Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadow of Liimina  (Read 64197 times)

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
Re: Shadow Of Liimina
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2012, 06:36:27 pm »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
Sweet then, making minor change to items then.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0

Linkxp500

Intellectual Pseudo-Swordsman
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2012, 10:16:33 pm »
  • Courage gives me the strength to fight fear.
Um... are there, by chance, some scripts that need to be written at this stage?  Or am I to be idle for a bit longer.

Just asking, because I think I may not be doing my part like I was supposed to do. :P
The only thing I hate about the name Link is that when you Google the character Link you end up clicking a link to a link that usually doesn't mention someone named Link.

Humans are never perfect.  They make mistakes that teach them what to do differently.  Humans also possess the ability to repeat those mistakes.  That's why humans are never perfect.

"Do, or do not... there is no try." - Yoda, from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

"Who's the more foolish?  The fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Old Ben Kenobi, from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2012, 11:37:57 pm »
keep idling for now. You can help me with ideas if you'd like.

Update on my thoughts, I just figured out that I want to make a sequel to this game. So, I'll have to adjust the ending to allow for a sequel that makes sense for him to not retain all of his gear or hearts. He will retain non darkness abilities however. (sorta like Banjo Tooie.) Originally said Six Sage Sword but that won't work. So I wanna make something else a sequel.

What do you all think of an E10 rating? I know many people don't like their Zelda games to have profanity and I'd like to make an awesome game that everyone is comfortable playing around anyone.

E10 allows me to have the animated violence,mild language, humor, suggestive themes (possibly), maybe a little blood...

I could have small caliber words like damn or hell but I'll not do that, I'd rather just use drat, crap, or heck in all honesty for a game like this. It suits the light hearted colorful appearance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:42:55 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:

Linkxp500

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 01:57:50 am »
Update on my thoughts, I just figured out that I want Six Sage Sword to be a sequel to this game. So, I'll have to adjust the ending to allow for a sequel that makes sense for him to not retain all of his gear or hearts. He will retain non darkness abilities however. (sorta like Banjo Tooie.)

What do you all think of an E10 rating? I know many people don't like their Zelda games to have profanity and I'd like to make an awesome game that everyone is comfortable playing around anyone.

E10 allows me to have the animated violence,mild language, humor, suggestive themes (possibly), maybe a little blood...

I could have small caliber words like damn or hell but I'll not do that, I'd rather just use drat, crap, or heck in all honesty for a game like this. It suits the light hearted colorful appearance.

I didn't realize that an M rating would have been a possibility. :P

I'm all for this.  I don't like having to play games that others would use to reinforce their perception that games are completely negative and lacking in all forms of appropriate behavior.  I've had to deal with that a lot.  Sure, a little profane language helps to keep it realistic, but no one wants to hear the big ones regularly, unless they are crazy. :P

I think this would be the perfect set of guidelines for a Zelda-esque game.

PS: My view is heavily influenced on my father's opinion of games.  He thinks they have no real value other than entertainment.  Well, let me tell you something.  Playing Ocarina of Time over and over again taught me how to read effectively when I was really young.  Games make you think, especially ones with puzzles like those introduced by all Zelda titles. :P
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:50:33 am by Linkxp500 »
The only thing I hate about the name Link is that when you Google the character Link you end up clicking a link to a link that usually doesn't mention someone named Link.

Humans are never perfect.  They make mistakes that teach them what to do differently.  Humans also possess the ability to repeat those mistakes.  That's why humans are never perfect.

"Do, or do not... there is no try." - Yoda, from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

"Who's the more foolish?  The fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Old Ben Kenobi, from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2012, 03:18:22 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Annnd there you are! Excellent... I intend on using RPG maker and or a modification of the Minish Cap Engine with this game as I've heard gamemaker has way too many limitations. Have you ever worked with it before?

I just wanted to point out that RPG Maker has many more limitations than Game Maker. I really hope you avoid RPG Maker because it doesn't give you enough control over the battle system and battle look/layout. The other large problem with it is it's horrible 4-directional grid-locking only movement system. I strongly suggest avoiding RPG Maker at all costs.

