Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reign of Melancholy - A Prose Fantasy Project  (Read 1262 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Reign of Melancholy - A Prose Fantasy Project
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:25:23 pm »
  • b e p i s
This is a project I started about a year ago but, due to several ongoing screenplays (two of which I have finished!) and some writer's block, I never finished it. It's a fantasy that tries to balance politics with whimsical, romantic elements. Thanks to some recent inspiration, I'm considering picking it back up and perhaps publishing it on the web for free...depending on if I can generate enough content for its projected novel size.

I'm posting the prologue and opening chapter here for anyone that's interested in reading it. If I gain an audience here, there are at least two more chapters finished.

--Prologue--

The moon was bright tonight.
    It stood out in the clear night sky, casting a supernatural glow on the world, causing light to bloom from the treetops of the forest canopy. Slivers of its otherworldly warmth cascaded over the churning current of the Great River, glistening brilliantly off wet, moss-covered rocks struggling to keep their heads above the surface.
    This river would guide Aric tonight.
    Like a gentle blue giant, it carried him. All he had to do was point it in the right direction. Thankfully the river was just shallow enough for Aric to pole through, despite its width and seemingly never-ending length. And indeed, Aric had no idea where this monster began or ended. He had never been beyond the borders of Turiel, at least not since he was about two, and he had no memory of that.
    But Aric still knew where he was headed.
    Scribe Daywin had always loved Aric, almost like a son, and questioned him not when he requested some maps of the lands to the south of Turiel's vast forests. That was the problem; ironically, Aric seemed to be the only one who ever questioned anything.
    Aric looked back over his shoulder. Home, he thought. Or at least it was.
    The River Fortress of Turiel was immense, and Aric was unaccustomed to it being this small. Even now, a fair distance downriver, it still towered above the centuries-old trees of the forest.
    To Aric, it seemed as hard to leave as it would be for enemies to breach. Castle Turiel was constructed on top of a huge stone arch that spanned the breadth of the Great River. A man could only get in two ways; the entrances on each side of the river or from below, riding the current southward as it flowed underneath the walls. There were no guard towers on this side of the castle, for which Aric was thankful, but the opposite end was death for all northern intruders.
    True, just the day before this enormous structure was where Aric called home. It had been as such for fifteen years. But not anymore. Inside the walls of Castle Turiel, something had been wrong for around a month now. When he came.
    The Last Mage of Kelhan, he called himself. How he could call himself that was beyond Aric; the Kelhan people had imploded some 10 years before in their thirst for magic. Ragnar had a certain other magic, however; a sort of supernatural personal charm. It was a technique he used to gain the trust of the king, Aric's siblings, and even old Daywin. Poor, poor Daywin. A bright man, yet so blind to threats.
   Ragnar's charms clearly had their intended effect on King Rickard. Since his arrival in Turiel an unexplainable air of confidence, cockiness even, had overtaken the good king. There had always been tension between Turiel and the eastern nation of Runadea, but Aric's father was now possessed of an inexplicable desire to destroy them. It was frightening.
   If I cannot save them, thought Aric, then I will save myself.
   Aric kept on down the river, god knows what behind him, and hopefully salvation somewhere on the horizon.

