Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: [REVISE] Overworld concept layout  (Read 20369 times)

Re: [SUBMISSION] Overworld concept layout
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »
Me too.
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 04:24:12 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Let's not reinvent the wheel.  We're using MC style sprites, so we'll make the overworld function the same.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 08:13:57 pm »
I added version 4.2.

Now the Main question is what dimensions do we give each area. I already made a suggestion for Castle Town and Hyrule Castle.

Goron Mountain:
Carbon Mines:
Valley of Death:
Gerudo Desert:
Zora's Domain:
River Valley #1:
River Valley #2:
River Valley #3:
Lake Hylia:
Kokiri Forest:
Deku Swamp:
Hyrule Castle: 75 x 45 tiles?
Castle Town: 75 x 100 tiles?
Kakariko Village:
Farms:
Hyrule Field #1:
Hyrule Field #2:
Hyrule Field #3:
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »
Might be difficult to place a size on them without having an idea of what they'll look like first.  We have a layout of where everything should appear, so why not leave it up to other submissions to determine the size of those critical areas?

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 08:35:42 pm »
Well, I would foresee some calculation nightmares. In trying to fit the submissions to the layout. As the dimensions leave large gaps or overlap. You could then say that the layout has to change, but there are some clear directions in the GDD about that, which would make it a pain in the ass. Or you could say that some people should completely revise their submissions. But who will have to do that?

I think it is easier on all of us if there are some directives on the dimensions of each area. But those are just my thoughts.
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 08:49:56 pm »
It's a good point.  If we were to do it that way, everyone doing their submissions would have to work with each other.  Could get quite complicated.

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »
Besides the dimesions people would also have to worry about exits, waterstreams, cliff edges that elevate the world. Not to mention what is put on the border that continues in the next area. It are a shitload of stuff to consider. So I was thinking that providing the Dimension to work with would at least facilitate the cooperation and coordination between contributors.

thestig

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 06:35:49 pm »
Sorry but, the first comment I had seeing that map was, Minish Cap world map. It literally looks like a 1:1 implementation of that map, with minor changes to it. But one critic of the spot, Lake Hylia and Kakariko Village next to each other? Never ever in a Zelda game's life.

I won't accept that layout. The location themselves are fine, but that layout won't work. Though with the direction in regards to defining size, that's a good place to start following locations.

EDIT: I'll have to think about size requirements to really have a suggestion."

EDIT #2: Also, 75x100 tiles for Castle Town? With 16x16 tiles? Dude, you do realize that we're talking about a TOWN here, right? Not a room in a house?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:39:40 pm by gm112 »
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »
I have a concern with the size as well.  This seems like we're on a VERY small scale and I don't see how we're going to fit a poor and rich town into 75x100 tiles.

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 07:27:05 pm »
Sorry but, the first comment I had seeing that map was, Minish Cap world map. It literally looks like a 1:1 implementation of that map, with minor changes to it.
Well, that was I realized as well, when I made the first drafts. However I followed the directions to the GDD. This stated that the Carbon mines are on the mountain. Death Valley is at the food of the mountain and it is the barrier to Gerudo desert. Another thing is that to get to Kokiri Forest you have to go through Deku Swamp. Next River Valley goes from Zora's Domain to Lake Hylia.

Then there are the following to consider:
- Mountains go at the North end of the map. Anywhere else and you get strange and ackward perspectives.
- Hyrule Castle Town is place where the most interaction with NPC's take place. So considering it is the center of the gameplay, then it is best to place it the center of the map.
- You don't put a lake and a desert next to one another.

But one critic of the spot, Lake Hylia and Kakariko Village next to each other? Never ever in a Zelda game's life.
Why not? Lake's and rivers often attract people to live. But my primary reason for putting it there is that the living communities for the Gerudo, Sheikiah, Gorons and Zora on the west. Hylians are in the center and only the Deku live on the east. I put Kakariko Village there to balance things out.

About the size. That was a suggestion. If you read a bit back then you can see how I came to that. But feel free to make another suggestion. I'm also fine with 150 x 200 tiles or 750 x 1000.

thestig

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2012, 07:42:22 pm »
>- Mountains and Hyrule Town.
Very, very true.

>- Kakariko / Lake Hylia
Kakariko Village was usually placed near Death Mountains, or within range. ALTTP and FSA are the only exceptions to the rule here, I believe. But meh, Kakariko Village isn't even in the design. So I don't even know if that can go into the Overworld Submission anyways.

Judging from how the design doc is, its logical to place Deku Swamp within range of Lake Hylia in some form, because of the swamp. Perhaps this could be between Gerudo Desert and Lake Hylia?(It doesn't HAVE to be, it could be still getting run-off from Lake Hylia somewhere. Lake Hylia wouldn't be in middle/(west or east)southernish area then) The valley of death could be blocked off by the Deku Swamp.. how I'm picturing it, is much less grid-like than how you originally suggested the content to be. This could be what makes up the majority of the southern part of the Overworld.

But we also need to consider the River Valley and the runoff from Lake Hylia to Zora's Domain.. where would that go?

I should probably just draw up my idea rather than trying to describe it...

