Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadow of Liimina  (Read 59906 times)

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
Re: Mythos: Shadow Of Liimina
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:19 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
it's more the spriting that I would like to look that good. Even if it's the Non hd sprites.

here's some videos of how I was thinking the combat could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_C7wSh-wPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGJTvYvJMZo

From the series Zenonia.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0

thestig

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2013, 01:29:16 am »
You're really not doing a good job conveying what you want. Just simply showing examples isn't good enough. How do you expect Ashley to see what you're referring to?

And quite honestly, you should be more focused on working with her to construct a style rather than trying to emulate something. You wnat uniqueness, that way you can fully exploit your artists abilities completely.

This sort of input you're giving to Ashley is simply frustrating. I highly suggest you re-think your strategy in directing your artists or you will almost certainly have some huge issues later on down the road.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2013, 01:33:29 am »
You're really not doing a good job conveying what you want. Just simply showing examples isn't good enough. How do you expect Ashley to see what you're referring to?

And quite honestly, you should be more focused on working with her to construct a style rather than trying to emulate something. You wnat uniqueness, that way you can fully exploit your artists abilities completely.

This sort of input you're giving to Ashley is simply frustrating. I highly suggest you re-think your strategy in directing your artists or you will almost certainly have some huge issues later on down the road.

I don't understand what you're asking me to do. I referred to the videos in terms of the combat system. It works like any other game really, you press the buttons to attack and they do it, but instead of doing the same attack you have a combo that consists of different attacks leading up to a finisher.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:47:13 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:

thestig

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2013, 01:41:27 am »

I don't understand what you're asking me to do. I referred to the videos in terms of the combat system. It works like any other game really, you press the buttons to attack and they do it, but instead of doing the same attack you have a combo that consists of different attacks leading up to a finisher.
Its like a toddler crying for food whenever he's hungry. You have to guess what hte toddler wants.. generally.

The artist is doing the same thing. You're not constructing a vision, you're just trying to copy + paste the work that someone else did.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:31 am »
You think so? If I can't sprite for myself how am I to show someone how I want something sprited? The only way I could do it that I could think of, is to tell them after they make the sprite what changes to make to it until it's how I want.

Moved this lower...
On another note... I !@#$% up somewhere in my wording. !@#$%, I need to learn how to talk to people... I guess I'm gonna need a new concept artist. From now on, I really would like input on how I should go about directing. I've never done this before. Recommendations?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:47:47 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:

thestig

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:12 am »
You can detail what you want in text though. And that's also why you need to work directly with your artist. Let your artist have some input too, you know?

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:57 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
By going "Yes thats pretty close" or "No that's not exactly the style i'm going for" or even "That looks ok, but the proportions are wrong"

You seem to be wanting sprites in a 3/4 topdown perspective but you can't seem to articulate exactly how you want it to look. So i suggest shutting up and letting your artist do what they do best. Not trying to be mean.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2013, 01:48:42 am »
Well it's too late for that now. After an accidental insult I need to find a new artist. Do you know anyone here?

and Antidote, I didn't take it as you being mean. I didn't even have a chance to see anything from Star for SoL. I checked her dA and liked some of what I saw but wanted some of it to change. When I mentioned what I'd like changed conflict occurred. I'm just gonna work on lore until I'm finished I guess.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:52:10 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2013, 01:50:10 am »
I'm sorry about that but i suggest waiting a little bit and rethink this project through, then come back with a full plan laid out. It's not easy coming up with art when not even the lead knows exactly what they want.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2013, 01:57:32 am »
I'm sorry about that but i suggest waiting a little bit and rethink this project through, then come back with a full plan laid out. It's not easy coming up with art when not even the lead knows exactly what they want.

it's not that I don't know what I want, it's more that I don't know how to explain it. I've never directed anything, and people seem to get annoyed when I ask them to keep changing things.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and do some more writing this week while I think about how to describe exactly what I'm going for. I always thought references were necessary. It's what I read.

