Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Thor real?  (Read 5423 times)

Re: Is Thor real?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 10:33:32 pm »
I did not like the fact that you considered all Vikings to be drunk all of the time, but they did enjoy those types of beverages.  Was Thor real, yes he could have been.  Unfortunately, records are not that good and being real is a loose concept.  Religion to me is like glorified mythology that people want to claim as reality.  There is little doubt that Jesus of Nazareth existed as a real person, but all of the things he did and said are hard to believe.  In other words, there is history and historical fiction, and I am not going to draw the line where.  Thor could have been based on a real person and probably was.  That aspect of him was real.  The other things may have been tall tales, but Thor himself was loosely based on a real person, and that aspect to me made him real.  He could have also been born out of Norse ideas of perfection in battle, but his personification had to be based on someone.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 10:50:40 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I did not like the fact that you considered all Vikings to be drunk all of the time, but they did enjoy those types of beverages.  Was Thor real, yes he could have been.  Unfortunately, records are not that good and being real is a loose concept.  Religion to me is like glorified mythology that people want to claim as reality.  There is little doubt that Jesus of Nazareth existed as a real person, but all of the things he did and said are hard to believe.  In other words, there is history and historical fiction, and I am not going to draw the line where.  Thor could have been based on a real person and probably was.  That aspect of him was real.  The other things may have been tall tales, but Thor himself was loosely based on a real person, and that aspect to me made him real.  He could have also been born out of Norse ideas of perfection in battle, but his personification had to be based on someone.

Actually, regarding the drunk comment, I'm pure Irish, so I shouldn't be talking. :-\
IIRC, the Irish drank more than the Vikings...

So, bassically, you're saying that Thor could've been a great warrior who was immortalized as a god? In that case, it's entirley possible.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

La Sexorcisto HK

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 11:19:34 pm »
Well I still believe in Thor.
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 11:33:35 pm »
  • Why am I so indisicive?
It's same as when somebody says, "Oh, well Christianity must have SOME truth to it. It's not like anyone has that good of an imagination to just make it all up." The greeks, romans, and norse all have a common mythology. Multiple gods such as Odin, Thor, Zeus, Poseidon, etc etc. And while I'm not exactly sure on the connectivity between them all, like I said, there must be some truth to all of the myths. ZFGC, I ask you, could Thor be real?

Ah, trying to prove a point through sarcasm. always fun.

However, in Christianity Jesus was a real person, same goes for Islam and the prophet of whom I don't want to butcher his name.

Thor was a God, and there is no way to really prove any God. But, if Christiananity's God could be real, why not Thor.

I personally like the Flyong Spegetti Monster.
Meghan <3 Lederhosen!

Soy un perdedor. I???m a loser baby, so why don???t you kill me?

<('.'<)<)<)<)<)
  • deviant
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 11:41:06 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
yes but now we know its not real.It started because they  liked beliving in it.They would make sacrifices which is wrong.Why would you kill someone just to make someone happy.Thats murder.Its still arround but now known as a cult.
First off, religions don't just start because "they liked believing in it". It wasn't just some fad. It was a full-fledged religion. The only two differences between it and christianity are the polytheism and the fact that it's died down. Next, you don't kill someone to make someone else happy, you sacrifice something you care about (that's why it's a sacrifice and not just a ritual burning), in this case another human being, to your God(s) in order to show them that you respect him(them) above all and to show your gratitude for XXX event. Finally, a cult isn't just people who sacrifice others. A cult is really just a very, very minor religion usually based around the promise of a better life if they follow the leader's instructions. Sort of like Chosen People striving for a Promised Land (now where have I heard that before?). The stereotypes infer that ritual suicide (using spiked kool-aid) would take place at a predisposed time in order to reach said promised land. It has happened and it's sad, but that's not what a cult is. It's really just a minor religion.

But (this is a real question)...WHO THE !@#$% BELIEVES IN THOR!? It's been proven that it's a myth. Myths are not real.
Oh??! It was PROVEN now was it? I must have missed that report. The one entitiled "Undeniable proof Thor was completely fictional!". What, was there an ancient Nordic tablet written by some old guy saying "I made them all up just for kicks!"? Nothing's been proven.

