Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request:Some platforming help...  (Read 747 times)

Request:Some platforming help...
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:25:19 pm »
Well, I need some help with a platformer.

How would I go about doing these things in GM6.1:

A.  Upside-down(reversed gravity)when holding a button.  Say, you jump and push up as you with the ceiling,but you are still holding the jump button.  I want the person to be able to walk on the ceiling as they are still holding jump.  The minute they release it, they fall.

B.  Jumping into a lower ceiling.  I need the player object to still be airborn even if the ceiling is lower than normal.  So you jump.  You hit a low ceiling.  Instead of immediately negating the jump function, I want the person to be airborn for another splitsecond or so.

C.  Ability to go to a menu and switch players on the fly.  No matter what is going on(except dying or getting hit),I want to be able to switch characters.

I do not necessarily want someone to code this for me, but what direction should I go in GM6.2 to take care of these things.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Request:Some platforming help...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:56:59 pm »
  • MetalRidley was here
I think a lot of this (well the first two anyways) depends on how you made your platforming engine. For example, do you use gravity or just vspeed, does the player do actions based on the state it's in, etc. For the third one about the menu, you could have a "global.menuOn" variable and set it to false when the game starts. Then in basically all the game scripts (or event actions) check if it's false before doing anything. In the "Press Esc Button" event or whichever key you have, check global.menuOn. If it's true, set it to false and get rid of any menu objects. If it's false when you check it (else), check for the player states (e.g. !Player.state = "dying" && !Player.state = "gettingHit" if that's how you do your engine). If they're fine, then create all the menu objects or whatever and set global.menuOn to true.

I hope that helps a little :/

THE MUSIC IS REVERSIBLE, BUT TIME IS NOT. TURN BACK... turn back... turn back...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.

anything