a deep, dark cave. The game is - in every sense of the word - random, as developer Derek has used Game Maker to create a world that generates random rooms, enemy positions, and item placements every time you play. Most gamers only dream of a feature like this - and Spelunky does it right. This game still requires tactics, and serves up a great deal of challenge. It's ridiculously hard, and just as addictive... my friend is still trying to win, after over a month of playing nearly non-stop. Spelunky, we love you.

Jump On Mushrooms: The Game

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4724.0

What the hell is Jump On Mushrooms? Sounds (and looks) like a fan game, doesn't it? Well, it would be, if it were anything at all like any Mario game ever made. Actually, that's not true, it's a lot like a lot of Mario games, just... backwards. Yes, this is Super Mario Bros. backwards, if you can even deem that at all possible in your head. You have to start at the end of the level, and run (backwards) through the world, un-collecting coins you would have collected, and un-killing enemies you would have killed. What makes this game even more of a trip is that if you somehow stomp on an enemy twice, you create a time paradox - and you have to start again. Yes, this is Mario on mushrooms. Get into it, all the cools kids are doing it.

Legend of Princess

http://www.konjak.org/

Chances are, you've actually heard of Legend of Princess, on our own forums. If you haven't, what the hell dude, you're missing out. Legend of Princess is exactly what it looks like it is - an arcade version of The Legend of Zelda. It's all action, not much else, actually. You run through the Dirt Temple, stomping Octoroks, Keese and Tektites with one of your many weapons (including your bow, boomerang, Roc's Feather and even a Cucco), and you take on two mini-bosses, as well as a boss. It's not a complete game, but it is decently long, challenging and entertaining. It's what Zelda would be if it had a little Metal Slug mixed into it. It's also really friggin' pretty, and sounds great.

Eversion

http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

Eversion is a pretty, colourful, childish platformer, a lot like Kirby, where you run through the world, collecting gems, increasing your score, stomping enemies, and completing puzzles based on platforming. At least, that's what I'd like to say. No really, I would love to say that. Eversion is quite possibly one of the scariest games I've come to face in my years as a gamer. I won't spoil the surprise, but you may want to come prepared before you play this game. You'll literally feel like you've woken up from a nightmare. If Jump On Mushrooms was an acid trip, this is a trip to Hell and back. Whatever you do, make sure you come prepared to solve some ridiculous puzzles. Oh yes, and don't play this game with the lights out. It's friggin' creepy. Cute platformer with a dark secret? Not wrong.

Iji

http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

Iji. Remember Iji? You should remember Iji. She was in one of ZFGC's own character competitions. Now, Iji has her own "Metroidvania"-type platformer, focusing largely on action, story and puzzle-solving. What Iji has that a lot of these other games don't is a load of content. Not only are the stages of decent size, but the game also features alternate paths based on your actions and how you go about the game. And I'm not just talking new areas - you will get different cutscenes, that actually progress the story in different ways. Metal Gear fans rejoice, and play Iji.

And there's plenty more games out there, as well. I didn't even begin to look at Aquaria, anything by Blendo Games (including Gravity Bone), or some others of Daniel Remar's games, not to mention Ahriman's Prophecy and Crazy Cross. See, there's a lot out there if you just look!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:43:38 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.

Tet

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:22:17 pm »
  • I believe. I believe in ghosts.
"Eversion is quite possibly one of the scariest games I've come to face in my years as a gamer. I won't spoil the surprise, but you may want to come prepared before you play this game. You'll literally feel like you've woken up from a nightmare. If Jump On Mushrooms was an acid trip, this is a trip to Hell and back."

Please tell me you're kidding.
n__n
Re: A Hoffy Article: Indie Games You Should Damn...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:11:10 am »
I played Jump on the Mushrooms. Really fun actually but annoying if you mess up because you then have to watch it progress from your mistake and then you start over again. Otherwise, it feels just like Mario but with a reversed entropy/time concept.

Spelunky and Legend of Princess look neat as well but I am on a limited schedule because I have to study for midterms this week, but I will try to find out more about them next week. Iji and Eversion also look neat but the other ones but I will get to them after the other ones.

Anyway, nice article, it was worth reading.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:15:05 am »
I tried Jump on the Mushrooms, and it was a pretty good game although the controls were hard. I also tried Eversion and I have to agree with Tet. While a bit weird at first, it's not THAT scary.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:33:56 am »
  • Silly cat!
Obviously I exaggerated.

Was quite creepy though. Especially towards the fifth level where you start getting weird messages...

Hoffy.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:45:37 am »
You seriously have to play legend of princess if you haven't already though :P
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:51:29 pm »
Legend of Princess is excelent.
Eversion was creepy, lol. I only got the first ending though. Very creative anyway, and the music fits perfectly.
The others I haven't played yet.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:20:35 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Speaking of Spelunky, it was mentioned in this month's issue of Game Informer. I'll see if I can't get a scan of it.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:25 am »
Spelunky is so addictive that it makes me want to die.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 11:49:08 pm »
I just played jump on mushrooms. It was surprisingly interestingly fun!
xbox live: kirkking look me up!

your Romanian Captain Kirk speaking....yes i said Romanian....
dang it doesn't sound near as impressive on a worldwide board, than in a class of all Oklahomans, lol

-The non DJ Jordan.

When life gives you lemons, THROW THEM BACK AND DEMAND LIMES!"
thomas combs

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 03:21:57 am »
  • The Mike
Legend of Princess looks pretty cool. I might give that a download.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 09:28:51 pm »
  • My Other Drug is Triforce.
Legend of Princess feels more like noitu love than zelda, but it's really exciting.
Since there are so many indie games, I'd take it that this list is based on only what you've played.  Can we add to the list?
to zelda
sweet as nutella
  • Skymist

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:38:02 am »
  • Silly cat!
Legend of Princess feels more like noitu love than zelda, but it's really exciting.
Since there are so many indie games, I'd take it that this list is based on only what you've played.  Can we add to the list?
Sure. Either make a recommendation yourself and I'll modify the first post, or post a game and I'll investigate it myself when I find time.

Hoffy.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 11:34:54 am »
  • My Other Drug is Triforce.
An untitled story, you've played that right!

http://www.mattmakesgames.com/games.php (One with tannish color)
to zelda
sweet as nutella
  • Skymist
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 61 queries.

anything