I'm sure he's a myth because, well, he's a myth.
Oh well NOW I'm convinced!

It wasn't proven to be true, that's why it's called Myth.
Noone can prove the bible is false, so not so much a "myth"
Plenty of things in the Bible have been proven false. People even spend their lives trying to disprove it. Also take note that the Bible hasn't been proven true either. Does that make it a myth too? On the other hand if it has been proven wrong it's closer to a book of lies, right?

Thank you 4Sword for finally hitting on the purpose of the topic! :D Yeah I believe that most, if not all of the Nordic gods, even the Egyptian or Greek gods of yore, were based on actual people. The one thing that leeds me to believe this is the fact that they all have complex back-stories and lineages with soap opera-esque plot twists and knots in their family trees. Doesn't it all seem very much like the way we track movie stars or famous peoples' lives? And since when were gods born? I thought that gods weren't supposed to have a start or end. They just are. With all that it could easily have been that stories and myths of the gods were exaggerated tales of heroes gone by, and accelerated into godliness. Hell, it's even possible that it was never a true religion but still a set of tabloid-y stories. Think of it this way: if we were to all drop dead right now and aliens were to come across our culture (the pop one as it were), would it not be possible that they percieve someone like Micheal Jackson to be a Satan like character who was once reveared then plummeted from his seat among the stars (oooh! double meaning!) and became a vile and wretched being hated by all but the foolish. Then someone like Robin Williams could end up being like Loki, the trickster, G. W. Bush would be the god of War, and to cap it all off we could have Elvis be the King among them. He would be reveared by all. HE even once came down from the heavens to fight among the people in wars and troubled times. Whle on Earth he died, let's say murdered, POISONED even, by the dark one known as Ozzy, servant of Jackson, who used his mind and body altering drugs to change and destroy the King. Years later, the King would return among the men and release his word once again... in a remix.

So, yeah... With the likelyhood of something like that happeing, I have no problem believing that gods were based on actual people when it comes to polytheism. Whether or not they were actual Gods however is something that can neither be proven or disproven, only believed and disbelieved... and just because you believe in anything doesn't make it true. That goes for all beliefs.

P.S.
Thor was a God, and there is no way to really prove any God. But, if Christiananity's God could be real, why not Thor.
Because Jesus wasn't a god, he was a man, the son of God. God himself has never been proven only the fact that someone alleging to be his offspring and people who claim they spoke with him were real people.

BTW, just so it's clear for the future in case people get this mixed up: the christian, jewish and islamic God are all the same God. Allah is not another god, only the Arab word for "god", like "dieu" is "god" french.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 11:47:03 pm »
the christian, jewish and islamic God are all the same God. Allah is not another god, only the Arab word for "god", like "dieu" is "god" french.

Here's a quote for you:

There is no God, but Allah.

I've butchered that open. Straight from the Koran.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 11:51:25 pm »

Because Jesus wasn't a god, he was a man, the son of God. God himself has never been proven only the fact that someone alleging to be his offspring and people who claim they spoke with him were real people.

I don't understand what your getting at. I wasn't denying the exsistence of Jesus the person. I was questioning the exsistence of God.
Meghan <3 Lederhosen!

<('.'<)<)<)<)<)
  • deviant
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 11:52:39 pm »

they're are still the same God. They all have prophets in common. They all have Jesus involved in some way, though not the same way.
Meghan <3 Lederhosen!

<('.'<)<)<)<)<)
  • deviant

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 11:55:46 pm »
Don't question. Accept.

But anyway...Going back to the current issue. If anyone here would actually read the Bible (skimming doesn't count as reading), they'd learn that Jesus was 100% man and 100% God. He was the 200% man.

*sulks back into the shadows*

they're are still the same God. They all have prophets in common. They all have Jesus involved in some way, though not the same way.

Ok...then explain why every Muslim in the world (figure of speech) denies that God existed and only Allah does.

(!@#$%)

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:05 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
the christian, jewish and islamic God are all the same God. Allah is not another god, only the Arab word for "god", like "dieu" is "god" french.

