Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone tried gamespace?  (Read 2123 times)

Xiphirx

wat
Has anyone tried gamespace?
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:53:49 am »
  • Xiphirx
I want to know because i am looking in using it.
incase you need it: http://www.caligari.com/gamespace/

Thank you for reading
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:20:18 am by xiphirx »
  • For The Swarm
Re: Has anyone tried gamespace?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:16:32 pm »
  • 1 Man Army making Hylian Legends
Yes I have.

I used Caligari's programs heavily for +/- 6 years (From 1997-2003). Since then I have tried the new version trials, but have not *yet* found a viable reason for purchasing.

Currently, I use a combination of Sketchup Pro, and, believe it or not- milkshape and blender.

Milkshape is quite frankly, incredible at exporting & converting formats. I don't use it for modeling,
but there's quite a few *very* in depth step by step tutorials for character and building creation
in it.  I have found and seen Milkshape in use everywhere from Industrial Design companies, to
professional 3D game studios.

While some would argue for 3DStudio Max, my arguements against it are:
**Very very poor importing capabilities
**Horrible texture map reading
** Mindblowingly broken yearly support/licensing fees... Don't get me started on that one ;-)

On the same token, my arguements *for* 3DStudio, are:
** Great animation tools
** Rapid rendering and video creation
** Tons of insane, raw, horsepower.
** Huge community that's actually helpful.

My arguements for Caligari's products are:
** Wicked cool interface
** Fast, fairly easy to understand software
** Good animation abilities
** Best of industry example files (in my opinion)
** Does nothing either exceptionally well or badly

Arguements against Caligari:
** Mediocre community that behaves more like a sony/360/etc. fanboys, as opposed to making
     any sort of valid points, or contributions.
** Horrible support 1/2 the time- EXCEPTIONAL support the other 1/2.
** Does nothing either exceptionally well or badly-no this isn't a mistake being on 2ce.

-----------
So what's my current 'pipeline' for art creation?
Easy.
Sketchup to LithUnwrap, LithUnwrap to Milkshape (to apply permanently the textures), Milkshape to in-game engine.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:19:53 am »
  • Xiphirx
What about game space? is it easy to learn?
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:41:20 am »
Personally I would seriously avoid any 'build-a-game-easily' toolkits. They tend to be horribly limiting and have no carry over in to the industry (if thats where you wish to go). Its far less limiting and far more usefull to go and learn C++ or something similar and design your own 3D engine, it may take longer but its far better in the long run.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:27:56 am »
  • Xiphirx
Hmm...
I don't know why but for some reason I cant learn c++ (I've tried countless times). It hates me.... I'm like BASIC to it.....
Any who, Infinitus, maybe if you could point me to a tutorial that taught you c++?

Thanks I am sick of 2D and I am trying to move into the 3D phase before college,
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:33:05 am »
Hmm...
I don't know why but for some reason I cant learn c++ (I've tried countless times). It hates me.... I'm like BASIC to it.....
Any who, Infinitus, maybe if you could point me to a tutorial that taught you c++?
I didn't learn it from a tutorial, I just read about 10 minutes of syntax / syntantic descriptions, and the occassional error reference, and I became fluent in it >.<. Probably not very helpfull for you.

Best advise is to do what I did when I began to learn to program, find a simple and relatively easy language that your capable of programming it (my advice is blitzmax (blitzmax.com), its designed specifically for games, and its pretty powerfull. Yet easy to learn.), then gradually move your way up as you begin to learn the different constructs of programming.

Thanks I am sick of 2D and I am trying to move into the 3D phase before college,
Moving between dimensions is pretty pointless unless you learn how to actually program.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 12:47:15 am »
  • Xiphirx
Yeah I'm so mad that my high school computer science classes only teach you BASIC (they have visual basic installed to it makes me so mad).
At least my teacher lets me have game maker installed  XD
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:52:20 am »
Yeah I'm so mad that my high school computer science classes only teach you BASIC (they have visual basic installed to it makes me so mad).
Actually some varients of BASIC are very well designed and have a lot of raw power behind them (Not Visual Basic, obviously).

Your lucky, when I was in what you would term 'high-school' we never got taught any form of programming, we just learnt exceptionall stupid thing like how to use word >.<. Or how to install windows >.<. Thank god I'm out of that now.

At least my teacher lets me have game maker installed  XD
Bad teacher, bad teacher! *Beats teacher with stick*.

They certainly shouldn't be allowing you to install that :P. GM programs tend to give people very lazy programming habits, not to mention they have no transferable value over to real game development in general.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:53:50 am »
  • Xiphirx
Infinitus, if you would, send me  the source code to a very easy program (The first one you did/tried?). (I too can learn from syntax)
Don't worry I'll be okay...
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:54:49 am »
Infinitus, if you would, send me  the source code to a very easy program (The first one you did/tried?). (I too can learn from syntax)
Don't worry I'll be okay...
lol. I started programming years and years ago. I don't have the source to my old programs XD. Just download some examples from your languages main site.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:55:48 am »
  • Xiphirx
Yea but I know that you are a good programmer that follows block coding.... much of what I have seen is a bunch of jibberish
  • For The Swarm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 60 queries.

anything