Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: You'll never guess how I'm posting this!  (Read 2915 times)

Re: You'll never guess how I'm posting this!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 07:12:09 pm »
  • that old name
Well, Venus, I knew that you were typing a post about freedom and GNU/Linux as soon as I saw that you were responding :P.
All that means is that I know your persona pretty well by now =P.

But anyway, as far as the iTunes debacle goes:
Free, un-DRM'd audio, that.. at the same time is digitally purchased, is a great thought, but the record companies/artists need to agree. iTunes would not be NEAR what it is today if Apple wasn't offering some sort of DRM on their audio files. When it comes to music, while freedom is a nice concept, few of the digital services that feel strongly about freedom will ever get the support of the record companies they need, to make their digital stores take off! I buy CD's 99% of the time, as I get better audio quality, and the audio data HAS to be there unencrypted.. but EVEN THEN, they find ways of making it hard to get to. The point is, while nice in concept, the corporations that sell music, or...oh god, movies(now w/ 2x the DRM ;)), are super paranoid about letting their consumers get near the product that they bought. Despite the fact that, if it can be watched/heard, it is possible to at least get a very close analogue representation of the original.

Next, I like Linux, for all the time that I have used it.. and cumulatively I have used it quite a bit now. But I keep giving up on it, as it.. it is what the user wants it to be.. now that's general, and in a sense, that is what GNU/Linux/Freedom/etc.. is all about, right? But there's quite the learning curve, if you want to exploit a Linux Distro. for all there is. Some Distro's are extremely simple to use! But ..why would I want to use it, when I can do more, customize more, etc.. with Windows. Now, that would be entirely untrue if I knew a whole lot about Linux, and that Distro, but without learning quite a bit about it, ..it really doesn't do much for you. I use an OS for what I can do with it, and in Linux' case, I could probably do quite a bit more, in time, but until I'm ready to devote the time that's needed, I'll continue doing more in the environment that is simpler to grasp a hold of! I can exploit nearly all the stuff that I'd like to, in Windows(not EVERYTHING, but WHAT I'D LIKE TO), running off of prior knowledge, and only slight learning. GNU/Linux/Freedom/etc.. in general leaves the doors much more wide open, but Windows has made things easier for me to customize, without making me feel like a slave in a idiot-ized, and limited GUI.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 08:15:52 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I've been a Windows fanboy since Day 1. Sue me =).
Alright, lets go to court. I accuse you (on citizens arrest) of being a Windows Fanboy since Day 1. And I have scientifically quoted evidence!

Anyways, Sterlin, this was just upon installation of Windows that I got all of these. They're mostly harmless, but how am I even getting them? And why was IE randomly popping up. After deleting IE, and rebooting I got the message several times throughout the first 5 minutes that IE was trying to open (without my telling it to), but it couldn't find the file. :P But eventually Windows realized that I had completely eradicated its crappy browser and gave up on popping me up any more. :P
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 08:26:48 pm »
  • that old name
For the Record, not but an hour after typing "but Windows has made things easier for me to customize", I'm searching the internet for a way to customize the top-right section of the start-menu, as Windows likes to make it all secretive about how the pre-existing shortcuts got there >___>.

EDIT: Which it turns out is near impossible, and I can't find anybody who's done it. . . ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:16:11 am by Sterlin254 »

Devy

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 12:14:30 am »
happened to me many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many
times cuz my comp is a piece of !@#$%
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 01:12:10 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
What has happened to you many many (etc..) times?
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 12:15:27 pm »
  • IBV
For the Record, not but an hour after typing "but Windows has made things easier for me to customize", I'm searching the internet for a way to customize the top-right section of the start-menu, as Windows likes to make it all secretive about how the pre-existing shortcuts got there >___>.

EDIT: Which it turns out is near impossible, and I can't find anybody who's done it. . . ::)

I believe you need to dig deep in the awful register on Windows to do it. Though I'm not sure. It could very well be hard-coded and then your *dead* because there's no source to modify and no one could ever help you and neither could you help yourself. Kinda weird to buy something and not have 100 % control over it?

Personally I also only buy CDs/Vinyl. Mostly because it's the original as the musician intended it, and iTunes, if they even have the music I want, just provide a crappy lossy representation of the audio FOR THE SAME PRICE. I don't agree that it's a problem that those libre digital music stores don't get the support from the record companies. And to be honest, it's only the major record industry. A whole lot of independent labels (and more and more common, unsigned musicians) have started to distribute their music digitally and it's good they have grasped the idea with no DRM in consumer products (DRM in secret private documents is another thing), and find distributors/music stores that makes sure it's like this. Some have even started to released their music under libre licenses in the same way libre software works, such as CreativeCommons (although, some of those licenses aren't particularly libre in that sense, like those that *only* allow noncommercial distribution, and no modifying). Although I'm not as picky with freedom in culture as I'm with computerware, it's a great step forward.

Sorry for hijacking this thread btw <.<
My signature is empty.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 49 queries.