Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other Makers  (Read 4405 times)

Re: Other Makers
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 01:12:00 am »
  • Minalien
You must always learn the basics before moving onto something gaming-related.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 02:07:12 am »
I've only had experience in using GM and some in RPGMaker 2000  :-[. I attempted C++ once or twice but I couldn't understand the fundamentals, no matter how 'basic' the tutorials I looked at were.

Is it easier to actually purchase a C++ book on basic game design or something? Or are there things to learn before attempting even a simple game like pacman?

I have also attempted delphi(well more looked at examples) and it seemed just as confusing to me. Not sure whether I should just stick to GM for now or not  :-\.

Start with a 'hello world'! That's the first step really in any language, get something happening. C++ is a Nuclear warhead compared to the pop gun that is GM. Unfortunately, with all that power comes the same amount of complexity. You've got to have a strong grasp of the language before you can really do anything expansive with it. GM is sort of an all-in-one kit for making things as well, that comes with functionality to do what it's intended, and nothing more. C++ is just a language. The functionality the language provides as far as drawing things on screen and the sort is nil. C++ is wonderful in that you're free to do whatever you choose... but you have to actually do it. You're responsible for getting together things for drawing, sound, math, etc. Though there are 'kits' that come with that kind of functionality out there, you can't just jump in and start using them without a reasonable command of the language first.
  • My Myspace?
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 01:34:32 am »
  • The king of Awesome
BlitzMax

'nuff said.

I agree, I love BlitzMAX. I'm slowly but surely converting from GM to Blitz, and I'm happy to have done so.

Ah what have you done with it? I'm starting off with RPG Movement, then huds ext.

I'm moving onto Blitzmax from Game maker.
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 04:34:46 am »
  • Drop down and give me 9000!
Well this is all proving as useful :).

I'm just not sure if it's worth attempting C++ if game making is only going to be a small side hobby of mine, but then again if I get good at it then I probably would want more flexibility than all game makers out there.

It'd be nice to start a 'lone wolf' project, I have tried Dev-C++ before, but I'm not sure how good it is.
I like potato.
  • My Myspace
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 46 queries.

anything