- 1 -

Casle Turiel's size was typically a reassurance to all who made it a home. However, at a time such as this one, its greatest strength would become a source of lamentation, especially when every inch of it had to be searched in such a short time.
   Such was the task Bernard was charged with. He supposed that was what he got, being a member of the Bronze Guard. Above the citizenry, below the military, and gaining the respect of neither, his place was an awkward niche of both duty and independence. He missed the days of exploring Turiel's forest as a boy, as he rarely left the castle because the Bronze were perpetually on garrison duty.
   Which made it even more unusual for Rickard to directly hand down an order to the black sheep of his defense force, those who were even less important than his rarely used reserve of footmen. Right after the dawn shift began for the Bronze, chaos erupted.
   Prince Aric was gone.
   Gone? thought Bernard. But...how?
   It wasn't the place of a Bronze to ask questions. Then again, it usually wasn't the place of a Bronze to search for missing princes, either. The sun was just waking up, and soon the whole of Turiel would rise with it awash with rumors and gossip.
   "Bronze Guard, open up." Pound pound pound. "Come on, up with you."
   He and two other guardsmen were at the door of a small tenement building in a lower class section of Turiel Castle Town. The place was so claustrophobic that it was hard to tell where one building ended and another began.
   "Bronze Guard, please open your door."
   "Oh, shut up, I'm coming for Drenn's sake!"
   There was a thundering inside the house followed by the soft rumblings of smaller feet and the sounds of a rushed waking. The door was unlatched hastily and opened. A large, bulbous man, built like a blacksmith, greeted them about as warmly as the Fellwin mountains. He was flanked on both sides by a girl and a woman, both of whom were meek and silent, clad in ambiguous white one-piece clothing that draped over them like a tent.
   "What?" he remarked impatiently.
   Bernard began, going through the motions. "Greetings, citizen. Under the direct command of Rickard Turion, Second of His Name and Reigning King of Turiel - "
   "Oh, under the command of our Lord King, eh? Splendid. Tell him to let me !@#$% sleep, I've got a long day ahead of me."
   "Sir, we are under warrant to search your home."
   He was dumbstruck, but the other two kept silent and emotionless. "Er...whatcha mean?"
   "Please let us enter, sir," Bernard replied. Here came the most annoying part of the procedure. "Lest we must force ourselves so."
   "What? You come 'ere at - " he peered into the orange sky - "six in the morning, and demand all righteous-like to wake me up and search my !@#$% house?" He made a noise of disgust. "Fine, come in, ye knights of bronze, but ye won't find jack !@#$% in this hole in th'wall." He stepped out of the way and the woman and girl followed, still staring blankly at the soldiers.
   "The king appreciates your compliance," one of Bernard's companions generically blurted.
   "My king don't appreciate !@#$%," he yawned loudly. They were obligated to hush such talk, but given the circumstances and the irrelevancy of doing so, the three Bronzemen made an exception.
   True to his word, the man had very little in his part of the tenement. Bernard assumed he worked elsewhere due to his collection of smithing hammers hung on the wall. He obviously did more unskilled work to live in a place like this. 'Who do you smith for, sir?" asked Bernard, hoping to ease the tension.
   "None of your god-damned business," he replied tersely. Well, that settled that discussion. Bernard climbed the rickety staircase slowly, struggling in the tight confines of the tenement because of his bulky armor.
   "Margaret!" yelled the man. "Fix some coffee, seeing as 'ow my day's startin' bright and early thanks to His !@#$% Grace. Yeah, really graceful this 'ole thing is. And Cate, you don't leave this house 'til the festival starts. Can't have you runnin' about."
   The second story consisted solely of a bedroom with no sign of anything, much less Aric. A quick check under the low-sitting bed confirmed that, like every home they had checked since the shift began, Turiel’s prince was nowhere to be found. Of course he could still be in the city, but you'd think he'd be in a more creative hiding place.
