Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelts! Orpg: Zelda-Inspired Orpg [Recruiting Programmer(s) and Writer(s)]  (Read 3941 times)

Zelts! Orpg: Zelda-Inspired Orpg [Recruiting Pro...
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:04:30 am »

Could someone move this to the recruiting section. Thanks

Hi, my name is Revangale and I'm a pixel artist. I'm currently aiming to create a Zelda-like Orpg (copyright reasons). I've been working on this since 2011 on and off, taking long breaks because of school and work. I'm currently using a VB6 engine called Eclipse Origins as a means to create, edit, and test the graphics. Currently, I am looking for a programmer who can help make the game experience as close and true to the Zelda games as possible. Thus, any engine and any language is fine.

Since this is a Zelda-inspired universe, I have not created any lore, plots, locations, and graphics for creatures or NPCs. If anyone who loves to write stories would be interested, please contact me.

My contacts:
email: revangale.c@gmail.com

Images and Videos of what I have. Graphics were inspired by Pokemon and Zelda: The Minish Cap

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEILiQuKBI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEILiQuKBI</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtR_QVUBkj8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtR_QVUBkj8</a>

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:17:18 am by Revangale »

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
Re: Zelts! Orpg: Zelda-Inspired Orpg [Recruiting...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:29 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
This is beautiful :|
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:26:30 pm »
My suggestion:

If you are going for a Zelda-esc feel and control scheme, you need to work on the attack animations you provided.  They are great by RPG standards,but they lack "extension" to work in a Zelda style game.

What I am saying by "extension" is that the weapons need to extend an entire body length at minimum during an attack.  Your dual wielding person doesn't extend at all.  The weapons need to be extended for gameplay purposes.  It shows the player exactly where the collision boxes will be for the weapons.

Since the one guy is using daggers, I would make the extension just 16 pixels, 8 would be REALLY punishing to the player, especially in an online environment where lag is a factor.  Swords/Axes would be upto 24.

Not only do the weapons extend, but the player extend his arm/s forward along with his body.  Play Minish Cap or Link to the Past and just repeatedly slash your sword.  Link isn't stationary.  He lunges forward a bit with each swing.  You need to add that into your sprite work if you are going for a Zelda style combat system.

Last, you could use more frames, at least for main weapons.  Most every Zelda game has sword animations that show full swings in an 180 degree arc.  GB did not, but did well with 90 degree arcs given the limitations of the technology.  Just something to keep in mind.

I really like your tileset.  It feels more Pokemon that Zelda to me, though.  It feels very 16x16 for an RPG instead of more free flowing like a Zelda game would be.  Try working on some 45 degree angle tiles?  If you are going for a more Minish Cap style(which hardly used 45 degrees), then add more "natural" looking edges on the tiles.

Other than that, looks like a nice project.  I would suggest Game Maker Studio(or GM8/8.1) as a much easier tool for Rapid Application Development.  You can literally copy/paste a sprite, set it as an object's image, place it in the room and then run the game to see how it looks.

For a real gameplay experience, you could look into HTML5 with Javascript on Canvas to make a multi-OS compatible system.  You have to keep in mind with making ORPG: if you want MMO, you HAVE to program a server side program.  If you are just making simple 2-4 player, you do not, however, if you want to discourage hackers, you need a server side program to check and store a player's character instead of storing it on a local machine where they can edit it.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:29 am »
Thanks for the compliments!
@Thefore,
Yea, what you said about the attack animation is spot on. Honestly, I haven't worked on the attacks because the current engine switches from a standing frame to one frame for attack, which is also the 3rd frame for walking. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind for when/if I get a programmer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 42 queries.

anything