Unity 3D is good if you want to go for 3D, but if you go for 2D, Game Maker is highly recommended as it is pretty easy to pick up on GML and it's very visual, plus you can create any 2D game you want with it. With Game Maker, you really aren't limited for 2D. It's the 3D in Game Maker that is still pretty limited. And, even though YoYoGames will be adding shaders to Game Maker in the near future, there will still be no vertex animation without using 3rd-party DLLs, and vertex animation is one of the basics.

The character names are very nice. They aren't boring or uninteresting and they aren't super weird as some people tend to get names when they go for something creative. Well done.

Only I don't know how to pronounce Fjord.. :/
The new names are TOOOOTALLY rrandom. I  asked people from a certain community I frequent. I like the weirdness to a few of them. and it would be Fyord.

Sorry to pop your bubble, frozen, but what Kienamaru said is very true: Fjord is actually is a landforming from rivers.

lol, I'm okay with not knowing a useless word. :P
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:21:00 am by Frozen炎 »
  • My Music

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »
Only able to move 4 ways?! That's horrible... okay guys, my brain is now saying Gamemaker again. I don't have it or Unity however, so which gamemaker is the best one with the most options?

Team Project:
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2012, 10:13:04 pm »
  • It's the grineer
Only able to move 4 ways?! That's horrible... okay guys, my brain is now saying Gamemaker again. I don't have it or Unity however, so which gamemaker is the best one with the most options?

The last GM is GM 8.1 for what I know. The version I currently have is GM 8.

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
You are better off with GM8/pro, plus game maker coding is not that complicated.

Plus learning code is easy on Game Maker, didn't think of that a while back when I stared though lol.

But since you are making a game similar to Zelda, it is best to see some edited games and see how everything is coded/placed.

For starters, try to find Crispy's Zelda Engine, don't remember, I think it is made in GM7, but can work on GM8.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:34:58 am by Linkwolf48 »
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2012, 10:42:06 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"

The last GM is GM 8.1 for what I know. The version I currently have is GM 8.

Actually, the newest version is called Game Maker: Studio. I own both GM 8.1 and GM:Studio (Professional) and the speed increase from GM8.1 to Studio is actually very noticeable, and YoYo Games claims they will be making an additional 10x speed increase in the number of steps taken (I'm not exactly sure how they worded it, but it was close to that). :o I'm actually very glad to see where GM:Studio is going; YoYo Games is really working at making Game Maker more efficient and more powerful. Still, GM 8.1 can handle a 2D Zelda game of any kind well enough if programmed efficiently.

So really it's up to whatever you are willing to pay. I don't really know if any free versions of Game Maker would allow you enough options to make your game. I know for sure that the free version of GM:Studio is not able to make good or long games because it only allows for a very small number of resources, and it just isn't enough at all. I don't remember what the free GM 8 or 8.1 versions limited you on, besides 3D drawing functions. Actually, I don't even know if you can get those versions for free any more.

Btw, Unity has a free version, but the free version has limits on shadow casting and you can't load in any resources while the game is running; it must all be pre-loaded (that was actually the deal breaker for me on the free version).
  • My Music
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »
Actually, a real language in use with a library would be the best option.  I would toss my vote in for C#/XNA if you want ease of use, small learning curve, etc.

I been going over SDL/C++ and some Jscript with Canvas 2D for the last week or so as well.

If you stick with Game Maker, I have both 8.0 and 8.1 Lite(Haven't bothered to purchase nor redownloaded the newer version since the update to 8.1 which added a watermark to games).  Unless you plan on making a Zelda  game in 3D or have like 20 songs all recorded in .wav format, Game Maker 8 lite is just fine.  The only limits are no 3d,a few image manipulations(which you don't really have to have),some advanced grids and motion planning which you probably won't need, external resource managing, external dlls, etc.

You can still load/unload resources from memory, make a complete 2d Zelda engine(dlbrooks had a complete gb engine with all items floating around once upon a time), and still keep the memory allocation well under a 100 megs if you pay attention to what you are doing.