Sorry for my inexperience everyone.

Team Project:

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:45 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
In terms of the concept artwork fiasco I just had to deal with, there's a difference between inexperience and being pretentious. There are ways of talking to people that can come across as being a DICK. For example, claiming that somebody's artwork "isn't that bad" sort of implies that it's bad but not quite AS bad. Equally, if you want your game to look like every other animu game on the market, by all means, go for somebody who's going to draw animu and make your game look like everything else out there ;).
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2013, 02:17:47 am »
Can we not do this here? You said we were done.

You read not that bad as "Not THAT bad." which makes it sound dicklike. I was simply saying that your art wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Team Project:

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:35 am »
*appluads*
Well said Star, I couldn't have said it myself.

Keinamaru, artists are not simply tools, you can't expect them to give you the exact result you're looking for right off the bat. You can't insult them and expect them to respect you or even wish to work with you, to be completely honest I'm surprised Star worked with you as long as she did.

You came off as a pretentious Know-it-all to be completely honest, and that's intellectually vacuous.

EDIT:
After reading your post, my sentiments remain the same, you could have said it in a way that would not have been construed as such, such as "It looks good but it's not what i'm looking for" an example I've already posted. We're not trying to beat you down or anything like that, think of this as a lesson on how to work with people on a team.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:24:23 am by Antidote »

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2013, 02:34:45 am »
Damn it... I don't know how it came off that way... I have no way of knowing how others will perceive what I say. I've been told that I'm not bad and I take it as a compliment. If someone says "that isn't a bad idea" I don't get offended. I'm not pretentious, and I've apologized. I don't know what I can do to make up for a mistake so all I'm gonna do is just accept my loss. And to be completely honest with you, I don't know if Star worked with me or not, she said she would but from what I know, I didn't use her at all. I didn't insult her.

The only thing I can learn from this is that I shouldn't say anything without clarifying exactly what I mean by it.

But that won't even work. I had simply stated that her style wasn't anime enough for what I had in mind, mostly because of how she does chins and eyes. Not at all did I insinuate that her art style was bad.

Team Project:

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2013, 02:37:26 am »
That's the take-home lesson keinamaru, you DON'T know how people will take things, I screwed up in one of my own posts and i admitted my mistake.
While I didn't necessarily apologize for the mistake I acknowledged it.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2013, 02:40:16 am »
I apologized as well. And that's when she went off on me. I guess that's the end of that then. Not sure if all of these should be deleted, removed, or left here. I don't like the thought of having drama on my thread...

Team Project:

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2013, 02:41:13 am »
Close this thread, and open a new one, but keep in mind that you can't know how people will take things and tread lightly.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2013, 02:44:00 am »
Scratch my previous plans to remove this thread. The newer one though not updated too often just isn't sitting well with me. So I'll be removing that one and coming back to this one. Or something like that. So I'm replacing this OP with that one since it had more content, and will try sometime soon to get some maps done.

I also have a concept artist now who is helping me with the Town and Dungeon appearances.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:50:04 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:

spectrumbranch

« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2013, 03:59:10 am »

Show content

Those beautiful eyes I can't even

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
Shadow of Liimina
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2013, 07:53:36 am »
Updated with descriptions of the items. Hopefully this will allow for easier spriting when that time comes. Also slightly changed the design of the first outfit.

I'll be working on Chrono City's history next.

Also added Demon of Insamel to history.

History of Chrono City

Underneath Chrono City lies a town buried in time. In the days of old, Chrono Town began as a small trading establishment founded by humans. Located in the center of Liimina, it quickly became a prosperous community. All of the races came together, building upon the town,  expanding it by sectioning the town into districts designed for trade, tourism and lodging, or recreation. Business thrived but not all was well. With the rise of the economy, there was also a rise in crime and an increasing interest in black market goods. Thieves prowled the streets after dark mugging travelers and breaking into stores, selling the stolen goods back for a profit.

