Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you think Game Design could ever be as easy as....  (Read 4997 times)

Re: Do you think Game Design could ever be as ea...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 11:51:01 pm »
yeah, but like i hate how people always pair math and science together. i was great at science in high school but ive always sucked at math.

..Do you have any idea how much math is involved in science? (Physics is aaaall math, we wouldn't be able to figure out anything without it) It's dumbed down for you in high school science, but once you get to higher levels (like in college), it becomes calc based =\

Anyway, I hope to god programming is NEVER like that.  Yea, it looks like it makes sense, but it's really just more annoying IMO.  If you want easy game design, that's what things like RPG Maker and MMF are for.  Hell, I started with Games Factory even..

It was once said:
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Fact of the matter is, [good] game programming will always involve math. Perhaps with enough abstraction, someone else can do the math for you, but the math must be done.

If you've ever done any assembly coding, you'll agree with me when I say: Programming is (nearly) _all_ math.

[Edit: Lol, maybe the asm was a bit much]
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 05:51:42 am »
That would be so horribly limiting it wouldn't be worth using. Besides half the fun of game design is coding all the back-end stuff.

Programming is about being creative and finding the most efficient way to use the computer's resources. Dumbing that down is not what we want to do. Not only would we have every moron on the block releasing crappy games, but the software would be so high-level that it would run terribly on older hardware.

its already running crappy on old hardware... .NET :P
and yea, as stated before, programming really is all math :/
except you have to throw away all concepts of "classical math" <- dead
programming is the new math :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 05:53:32 am by Gonzo »

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 07:10:22 am »
That would be so horribly limiting it wouldn't be worth using. Besides half the fun of game design is coding all the back-end stuff.

Programming is about being creative and finding the most efficient way to use the computer's resources. Dumbing that down is not what we want to do. Not only would we have every moron on the block releasing crappy games, but the software would be so high-level that it would run terribly on older hardware.

its already running crappy on old hardware... .NET :P
and yea, as stated before, programming really is all math :/
except you have to throw away all concepts of "classical math" <- dead
programming is the new math :)

*COUGH*Checked the dates on the last post?*COUGH*
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 09:00:13 pm »
yea, i just had a brain tremor :P

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 11:47:31 pm »
I don't hope programming will ever become so easy, because that way my grandmother could make a game. And it would make us programmers not special! And programming is so awesome because it's a challenge and the satisfaction you feel when you managed to code something is priceless.
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:51 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
the satisfaction you feel when you managed to code something is priceless.

Except, of course, when you are paid to program whatever it was you managed to code.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 10:24:15 am »
"Three times the square of X plus the binary logarithm of two thousand and thirty four dot nine nine nine seven times X parenthesis Y plus square root of minus pi equals the inverse of minus Y dividing three quarters."

And just think how much of a nightmare it would be to get the compiler to convert that into machine code! Especially if there are multiple ways to write an equation in words. The language would have to recognize every possible way that a program could be typed, and it'd be quite a feat if anyone pulled that off.
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 11:25:20 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Programmers are like artists, except programmers just use the other side of their brains.

Artists tend to be obsessive perfectionists who want to get everything right but if push comes to shove they will cover it up or disguise it as a feature.
Programmers tend to be obsessive perfectionists who want to get everything right but if push comes to shove they will cover it up or disguise it as a feature.

Programmers need their complicated seperate-from-english code to function, and Artists need their equivalent tools to function :P
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 54 queries.

anything