   It was time to leave. Bernard joined the other guards downstairs, with a silent understanding that they had all found nothing. Thankfully, one of the other men did the honors.
   "Thank you for your cooperation. We shall take our leave."
   "Hope you enjoyed your stay, bronze boys," the smith responded sarcastically. Bernard didn't know the other soldiers, but was glad that they were as apathetic to insults as himself.
   The rest of the morning progressed without incident. They searched several shops, one of which was tricky to maneuver in because of the potions stacked to the ceiling in glass jars and vials. Most of the private homes were full of overexcited children running around, though they did enter one that was the domain of an old crone that looked as if she hadn't been outside in years. Other bronzemen could be seen around them, digging through every building and combing through every alley for some hint of Aric, to no avail.
   Around ten when the Tricentennial Festival was starting, the search was called off. Rickard had decided Aric couldn't be anywhere in the city. His disappearance was the primary topic of discussion at Bernard's lunch in the Bronze barracks at the North end of the city, in the heart of the Industrial District.
   "So what happened, exactly?" Bernard asked a fellow soldier at his table.
   "What, besides Aric going missing?"
   "You know what I mean, Joaquin."
   "Well, there's lots of rumors. Some say he got kidnapped by Runadean spies. Course, Rickard would want us to believe that, eh? Seems plausible though." He paused to finish a mouthful of trout. "The crazies are all saying Ragnar did something with the boy. Drenn knows that mage is pretty powerful."
   "But Aric? Why not the king?"
   "That's what I said. But...one of my buds - we grew up together, he's in the Silver - says that Aric just ran away."
   Now that was almost as tough to swallow as the slightly molded bread on Bernard's plate. "...Why? Why the hell would Aric want to leave Turiel? We're easily the most powerful nation in the world, he's betrothed to that pretty Darnell girl, and come on...he's a prince! And on the day of the Tricentennial...oh, Rickard must be distraught!
   Joaquin finished his plate and signaled a serving girl to take it to the kitchens. "Well I know for sure Emile and Rogan are, but...funny thing about Rickard, he's...not."
   "What?"
   "Yeah, I saw him this morning when he was giving orders to the zone officers. Seemed...annoyed, more than anything. Like he was doing chores or something."
   Bernard was mystified. Being a simple town guard of a city that was never attacked gave him small knowledge of Rickard and Aric's relationship; however, he could formulate no excuse or reason for such strange behavior.
   "Perhaps he's too busy with the festivities," Bernard reasoned. Whether it was wishful thinking or not, he couldn't tell.
   "Understandably," said Joaquin. "Our brothers are swamped. Seriously, this place is nuts, literally all the city. People came from as far west as Kierkaden. Hell, even the Darnells from all the way South showed up."
   "Well, that's to be expected."
   "Yeah, they're in for a nasty surprise though when they see that Aric's gone off somewhere. Poor little Lara, her betrothed is missing..."
   They were headed back to duty now. The hallways of the barracks were a maze of shining armor and the amber glow of torches, with the occasional servant or fellow soldier bustling through. Joaquin, ever a master of social graces, spotted a particularly busty maid and gave her a clap on the rear. She responded in kind with a slap to the face.
   "Hmm...red doesn't look too bad with bronze, I suppose," said Joaquin, rubbing the sore spot on his cheek.
   Bernard chuckled. "Remember, you're a Bronze boy." It was a fact that he faced every day; sure, you policed the citizenry, but the Bronze were the outcasts of Turiel's defense force. It was a job due more credit and respect than what it usually received.
   However, as Bernard stood guard in Osmond's Square, the statue of Turiel's founding king prominently in its center, he couldn't help but feel proud for being a man of the Bronze Gaurd. The children ran around playing, the singers charmed the nobles, and the Janus Troupe rehearsed for the evening's performance of "Requiem for a Throne." This kingdom belonged to Rickard, but the people, the culture, the Tricentennial itself, were not his to claim.
   This is our city, thought Bernard. My city.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Dantztron 3030

