Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I setup a server?  (Read 1414 times)

How do I setup a server?
« on: September 02, 2007, 01:41:12 am »
Yeah so I don't wanna use SMFforfree because I can do so much more with the actual SMF thing. I don't know much about it, but I have the SMF package that has all the files I need to upload onto it. It's just I don't know how to setup an actual server. I believe you have to pay for it, if there's free sites tell me and I'll test them, but I could probably pay for it. So anyone willing to help?
  • https://colbydude.com
Re: How do I setup a server?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:51:55 am »
When you pay for it, its already setup.

ZFGC uses surpasshosting.com. I've recomended them for years, but lately I'm having my doubts with things. They do offer cheap starter packages though.

Setting up a server elsewhere (like on your computer) requires a bit more research. I recommend looking up a software called "XAMPP" its a good start. Make sure and clear it with your ISP that traffic and such is okay, so you don't get slapped with extra bandwidth charges. It should be stated somewhere in their terms of service agreement.

I recommend using a host, its a good start.

There are some free ones though.. look around before you pay.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:08:00 am »
If I use my computer, which I was thinking about doing, would it only be up while my computer is on or is there a way to keep it up?

EDIT: Ok I checked out surpass and I think I'm gonna do it when I get the money, but what are these Name Server things? It has NS1024.DIZINC.COM
NS1025.DIZINC.COM

What are these for?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 02:58:47 am by Colbydude »
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:13:57 am »
  • Minalien
Nameservers are what connect your domain name to your server's IP address. I wouldn't recommend using your own computer if you have no idea what you're doing, like what your case appears to be at the moment. Try looking at some free hosts or get some cheap hosting from godaddy.com or another site. I personally either pay for my own hosting or use some of my resources to hook me up with paid hosting for free <_<
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:49:43 pm »
Oh ok I seen now, but Ryan is hosting it temporarily (maybe I'll keep it), until I decide to find my own. I think I'll do the Surpass though, I haven't looked at Godaddy's prices, but I'll continue to look around.

mit

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 08:06:51 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
I'm with Easyspace and Godaddy. Easyspace was nice and cheap but got me nothing really, no mysql or much bandwidth on their lowest package. The uptime was pretty good though.

Godaddy has much more, the middle package I'm on, 100GB space, 1TB bandwidth, mysql, php, lots of good stuff like pointing more than one domain to your site (essentially hosting more than one site) and having multiple FTP accounts with different permissions. Oh, and 1,000 email accounts, like I need that many >_> Most importantly, it has a 99.99% Uptime guarantee.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 46 queries.