Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wtf...mind !@#$%...  (Read 1590 times)

Wtf...mind !@#$%...
« on: September 16, 2008, 04:59:40 pm »
http://www.digicc.com/fido/

What the hell?
How?
Re: Wtf...mind !@#$%...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:16:05 pm »
It's just a math trick, you could probably figure it out if you wrote all the steps down on paper and tested it with examples.  Eventually you would see a pattern that could then be made into formula or mnemonic.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:31:10 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
It's just a math trick, you could probably figure it out if you wrote all the steps down on paper and tested it with examples.  Eventually you would see a pattern that could then be made into formula or mnemonic.

Someone should do that… I nominate you.  Let me know how it works.  O:
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:32:29 pm »
It has a lot to do with their instruction not to circle zero.  By subtracting one number from another, you limit the number of valid choices that remain.  By leaving the zeroes in the number, the number is in essence already chosen, reagrdless of the final order you place the digits in.  You'll find that if you circle a zero instead, the trick will be wrong every time.

The instruction to pick numbers with different digits is also important.  Even if you pick 998, the number can be changed into 989 or 899, but if you choose 999 and then subtract 999, you're left with zero, unable to circle any number besides zero because of their instructions, and if you take out the circled number as they ask, the trick will fail.

From those restrictions, I'd imagine this proof would be very simple.

Edit: In fact, I've gone ahead and proved it.

Let's say your number is abc.  For all combinations in this form abc, there are a certain number of valid permutations for the second number.  They are acb, bac, bca, cab, and cba.  So, testing for these cases:

abc - acb = 0(b-c)(c-b)
abc - bac = (a-b)(b-a)0
abc - bca = (a-b)(b-c)(c-a)
abc - cab = (a-c)(b-a)(c-b)
abc - cba = (a-c)0(c-a)

So as you can see, all results are different from each other.  When you provide the two numbers that are left after circling the third, only one of the answers can be the correct one.  No pair of two bracketed numbers is shared between any of the valid final numbers.

I hope that makes it fairly clear.  The four-digit proof would be much the same, but longer; it would involve a number abcd, and it would take 0 into account to avoid similar groups of bracketed numbers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:52:32 pm by Nabeshin »
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:16:50 pm »
It has a lot to do with their instruction not to circle zero.  By subtracting one number from another, you limit the number of valid choices that remain.  By leaving the zeroes in the number, the number is in essence already chosen, reagrdless of the final order you place the digits in.  You'll find that if you circle a zero instead, the trick will be wrong every time.

The instruction to pick numbers with different digits is also important.  Even if you pick 998, the number can be changed into 989 or 899, but if you choose 999 and then subtract 999, you're left with zero, unable to circle any number besides zero because of their instructions, and if you take out the circled number as they ask, the trick will fail.

From those restrictions, I'd imagine this proof would be very simple.

Let's say your number is abc.  For all combinations in this form abc, there are a certain number of valid permutations for the second number.  They are acb, bac, bca, cab, and cba.  So, testing for these cases:

abc - acb = 0(b-c)(c-b)
abc - bac = (a-b)(b-a)0
abc - cba = (a-c)0(c-a)

So as you can see, all results are different from each other.  When you provide the two numbers that are left after circling the third, only one of the answers can be the correct one.  No pair of two bracketed numbers is shared between any of the valid final numbers.

I hope that makes it fairly clear.  The four-digit proof would be much the same, but longer; it would involve a number abcd, and it would take 0 into account to avoid similar groups of bracketed numbers.

Woah woah woah, slow down there. I'm 17 mate and yesterday I had finally learnt to Add and Subtract dont try any of this voodoo !@#$% on me just yet...
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I just remembered that I'm math-illiterate.  'Scuse me while I pick up the pieces of my shattered brain.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:21:14 pm »
These things don't blow my mind. I know they aren't really reading anything. By playing it I'm just a pawn in some greater math that my mind can't comprehend. But what I can comprehend is that they are not doing any mind !@#$% as long as I know they aren't magical, they are just math nerds. ::)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:24:20 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Magic is about a game, nothing more. It roughly translates to

"Hey, I can do something you can't! Let me show you! But, to make it really interesting, we're going to pretend I'm not using some simple tricks to fool you!"

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:57:14 pm »
Jesus.
That was awesome.
I still don't get how he knows what I chose.
>_<
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:51:40 am »
Jesus.
That was awesome.
I still don't get how he knows what I chose.
>_<

He's a nerd, that's all it is.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 02:16:48 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
...this was neat, but not that great. It's math.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 05:02:31 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

abc - acb = 0(b-c)(c-b)
abc - bac = (a-b)(b-a)0
abc - cba = (a-c)0(c-a)

Everybody grab your pitchforks and torches, we have a witch in our midsts! *holds up cross* Crazy witchcraft mathematics *shun shun shun shun*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.637 seconds with 61 queries.