Here's a quote for you:

All that means is that there is only one true God. I've also read bits of the Koran. Especially that little bit which says exactly what I did.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 11:59:06 pm »

Ok...then explain why every Muslim in the world (figure of speech) denies that God existed and only Allah does.

They're actually denying the christian (or whatever) religion. The just named they're God, christians did not.
Meghan <3 Lederhosen!

<('.'<)<)<)<)<)
  • deviant
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 12:03:13 am »
The line "There is no God, but Allah" is being misinterpreted.  It means there is no Allah, but Allah or there is no Allahs but the one Allah.  The word God is only translated into English like that for clarity.  I think that this is meant to diversify from Christianity who believes Jesus was a part of God, and they only think that he was a good prophet.  They do not view Muhammad as a deity, only a prophet.  Just like what Alex2539 and others said before I had the chance to post this.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 06:42:33 pm »
So I can name God? Ok, God, you're no longer God. You're Bob! We shall now all worship Bob on Sundays! [/sarcasm]

(!@#$%)

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 06:54:03 pm »
The name God is kind of lame.  Names like Yahweh, Jehovah, and Allah are more original to English speakers anyway.  Because believers of Islam call their god Allah, the statement is "There is no Allah, but Allah".  The English word God you know and love is not its first form either. 
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 07:01:05 pm »
  • 7.18.1.3.5 <3
It wasn't proven to be true, that's why it's called Myth.
Noone can prove the bible is false, so not so much a "myth"
Plenty of things in the Bible have been proven false. People even spend their lives trying to disprove it. Also take note that the Bible hasn't been proven true either. Does that make it a myth too? On the other hand if it has been proven wrong it's closer to a book of lies, right?

So, may I know what was proven false?
I guess if it is proved wrong later on, it'll also become a myth.
A myth kind of story, like Zeus and stuff.

Religion is commonly defined as belief concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the moral codes, practices, values, and institutions associated with such belief. It is a structure of beliefs that involves the existence of at least one of:

a human soul or spirit,
a deity or higher being, or
self after the death of one's body.
It generally involves how people worship and can include any system of beliefs (eg., like those that do not involve the existence of one or more deities like Buddhism).

Mythology refers to a collection of stories about a people, usually concerning their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes behind the belief structure and faith. The stories discussed express the viewpoints and beliefs of the country, time period, culture, and/or religion which gave birth to them. It can also be a body of myths concerning an event, person, or institution. One can speak of a Jewish mythology, a Christian mythology, or an Islamic mythology, in which one describes the mythic elements within these faiths without speaking to the veracity of the faith's tenets or claims about its history. Mythology is used to refer to stories that, whether or not believers accept them as strictly factual, are believed to reveal fundamental truths and insights about human nature, often through the use of archetypes. From this perspective, Story (Myth), figures prominently in most religions and belief systems, and specific mythologies are tied to at least one religion.

The word mythology itself is sometimes controversial. Because it is usually applied to the narratives of religions that are no longer widely practiced, many people assume that all myths are false. Myth and mythology can denote beliefs without implying falsehood.
^http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_mythology
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:08:47 pm by lalanoodle »
SSBB FC: 4639-8685-4595

tippz

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2006, 01:08:28 am »

Here's a quote for you:

*singing* ignorance

Anyway, as it has been said that quote means the same thing as the one in the Christian Bible or the Jewish Torah. I am the one true God, you shall ove no other gods besides me.

If you actually cared to research a bit you would realize that is all three holy books the same story is told up until Jesus. The Jews and Muslims view him as a prophet, Christians view him as the Son of God. Now, all three make mention of Jesus and his family. Did you know that the Koran even has a MORE detailed description of Mary's (mother of Jesus) life than the Bible? *gasp* At this point, the Jewish Torah kind of stops. The Bible goes into the end of the world, then stops. The Koran though, keeps going with its own end to the same story. Muhammed is their great prophet and that essentially ends their book. Same story, same God, different endings...

Thor very well could be real. It varies throughout the middle eastern religions history whether other religion's god(s) are referred to as false god(s) or if followers are only allowed to worship God. So simply because you are one of the three religions does not mean you cannot believe in the existance of other gods.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 01:13:18 am by tippz »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 69 queries.