Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QUICK: Avoid intializing/formatting!?  (Read 1573 times)

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
QUICK: Avoid intializing/formatting!?
« on: July 14, 2007, 08:18:24 pm »
I've just tried to copy all pictures of my xD-card that I use for my digicam. There were around 320 pictures on this 512-mb-baby.

However... during the process of copying the folder with the pictures from the card to my hard-drive, the following message appeared:

Das Zeitlimit des angegebenen E/A-Vorgangs auf \Device\Harddisk5\DR9 wurde erreicht bevor der E/A-vorgang abgeschlossen wurde.

Translation:

The time-limit of the particular E/A-process on \Device\Harddisk5\DR9 was reached before the E/A-process was over.

I was given the choices "Cancel" "continue" and something else.

So I press "Continue". The next thing I know is that there's still the copying-bar but it doesn't really change, and I can't access the "My Computer"-folder to access that xD-card. I rebooted the PC, only to find that the xD-folder doesn't pop up when I push in the card and when I try to access it in "My Computer" it tells me that I need to format it. Like, delete all my files. But I haven't yet copied all files.

Is there a way to avoid formatting?
  • Me on deviantART
Re: QUICK: Avoid intializing/formatting!?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 08:31:45 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Ermmm... you should have pressed cancel and figured out what the program was before-hand. Too late now though. I don't know if there is a way to avoid formatting if the computer wants you to format it :P

Fox

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:03:06 pm »
Aha.

Any other idea that doesn't help me for the next time that happens but helps me NOW?
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:38:55 pm »
search on google for a file recovery program. Find one that scans the disk IO and, if you're lucky, you may be able to recover some of the files. If you've used the disk scince it was formatted (taken any more photos) there's a lot less chance of recovering everything. I used one to try and recover my itunes library when I accidentally deleted it but no luck :( . I could see a whole heap of other files I had deleted too. the one I have (forgotten what it's called, all I know is the icon has a spyware doctor person on it. I think it's pci file recovery system thing) scans external disks too.

hope this helps.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 12:42:02 pm »
Use Linux. Might help, might not.

knoppix is a thoroughly decent LiveCD.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 05:25:22 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Wait, did you try a system restore point? That could work.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 05:45:05 pm »

Why would it? You can't use a system restore on an xD card <.<; anyway, slot your card back into your digicam and try to view the pictures on the actual digicam. Do they show up there? If so, RECOVERABLE! If not, IT R DEAD!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Im trying last ditch attempts lol... She's pretty screwed over. ^_^

Fox

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 06:23:29 pm »
search on google for a file recovery program. Find one that scans the disk IO and, if you're lucky, you may be able to recover some of the files. If you've used the disk scince it was formatted (taken any more photos) there's a lot less chance of recovering everything. I used one to try and recover my itunes library when I accidentally deleted it but no luck :( . I could see a whole heap of other files I had deleted too. the one I have (forgotten what it's called, all I know is the icon has a spyware doctor person on it. I think it's pci file recovery system thing) scans external disks too.

hope this helps.
Hm, I might try that. If you got any suggestions for good programs, let me know.

I don't have Linux or anyone who might have it. ;-;

Why would it? You can't use a system restore on an xD card <.<; anyway, slot your card back into your digicam and try to view the pictures on the actual digicam. Do they show up there? If so, RECOVERABLE! If not, IT R DEAD!
No, they don't. Even my digicam tells me to format that !@#$% lol.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 02:09:12 am »
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm
^^you could try that, i found it after a little bit of searching, can't say if it's any good or not.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 01:02:33 pm »
  • IBV

I don't have Linux or anyone who might have it. ;-;

Download it from the net: http://knoppix.com/ (just click download, select mirror and you have it)
Burn it to a CDR large enough. Put it in the drive and restart. If it won't boot from the CD you need to change your BIOS settings (to make it boot from the CD-drive instead of the HDD-drive).
Now when Knoppix is up plug in the card and find it in the file browser (which is called Konqueror, I think) and copy them over wherever you want them.

No, they don't. Even my digicam tells me to format that !@#$% lol.

:/ This doesn't look good.
My signature is empty.

Fox

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 03:17:13 pm »
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm
^^you could try that, i found it after a little bit of searching, can't say if it's any good or not.
Thanks, that worked like a charm. And it was free! Unfortunately, some photos are damaged, visually mixed up (like chopped to pieces and put together randomly, it seems), and the Wii can't even read those pictures. But I was able to save a good 70%. Thanks Windy. : D

@ Venus: I remember being there... I wanted to get Linux once, but for some reason I didn't get it. I forgot why, though... o_o
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:42 pm »
Oh, wow, I didn't think that would work O__o; I've had this exact same situation before and I formatted. O NOES GOD HATES ME FOR NOT BELIEVING IN HIM D:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 63 queries.