Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 462818 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #500 on: December 14, 2011, 07:10:02 am »
The boss does half an heart of damage upon impact and all the pots contain hearts. It should be a rather easy fight. This is the first real boss fight of the game afterall. The way I picture it you only have 3 hearts at this point in the game, but possible 4 if you explored for containers before heading to the dungeon.
« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2011, 02:19:20 pm »
This weeks progress:
+ Finished the continue option
+ Choosing to quit on the game over screen now also saves your progress (which is mentioned beforehand)
+ Whenever you try to use the bow without arrows you will now hear an error sound
+ If you have the bow but no arrows then the equipment will sprite will change to just a bow. And visa versa.
+ Changed the magic dust the continue fairy uses when dead
+ Recoded parts of the starting screen (now there is just one object)
+ The game no longer uses any paths
+ Added new enemy: Wall Cannon
+ The efficiency of the enemy projectile movement script has been improved a little
« Reply #502 on: December 26, 2011, 07:34:26 pm »
Yet another week of progress:
+ Finished the subboss (scenes included)
+ Fixed glitch with death scene
+ Started early work on the boss
+ Improved enemy movement scripting (removing the last of the jerky movement)
+ Continued recoding more sections of the starting screen
+ Enemy shadows are now perfectly alligned with their bodies (the problem was only noticable on slow computers)
+ Added the victory animation for Link
« Reply #503 on: December 26, 2011, 10:23:03 pm »
This..is... :'(
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #504 on: December 26, 2011, 10:25:03 pm »
 :'( ? I don't get it.
« Reply #505 on: December 26, 2011, 10:48:35 pm »
I'm just ... :'(

tearing with joy!
Games that I support:

« Reply #506 on: January 01, 2012, 12:12:10 pm »
Here is the last of last year's progress made:
+ Finished redoing the startingscreen (added a little animation to selecting a game file)
+ Improved the efficiency of the enemy projectile movement script a little again
+ Added the entrance scene(s) for the dungeon with Murray

And in case you are wondering who Murray is. He's my "Navi", only slightly different in the way he speaks and behaves. You'll see. ;)

EDIT:
Here is the final room I designed for the first dungeon. Any comments?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:31:04 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #507 on: January 02, 2012, 07:33:36 pm »
  • It's just Max.
I'm just ... :'(

tearing with joy!

Haha, Retro, your posts are so off the wall.  : D

Anyway, the final room looks sweet, I take it the player will receive some pendant/medallion/element here that they won't actually be able to use for anything, classic zelda style? Haha. It looks killer, though. Especially diggin the Ramos knights as statues, they look SWEET.

About Murray, though, do you mean he's like Navi for the player, or for you personally? Like, a friend that gives you lots of advice? Haha, but if he's in the game, I feel like Murray is kind of a wierd name for the zelda universe. In American television, at least, Murray is a slightly antiquated name that I associate with a middle-aged man who works in a cubicle and wears distasteful ties. He is also beginning to bald.

But if you think the name works in the context of your game, go for it. Are you gonna have him orbiting the player all the time?
« Reply #508 on: January 02, 2012, 08:40:27 pm »
Yes, there will be a key story item located there at the end of the dungeon. Haven't found a sprite for it yet but a ring might be nice. Pendants, crystals, fragments etc have all been done already.

Murray is to my game what Navi is to alttp, in the way that he is Link's companion. He may or may not float around you as you explore the world. I can't comment on that just yet. I'm considering to have some fun with it, but it's a lot of work to do right (and not get old FAST) on the other hand. The name comes from a character in an (old) point and click series btw, which I happened to think off when I had finished the concept. It seemed appropriate.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #509 on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »
Yes, there will be a key story item located there at the end of the dungeon. Haven't found a sprite for it yet but a ring might be nice. Pendants, crystals, fragments etc have all been done already.

Murray is to my game what Navi is to alttp, in the way that he is Link's companion. He may or may not float around you as you explore the world. I can't comment on that just yet. I'm considering to have some fun with it, but it's a lot of work to do right (and not get old FAST) on the other hand. The name comes from a character in an (old) point and click series btw, which I happened to think off when I had finished the concept. It seemed appropriate.