But, if you are wanting to get somewhat serious into programming, you may want to look into something other than Game Maker.  Even Java is acceptable these days and is just as easy to pick up as GML(though I prefer c# over Java).
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:22 am »
I would like to get serious with it but I can't currently do that and I'm unsure if my first project should involve something too advanced. How much content could fit if I were to use GM 8 lite? Assuming you've seen the OP which is currently incomplete, do you think I could fit it all?

Team Project:
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2012, 02:29:27 am »
You can pretty much pull off what you need in Game Maker 8 lite as far as I know.  You won't be able to do co-op via the internet as that is also unavailable unless you pay for it.

All the restrictions Game Maker lite has, real programming libraries don't have.  Image manipulation, sockets(online/internet),3d, external resources - you have open access to these if you choose to program using a real language and libraries.

I don't know what you mean by you "can't do it currently".  Do you mean your hardware is bad?  I can compile and run a SDL project on a 3 year old netbook running Windows XP with a 1.6ghz crappy Atom n270 processor and an Intel gma950with a grand total of 512 megs of ram.  It also runs Visual Studio 2010 Professional without issues which is bizarre.

lazyfoo.net has great tutorials on sdl that are very simple to follow and he inadvertently teaches you the basics to a Zelda game: movement, scrolling, tiling, level editors, saving, etc.

You are free to use different IDEs as well.  Code Blocks isn't too bad and Visual Studio is still free in the Express versions.  Eclipse and NetBeans are decent as well.  SDL takes literally less than 5 minutes to set up to start coding with.

There is also the C#/XNA direction I mentioned.  That is as simple as downloading Visual C# 2010 Express or the entire Studio Express 2010, installing it, then downloading XNA 4.0 and installing it.  It takes care of everything for you then you just start a new XNA project and everything is ready to do.

You could also look into other libraries such as SFML, Pygame (Python - which is super easy to learn) , DirectX, Slim DX, freeGLUT(openGL - cross platform), javascript with HTML5, Construct 2 (Free event-driven game creation software which exports projects to HTML5...not too bad for beginners), Monkey, Multimedia Fusion 2, and so on.

I can say that any library or game creation software made within the last couple years or so would be a better pick than RPG Maker as I saw mentioned earlier in the thread...Game Maker is leaps better than RPG Maker.  Hell, even Flash is better.

Ultimately, the choice is upto you.  Game Maker isn't bad but can quickly teach you bad habits that are hard to overcome when you actually move onto a real programming language(speaking from personal experiences :( ).  You should really look into a language with libraries.

If I may ask, why can't you currently start that way?
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Linkxp500

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2012, 05:16:29 am »
Whoa... total overload of new info on programming. :P

Anyway, what I think Kienamaru means by not being able to get serious with programming... well, from an earlier conversation I had with him, he said he doesn't always have access to a computer.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:28 pm »
Modified because stuff has been moved to a programming discussion. All stuff after this will be about SoL again.

Well then... It's been like a year... but i have some news... good, bad, and ugly.

Good news is... I started drawing out the maps (void of texture sure... but still it makes the outline easier and all that. If i can describe the stuff well enough I'll be able to have something made I think.) Finished the first dungeon.

Bad news is... I forgot my maps at my friend's place a week ago when I started. Not only that but I actually forgot everything there since I left my entire notebook.

The Ugly is... well... let's say someone in my family lied about paying a bill... and now that person has been kicked out of the house... so our bill is gonna fall on the only other working member in the family. Which isn't me. So all time spent on electronics will be going way down.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:47:41 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2012, 10:10:49 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Well then... It's been like a year... but i have some news... good, bad, and ugly.

Good news is... I started drawing out the maps (void of texture sure... but still it makes the outline easier and all that. If i can describe the stuff well enough I'll be able to have something made I think.) Finished the first dungeon.

Bad news is... I forgot my maps at my friend's place a week ago when I started. Not only that but I actually forgot everything there since I left my entire notebook.

