Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am thinking of starting a webhosting service.  (Read 655 times)

I am thinking of starting a webhosting service.
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:27:08 pm »
Does anyone know how to get into that?  I can get a hold of a server/workstation pc for
a couple hundred bucks.  It is scsi, has two 1.8 XEON processors a crap load of bays for cd-roms/HDDs,
1 gb ram....etc.
I am really thinking of buying it and setting up a webhost with it.  How
would I get started with something like that?
I just want to offer like a gig of space, no bandwidth,etc for anyone interested for like $10
as long as they have their own domain.
So, anyone know anything about this?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: I am thinking of starting a webhosting servi...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:33:28 pm »
Not trying to be an ass here.

However, its probably better to start with a dedicated server you 'rent' from a company. What you're doing (or planning on doing) is whats called 'co-location', unless you plan on running the box from your basement. If you want to move forward (go ahead) it may cost a lot. Talk to your *LOCAL* (not like AT&T) ISP's and find out if they offer any co-located hosting deals. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Co-location allows you to manage/work with your server while using someone elses services for bandwidth. So you basically pay for a rental fee and minimal bandwidth costs.

You might be better off getting a reseller or dedicated server to start with. (Just my opinion).
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:35:45 pm »
How abouts would I do that?I am willing to learn and read stuff...I just do not know where to start.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:48:22 pm »
Call up your ISP and ask "Hello, do you offer co-location packages?" or even "Hello, do you offer hosting services, specifically for co-location customers?"

Another option would be a hosting company. http://surpasshosting.com/ is what ZFGC uses. (We'll actually be changing our hosting package in the next month and moving to a different server that has a bit more stability -- I haven't fully announced that yet :p) Surpass is good in terms of... price, their customer service is improving as well, server stability is iffy from time to time, but they make do.

On a side note, where do you work? We both seem to work somewhere in the "IT" world.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:55:47 pm »
I just work in a small independant computer sales and repairs shop.
I live in Michigan, USA.  Belleville is the city.  I need a better paying job...
I only get paid $200 under the table for 54 hours a week of work and a $50 used part credit...
-_-...You need someone to work for you?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:04 pm »
You need money for a car, and now you want to start your own hosting company?

If you plan on running it from your own home using the contraption you want to buy then you would be using your own Internet to host it, whenever you disconnect from the net, so does it.

Plus there is the fact that the server will be slow for people if you're using your own interweb connection to run it. No one will pay for something that goes slow.

In Before Dial-up joke

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:17 pm »
You need money for a car, and now you want to start your own hosting company?

If you plan on running it from your own home using the contraption you want to buy then you would be using your own Internet to host it, whenever you disconnect from the net, so does it.

Plus there is the fact that the server will be slow for people if you're using your own interweb connection to run it. No one will pay for something that goes slow.

In Before Dial-up joke
It was just an idea I thought up.  Car is still #1 on my list to take care of though.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 51 queries.