I think Murray is a good name for it. Im actually chuffed with how I sprited it. Yup people, I know what it is mwahaha

Nice work on the final room btw Martijn

Also, I won't be able to work on the titlescreen til I return to uni when I have access to a scanner. I have my reasons for this.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2012, 08:19:28 pm »
This weekend's progress:
+ Added the sewers entrance scene with Murray
+ Added boss type enemy death (type A)
+ Improved collisions for the sword magic attack
+ Redid the entire general enemy collision system again. There are now two main ways to check collisions (depending on the enemy parameters). This allows the character to walk a little behind most enemies without making contact. This should (hopefully!) make the game a little bit more intuitive.
+ Tweaked the buzz blob / cukeman stats
+ Again improved the efficiency of the enemy projectile movement scripts

I'm a little worried about two thing right now:
- My game is starting to become a little slow so I've been prioritising efficiency more lately. Still, I'm worried about this. Maybe I messed something up in the last couple of weeks  :-\
- I'm also really anxious to find out how the new collision system will be received. I've spend a lot of time on it and the logic is there, but I needed some time to get adjusted to it myself. Just hitting a sprite is no longer enough for a collision. You now also have to take the "third dimension" into consideration.

BTW there will be probably be no progress next week because of an upcoming SAS programming exam.
« Reply #511 on: January 09, 2012, 10:48:23 pm »
I just hope that you don't overdo it, or make it too much like the original Legend of Zelda games that you need a new computer in order to keep up.
Games that I support:

« Reply #512 on: January 10, 2012, 07:15:02 am »
I'll see what I can do. My brain has already been thinking a lot about what efficiency options I have left.
One thing I have not touched on a lot is disabling enemies outside of the screen. Currently only those outside of the room are dissabled.
I've also been working to remove sprite based collisions with collisions based on imaginairy rectangles (which would make it that you would no longer need 200+ different sizes masking sprites), but I'm not sure if it made things faster or slower. So that's soething I can look into.
« Reply #513 on: January 15, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »
This weeks progress (even though I didn't want to spend any time on it ::)):
+ Solid objects have been repositioned in the larger half of the game cutting a total of 287 ingame objects and thus saving a tiny bit of processing power. Some pretty large sprites/masks were introduced to make this happen though, costing more memory. If memory becomes a problem in the future I will create and destroy the masks as the character moves from area to area. All the solid masks are now created at the start of the game instead of it being pre-created (cutting start-up time).
+ All sound effects are now stored externally and are retreived at the start of the game. This also cuts the start-up time a little.
« Reply #514 on: January 26, 2012, 10:38:05 pm »
I am glad to say I have now finally found enough framrate issues to get my machine back to a fairly constant 30 frames per second again. It only drops tot 25+ when alternating between rooms so there is still a little room for improvement, but it does me good to fix some of the mess I created lately. Or at least, it felt as if I had made a mess of things.

UPDATE:
After some more digging it appears the slowdown I have been experiencing lately is not due to my most recent expections, but rather to my machine's performance (for the most part). I downloaded my currently released demo and under simular circumstances it plays equal or worse them the version under development. Strange :huh:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:08:17 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #515 on: January 29, 2012, 02:36:53 am »
Some hardware could be going bad:
RAM
Processor
Video RAM
Or you could need a defrag/clean or even a complete Windows re-install.
It happens.  I have heard(not tested mind you) that to keep a pc optimal, you should do a refresh of Windows every 3-4 months if possible.  Dunno if that is true....
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2012, 08:48:09 am »
Thank you. This is the type of information that is always welcome.
And I heard as well that reinstalling windows every so often does a lot for your performance (*bring on windows jokes*).

In the mean time I guess this is a good way for me to consider people with slower computers. Yesterday I discovered that converting to gamemaker 8.1 does a lot of good and I'm working on improving some key scripts.

UPDATE:
Thanks to a search on "Windows 7 improve performance" I found plenty of options to improve my performance and now everything runs like it used to. The only thing left is when you enter the B1 floor of the main dungeon, but that was always there and I believe I masked it decent enough for the player to not be bothered.

So, on to actually adding more things. Also, I noticed it's been a while since I released any images or video's in my latest posts since. It's just been text. :-\ I'll take a look at showing off Murray in a new video sometime later today.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:36:56 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »
BTW, has the reseting been fixed?  I played the latest release you have given out and got pretty far into it.  I hated how that every time I went to the basement or sometimes up certain stairs, the puzzles/switches got reset.  This is annoying as some of the puzzles take some time, such as the swastika looking puzzle.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #518 on: January 29, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »
I believe I fixed a lot of those in the meantime, but I'll check it again just to be sure.
What other puzzles were bothering you in the same way?
« Reply #519 on: January 29, 2012, 02:12:17 pm »
The rest are just other switches/rooms with the spinning blocks that I had to sit through all over again.  Stuff like that.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 78 queries.