Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GRUB  (Read 498 times)

tazini

GRUB
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:49:37 pm »
How do I uninstall GRUB loader from my BIOS? I installed ubuntu, i didn't feel Linux was right for me, and I was able to delete the partitions from my hard drive and format them to windows. But I still need to remove GRUB from my BIOS, if you know how to, please reply!
Re: GRUB
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:45:45 am »
  • w00t
This may not be the best solution, but it worked for me.  Download a boot floppy version of FreeDOS (Googling for "freedos floppy" should give you the results you want) and use Rawrite to put the image on the floppy.  Boot to the floppy disk, and it should give you a command prompt.  Type "fdisk /mbr" to replace the GRUB bootloader with a generic master boot record that should work until you can boot into your regular computer again.

The only reason I suggest FreeDOS is because I'm not sure if fdisk is included with the boot floppies you can create through the Windows right-click menu.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame

tazini

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 02:50:19 am »
I have been reading around some more about this and have you heard anything on Super GRUB? I've heard that it is good for removing GRUB from UNIX/Linux machines, when you are looking to go back to Windows.

What have you heard about it?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 09:28:25 am »
  • IBV
It's NOT in the BIOS o.O It's in a special area on the HDD.
You can get rid of it by using the Windows repair thing, I think. It will install it's own boot loader so it will boot itself. Windows boot loader is only a simple one that will only boot Windows automatically (in contrast to GRUB which is much more flexible and can create a list). A lot of people had the problem to get rid of Vista's boot loader when they tried the beta. The solutions they used to get back the Windows XP boot loader should be the same as you do, I think.

You *could* however still use GRUB as boot loader because it is able to boot Windows with certain parameters. I'm not sure if there's a configuration program for Windows, though.

Why go back to Windows though? o.O You give up your freedom... Your choice I guess.
My signature is empty.

tazini

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 01:09:36 pm »
Don't worry about it now, I was able to uninstall it from the MBR with SGD (Super Grub Disk), I recommend to anyone who has the same problem as me, use SGD.

But thank you all for your input ^-^
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 47 queries.