Re: Reign of Melancholy - A Prose Fantasy Projec...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:21:01 am »
  • b e p i s
No one wants to read this? :(
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:03:59 am »
  • Pichuscute
does this go here???? not sure but its good. XD

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:46 am »
  • b e p i s
In a last-ditch attempt to gather interest, here is the second chapter. Please read :(

- 2 -

The world seemed almost to be collapsing around him, everything a blur of red, orange, and yellow floating on an ocean of grey. The ground rushed at him as he stumbled, a tidal wave, choking his lungs with dust and caking his face with black mud.
   And then, silence. He lay there breathing for a while, soaking it all in.
   The birds, the water lapping up against his raft parked on the shoreline. The wind cried sweetly through the rustling trees, caressing his hair as Lara had so many weeks ago when they first met. "My betrothed...our meeting has been a long time in coming, has it not?" Five years, in fact. Five years that mean nothing now, thought Aric. Lara had a strange demeanor; she was the definition of a lady but seemed to have little space for the formalities of royal life under her skin. And so beautiful, so, so beautiful, he remembered. Since Ragnar's arrival Lara was the last bastion of reality in a world of falsehoods.
   But Aric had left that behind in the night. This was his world now, and he had to get used to it. And staring at the ground with dirt in his eyes did nothing.
   Peeling his face off the earth, the storm of colors began to take shape into things he could recognize. The fiery hues were the leaves of trees and the ocean of grey was the sky above him, with rays of light striving for room to breathe through the thick clouds. The ground he fell on was a mixture of thick, sopping mud and leaves from the countless tall trees around him, ancient oaks and maples and elms that had stood there in the forest for ages.
   Next came his body, aching from the long journey downriver. Aric rose slowly and deliberately to get used to standing again. It had been uneventful save for the past few hours, when he could have sworn he saw a boat in the distance with his father's crimson and blue flag. Surely they wouldn't have thought of that? Aric had planned this whole thing very carefully, and was positive no one saw him sneak out via the Underdock. Besides, it was virtually unattended that time of night. Reflective of his father's newfound confidence, it seemed. Regardless of the true nature of what he saw, it meant he had to go faster. His arms ached from paddling and poling off of the riverbank to avoid crashing his amateurly assembled raft.
   He was safe now though, he assumed.
   Aric shuffled over to the raft, still slightly out of breath from his hours-long panic. The mud mixed in with the fallen leaves and clung to the soles of his boots, splotching hungrily, almost desperately trying to hold him down. In front of him was the raft, floating gently on the shallow water near the bank, exactly as he had left it. The Turion family heirloom, a chest encrusted with rubies and sapphires and plated with silver but worn by age, sat tied down to the raft. Inside Aric had packed the bare necessities; some saltbeef from the castle kitchens, a compass, some stale bread, tinder, and, most importantly, maps he had taken from the castle library. There were several sets there so as to confuse Rickard if he went looking to see what was missing.
   He unsheathed his sword. Seraphim, Rickard had christened it, a gift for his first and eldest son. Awfully fitting for a man like Father to give me a sword for my sixteenth birthday, he thought. But it was a fine piece of work, that could not be argued. A Fellforged steel blade blended effortlessly with a pommel bearing the Turiellan panther sigil that had stood as a symbol for the Turion family for three-hundred years now. Tough fires breed tough swords, Rickard had told him.
   Three-hundred years, thought Aric. With all the worry on his mind he had forgotten about the Tricentennial events today. Oddly enough, it was not his father he yearned for...rather it was little Emile and her bright smile and carefree attitude, or Rogan and the way he lovingly mimicked almost everything Aric did, and the pretend-swordfights they had together in the castle halls, dodging servants and guests as they took the battle down stairs and through corridors. Most of all though, he wanted Lara. He had only seen her twice before, but her presence was almost intoxicating. Her voice, her smell, the feel of her hands...it was like an escape from the boundaries of his life. My one regret, he thought. But one of the many things I'll have to sacrifice.
   The blade still felt awkward in his hands as he cut the rope binding the chest in one swift stroke. The impact caused the raft to stutter slightly in the water. Aric placed the chest down on the bank unceremoniously and reached down to drink and splash his face. The dirt ran off of him and formed murky clouds in the clear water of the Great River, mingling with sediment from the riverbed. The water was truly the kingdom’s lifeblood; it ran under the castle, where it was siphoned for the people; it ran through the borders, where it linked Turiel with the world; now, it cleansed and washed away the worries of Aric.