The Ugly is... well... let's say someone in my family lied about paying a bill... and now that person has been kicked out of the house... so our bill is gonna fall on the only other working member in the family. Which isn't me. So all time spent on electronics will be going way down.

Good news- Damn, Kienamaru, havent heard of you from a while, that sounded great, but kept reading and my smile went down...

Bad news- cant you like redesign some of the parts, i mean, you CAN remember some parts can you? :P Besides, you could go back to your friends house and get it, or the other way around. Is your friend far away?

Ugly news- ugh thats awful man, I'm afaid i can't say anything else mate...

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2013, 08:42:08 am »
Even if I could redesign stuff I don't have graph paper... I might be able to convince him to convince his parents to bring me my notebooks. I don't wanna go over there for too long because his parent s chain smoke and his tv is currently gone. So I'd be bored all day since gaming is what we do. Yeah he's about a 30 minute drive away..

I need to think of more story for this game but I did think of how I'm going to make the sequel. It won't be six sage sword, that WILL be a Zelda game. The sequel will be called... The Severing Blade.
SoL will end in a way so that the sequel will not be mandatory but it'll be definitely possible. Basically
Show content
when Vitin returns home using the Shadow Calibur at the warp point spawned from killing the final boss, he is going to create a dimensional rift that didn't fully close. In time that rift expands and then a year and a half later.. Boom, Mynale notices the rift in the sky at night. This hasn't happened in however many centuries but the Severing Blade was made just for that occasion if it happened again. So you'll have maybe 4 temples each with a key that you get at the end. These keys open the place where the Severing Blade lies. After getting the blade there will be maybe 3 more temples and a final boss fight in the sky as you try to close the rift.

Just an idea.

Team Project:
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:58 am »
  • Just call me Brad
Even if I could redesign stuff I don't have graph paper... I might be able to convince him to convince his parents to bring me my notebooks. I don't wanna go over there for too long because his parent s chain smoke and his tv is currently gone. So I'd be bored all day since gaming is what we do. Yeah he's about a 30 minute drive away..

I need to think of more story for this game but I did think of how I'm going to make the sequel. It won't be six sage sword, that WILL be a Zelda game. The sequel will be called... The Severing Blade.
SoL will end in a way so that the sequel will not be mandatory but it'll be definitely possible. Basically
Show content
when Vitin returns home using the Shadow Calibur at the warp point spawned from killing the final boss, he is going to create a dimensional rift that didn't fully close. In time that rift expands and then a year and a half later.. Boom, Mynale notices the rift in the sky at night. This hasn't happened in however many centuries but the Severing Blade was made just for that occasion if it happened again. So you'll have maybe 4 temples each with a key that you get at the end. These keys open the place where the Severing Blade lies. After getting the blade there will be maybe 3 more temples and a final boss fight in the sky as you try to close the rift.

Just an idea.
So basically after beating the six main temples and the temple of the final boss, you'll have to go to four more temples and then three? Dude thats like 13 TEMPLES!

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2013, 10:06:12 pm »
I only listed 7 temples. :/

Anyway, I'm gonna try an think up a font for this games title. Maybe work on a prototype title screen. Also, adding Mythos to the title as a series name. I'm stuck between that and Vitin Saga.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:15:51 am by Kienamaru »

Team Project:
Re: Mythos: Shadow Of Liimina
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 09:51:13 am »
  • Just call me Brad
I only listed 7 temples. :/

Anyway, I'm gonna try an think up a font for this games title. Maybe work on a prototype title screen. Also, adding Mythos to the title as a series name. I'm stuck between that and Vitin Saga.

What about Mythos of Vitin: Shadow of Liimina

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
Re: Mythos: Shadow Of Liimina
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 10:23:00 am »
I would consider Mythos of Vitin, but two things are stopping me.

1- I don't like the thought of series of person: shadow of place (when put together)
2- If the series expands beyond two games then I'll be using a new main character more than likely.

Now on to bad news.

My household has lost another source of income so I'll probably be here even less than before.

Team Project:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 74 queries.