The settlers became concerned and decided upon a system of law enforcement. A large prison was constructed underground alongside an aqueduct, and guards patrolled each district in shifts, an effort intended to keep the townsfolk safe from crime. The criminals who were captured were taken to the prison which proved harsh but effective. Weeks confined in a dark cell with nothing other than the blare of waves crashing against the walls of the prison proved to be punishment enough to drive men mad. There was never an instance where an individual was incarcerated multiple times.

Time went on for several decades and Chrono Town became somewhat of a peaceful town, until the Elfin Plague epidemic. During this time many elves were imprisoned and tortured under false charges. As their race was the only one to not be afflicted by the disease while others suffered and died, many humans sought to believe they were the cause of it. This torture and animosity against elves went on for decades while a war was waged and hundreds of elves were tortured to death in the Chrono Town Penitentiary throughout the century.

Less than 50 years after the last case of the Elfin Plague, an elven emissary descended from the sky city of Cloudvale and proposed a peace treaty. This treaty was accepted and the humans decided that they would start Chrono Town anew, and thus began the construction of Chrono City. The new city was to be built atop the old town and it would be even larger to support more settlers. The prison and aqueducts were abandoned in place of a community jail house and building walls around the town. The main entrances to the town would be raised drawbridges by night leaving only one guarded entrance and exit to allow travelers. The seasons came and went and Chrono City quickly flourished with the help of all the races coming together once more. Generations passed and eventually everything anyone knew of the Old Town and its dark past has been long forgotten.

Added a story section which is really just a big update to the plot. Added controls section, which I need help with as I've never played computer games. Added Energy Meters section, and energy costs to the abilities, items, and spells sections.

As of 4/23
So, tonight I'm feeling in a writing mood as I think I've been slacking. So I'm gonna spend the next few hours working on the History of Yamoah.

History of Yamoah
Long ago before the land of Liimina was named, there was no safe haven from monsters for humankind. A band of settlers led by a group of warriors known as the Wolves of Dawn had journeyed in search of a new land to inhabit. After traveling across the sea, they eventually came to find that the land was rife with monsters and savage wildlife. Seeking an area away from monsters with a suitable climate for everyday life, the Wolves of Dawn continued to traverse the land.

Many lives were lost searching for a new home as the seasons came and went, and many miles were traveled. Eventually they came across a canyon with a large cave opening into the opposite side of a waterfall. For hunters this would be the perfect area to settle in. A constantly streaming water source, a cave for shelter, and walls guarding all sides but the entrance to the valley; they had all they needed to survive aside of food which the wildlife could offer them. Though the seasons changed the climate of the valley remained nearly constant throughout the year. This weather was perfect for building as it was never too warm or too cool to sleep outside and the construction went on undisturbed by monsters for many years.

They fashioned buildings from sturdy stone with wooden doors and ceilings, with windows being small gaps in the walls. Due to their hunting lifestyle, each building was made with an easy access latched roof from the inside. After nearly a decade, the leaders of the Wolves of Dawn Yamoah and Rikai settled down as rulers of the town which was named after them.

Rikai, after decades of protecting Yamoah from evil creatures noticed that his sword began to change in hue. He was unsure why, but thought it may have been a curse caused by the blade's power to absorb the essence of those it slays. Afraid that the curse might someday overcome him. He had a shrine built deep inside the cave where he would lay his
sword to rest.

Centuries later, as the town had advanced far enough, a bridge was built to the other side of the valley and a castle was built to watch over the town's entirety. The Rikai bloodline eventually became royalty and lost their hardened survivalist nature as the town became inaccessible to all monsters that didn't possess flight. This was made possible by a famous inventor who created a bridge that could retract by winding a lever. From that time on, Yamoah has been largely untouched by monsters and hasn't seen much change.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:40:10 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 73 queries.