   He stood again, cleaner now, at least in the face, and felt the wind run through his hair again. Reaching down Aric rustled through the contents of the chest until he found a particular map, unfurling it to get his bearings straight.
   The kingdom’s river had led him south into a place that was not wholly unfamiliar. Most of the world was foreign to Aric because of the way Turiel was structured; a world inside a ring of mountains whose power paradoxically extended over even the highest peaks. Aric had been much further south to see Lara and visit the Diamond Coast with his father before, passing through Ashdanar.
   However Ashdanar was not as splendid as he remembered. Perhaps the season was to blame, but Aric remembered it as being lush and vibrant, alive with light and shadow and vegetation. There was light and shadow here, and plenty of trees to spare, but they lacked life and yet, at the same time, seemed completely living.
   The sentinel trees were dark and tall, but through them Aric could discern the dim silhouettes of distant mountains, mountains that were foreign to him and not as sharp and violent as the ones that bordered Turiel.
   It was still hungry, the ground, and tugged at him as he pulled the raft ashore. He doubted he would need it in the future, but he was unsure if Ashdanar and Turiel were on good terms; such was the degree of his lack of exposure to the world outside, and such was his father’s madness. Slipping Seraphim into its sheath and carrying the mud-spotted Turion chest under his arm, Aric started up the embankment and into the thickness of the trees.
   The branches of the trees crisscrossed above his head as he walked, their shadows playing with the dullness of his clothing and blending with the sunshine creeping in from the gaps in the forest ceiling. The ground was drier here, thankfully, and made the journey into the wild more controlled. For a boy who grew up in a world of stone walls and golden thrones, the earthy tones of Ashdanar’s forests were almost unsettling.
   As if to rebel against his sense of security, however, the skies began to weep. For him, for Turiel, or for Ashdanar and how it would soon be swept up in the conflict, he didn’t know. Either way, the gods and the heavens and even the earth itself would have reason to mourn.
   A cave. Aric was thankful for it being buried in the hillside in precisely this location. He still didn’t have his bearings entirely straight, and he was very averse to the steadily building rainstorm. The sound of thunder soon joined it in a massive cacophony that swallowed the former silence whole.
   He set the chest down on the smooth floor of his new shelter, and stared out into the rain. Forgetting his fears, Aric decided that sleeping out the storm was a preferable decision at the moment; he was afraid of losing his way in the rain and was wet enough already from paddling the raft all night.
   The peace was soon disrupted, however, when Aric saw a flash of green amidst the mist and the rainfall. Quick as a fox, it darted between two trees, but he caught it regardless. Clutching the chest to himself pointlessly, he waited for its return with bated breathing. Green wasn’t even part of Turiel’s sigil, but perhaps that was what was intended to confuse him…
   The rain was falling harder now, and a thin layer of mist began to form over the ground. Ever so cautiously Aric sat the chest down and peered out from the cave, struggling to see the same green flash in the blinding rain. It had disappeared, vanishing into the sea of trees and mist.
   Paranoia still running high, Aric sunk back into the cave, almost as fearful as he had been the night before, working with all his might to move the raft as fast as possible down the river. But there was no path for him to follow away from this fear, from this danger; the cave led nowhere and the outside world was filled to bursting with ambiguities and uncertainty.
   And so he stayed his ground, quivering with cold and fear. Seraphim was laying across his lap like a pet cat, and Aric even began to caress it gently, seeking desperately to relieve the tension that was coursing through his body like fire. He stopped when the blade opened his finger just enough to bring him back to reality, and he sucked on the wound like a child.
   At that moment, Aric realized he still was a child. He was almost a man according to the standards of society, but a man would never be so apprehensive, so afraid. For a moment he considered rushing out of the cave and giving himself to the wilderness or the green-cloaked figure or his father’s men, whatever got to him first…but he couldn’t. The world outside the walls of Castle Turiel was a wild and reckless place, and he would have to adapt if he wanted to save those same walls that had sheltered him for so long.
   But there were no walls here. Only the stone and the tears of the heavens beating down outside. Their rhythm lulled Aric to sleep as he sat against the wall and temporarily cast his thoughts aside as his body fell to rest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 42 queries.