And for tile sizes, I don't personally want to debate that till we got placement down. I mean you guys can but I'll review anything that comes through.
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 01:13:26 am »
Can anyone quickly debrief me, I just finished handing in my uni work?
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 02:27:12 pm »
Hm, judging from the placement of areas this layout seems to ignore Nintendo's official geography of Hyrule. For one Death Mountain and it's mine/city in OoT and TP (If I recall correctly Goron Mountain is the new name for Death Mountain) was to the west of Hyrule Castle/Castle Town and at the foot of it was Kakariko Village. Gerudo Desert in OoT and TP was close to Lake Hylia on the eastern side of Hyrule. Kokiri Forest was to the southwest of Hyrule in OoT. I'll try and make Zora's Domain somewhere near Death Mountain, like in OoT. I say Hyrule Field should surround Hyrule Castle and it's town. From there rejoin the remaining areas.

If we want KoT to look official as possible, we must try to use Nintendo's official geography of Hyrule as to our advantage. The way it is right now, I feel mixed, it can work, but it won't feel like the same official Hyrule. I'm going to decline this one. Sorry if this message came off harsh. =(

~ Shane
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:38:13 pm by Shane »

thestig

Re: [REJECTED] Overworld concept layout
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 02:55:41 pm »
Gonna mark this as rejected, I guess. Niek if you plan on trying to revise this idea for another attempt at getting accepted, feel free. Just change the tag to "Revise" if you intend on it. ;p
Re: [REJECTED] Overworld concept layout
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08:29 pm »
Hm, judging from the placement of areas this layout seems to ignore Nintendo's official geography of Hyrule. For one Death Mountain and it's mine/city in OoT and TP (If I recall correctly Goron Mountain is the new name for Death Mountain) was to the west of Hyrule Castle/Castle Town and at the foot of it was Kakariko Village. Gerudo Desert in OoT and TP was close to Lake Hylia on the eastern side of Hyrule. Kokiri Forest was to the southwest of Hyrule in OoT. I'll try and make Zora's Domain somewhere near Death Mountain, like in OoT. I say Hyrule Field should surround Hyrule Castle and it's town. From there rejoin the remaining areas.

If we want KoT to look official as possible, we must try to use Nintendo's official geography of Hyrule as to our advantage. The way it is right now, I feel mixed, it can work, but it won't feel like the same official Hyrule. I'm going to decline this one. Sorry if this message came off harsh. =(

• ~ Shane

Well in Oot hyrule is in the corner.In TP hyrule kingdon got expanded by the northen plains, which weren't part of hyrule before. We ended up having snowpeak mountains and a few other mountains,.

However we don't know what's behind death mountain, behind the dessert, its a whole new plain, free for our imagination, but it should follow geographical rules.

E.g why is there a desert next to blush green plains? Is it because the height cocentration of salt and other minerals in the water or is it because there's a mountain range blocking rain clouds?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:22:28 am by gm112 »
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »
I'll revise it. However I must note that the GDD itself already goes against "official" Nintendo layout of Hyrule. If there is even a official geography of Hyrule. Because they change it in every game.

For one Death Mountain and it's mine/city in OoT and TP (If I recall correctly Goron Mountain is the new name for Death Mountain) was to the west of Hyrule Castle/Castle Town and at the foot of it was Kakariko Village.
Goron Mountain is a region of Holodrum. In none of the games that take place in Hyrule is Death Mountain ever called Goron Mountain. The only name change was in MC, where it was called Mt. Crenel. Death Mountain moved around through the games. I thought in TP Death Mountain was to the west of Hyrule Castle.

Gerudo Desert in OoT and TP was close to Lake Hylia on the eastern side of Hyrule.
In ALttP the dessert was in the south west and Lake Hylia was in the sout east, with a swamp and a passage in between. In OOT there was an empty cloud area between the desert and Lake Hylia.

I'll try to make it like "official" Hyrule Geography, but that would mean I would need to take some liberties with the GDD.

thestig

Re: [REVISE] Overworld concept layout
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2012, 02:43:37 am »
The only reason why we're suggesting the official Hyrule layouts is that they seem more well-thought-out than what you're presenting to us. As harsh as that sounds, it's the simple truth.
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2012, 03:08:15 pm »
I thought in TP Death Mountain was to the west of Hyrule Castle.

In TP wii the whole world was mirrored for right handed gamers, however the world in TP gamecube is the same.
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2012, 03:57:42 pm »
TP had the whole world flipped on the Wii.  Hyrule is laid out more or less the same as it was in OoT with a few exceptions (the castle placement for example)

EDIT: Also, if I remember right, Goron Mountain is actually surrounded by the valley of death.  Also, I think Zora's Domain would work out pretty damn nicely next to the valley or the mountain.  Considering it's a cavern, it would geographically fit very well in that location and not have to worry about lava and such from the mountain.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:30:00 pm by MG-Zero »

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »
I took a try at it.  Black lines are points of entry/exit between two locations.  Also, that yellow-brownish line in the valley of death is a wall for a cave.  I didn't really draw this to scale btw, I just wanted to figure a possible layout.

To get from Zora's Domain to the mountain, you'd go through a cave in the valley.  This is to keep the player from actually entering the valley before they're supposed to.

I think this makes some decent sense.  To the north is the rocky and arid geography.  Right next to it, underground in Zora's Domain starts the water supply which travels south to the swampy, foresty and wet places.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:29:22 pm by MG-Zero »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 75 queries.

anything