Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Transition  (Read 2270 times)

Room Transition
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:34:49 pm »
  • Make your best move ass-bite!
Thanks for reading this, I need some sort of Zelda room transition where the room gets pushed over but also fades away as Link is leaving that room

Thanks
Re: Room Transition
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:07:34 pm »
  • Minalien
So do you plan on doing any of the development work yourself, or are you going to ask everybody to figure everything out for you?

It's a pretty simple process, and you'll gain a lot more if you learn to do it through logic with a bit of trial and error than if you ask everybody to do everything.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:22:22 am »
So do you plan on doing any of the development work yourself, or are you going to ask everybody to figure everything out for you?

It's a pretty simple process, and you'll gain a lot more if you learn to do it through logic with a bit of trial and error than if you ask everybody to do everything.

Well the truth is no one on this site rreally helps me anyway so I end up going through all the trouble doing it myself and I already did for this one... Plus this is kind of the point for this site is to help people.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:38:28 am »
  • Minalien
"the point for this site is to help people."
My ass. This site hasn't been about fan game development in years, in spite of the name and the barely-active boards for it. Even when fan games were abundant here (granted, 9/10 sucked), at least the site was about game development.

Look, in spite of me being a complete !@#$% (which is just my nature), I'm serious about learning the !@#$% on your own. You're never going to get anywhere if you have to ask everybody how to make every aspect of your game. Why are you developing a Zelda fan game if you can't do the basics of game development using such a simple tool as Game Maker? Work on some simpler projects, first :/
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

CrimsonDemise

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:33:17 am »
Unfortunately Miyako is correct. From experience if you ask for help with some of the simpler aspects of a program, you will find that you will encounter many more problems and will end up scrapping the project and trying something else.

Try something simple first that helps you develop a general understanding of all aspects of the program and get your programming skill to a better level.

In terms of the question you asked, generally from what I saw back in the day was that you made the room for the gamemaker game very large, and then you programmably say how large a room would be. From there you can check if the character hits the boundary, and if they do, pan the camera forward and move the character back with it.

There are numerous different ways to do it. There were also implementations where people used objects for collisions, which is easier at first, but a pain to maintain. In terms of fading, I haven't used game maker in years, but there is some gamma scripts in there I believe.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:50:15 pm »
Sorry I'm not a 35 year old adult that knows how to program well, I just asked for help you didn't have to even reply to this forum. Now I don't now if your trying to insult me or not, but frankly no one cares if I ask a few questions here or there. besides this is the first time i have been on in a couple of months.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:05 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
The way I typically set up room transitions is a little more lengthy than any way anybody's going to tell you; but-

I basically have one base room, and I write a controller script that manages a grid of rooms, my room position, and which rooms to load.

Every time I walk to the edge of a room, it loads the rooms needed, and pans my view over to it. From there it resets all object positions to their appropriate spots.

It's more confusing than I care to explain, but yeah.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:18 pm »
wtf is wrong with people on this forum.
He just asked for help, not to get anybody do the whole game for him.
He did't know that it was that hard to make it or something ? He just asked for help.
If I did know how to do it, I would be happy to share it to other people so they could learn faster.
I don't think he's going to learn faster by trying himself, if someone could just point him in the right direction like Mamoruanime did it had been much nicer then just complaining XD

I think this forum has much to learn from other forums(unity3d's forum is a great example)
I has 2 post on this forum and I haven't get much help here. But I have the same posts in another forum and the guys are very friendly and nice. I get 100* more help there .......

But to much !@#$%, this is a good forum 2 and there are also many good people her.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 12:19:13 am »
  • Minalien
He did't know that it was that hard to make it or something ? He just asked for help.
If I did know how to do it, I would be happy to share it to other people so they could learn faster.
I don't think he's going to learn faster by trying himself, if someone could just point him in the right direction like Mamoruanime did it had been much nicer then just complaining XD

I think this forum has much to learn from other forums(unity3d's forum is a great example)
I has 2 post on this forum and I haven't get much help here. But I have the same posts in another forum and the guys are very friendly and nice. I get 100* more help there .......

But to much !@#$%, this is a good forum 2 and there are also many good people her.
Try using better grammar, spelling, and not using IM shorthand. It makes you look less retarded, and makes it more likely that people will care what you have to say.

My messages were geared toward showing him that he's better off working on smaller projects first because, thus far, each question he's asked has been about a trivial task.
 This is an official warning not just for this post but for many of your recent ones. While truth is important, so is showing respect to others; not flaming or trolling them. If the clearly negative trend in your posting continues, you'll progress yourself straight to a ban. If you have questions about this, feel free to send 4Sword a PM.

• Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11:05 am »
The way I typically set up room transitions is a little more lengthy than any way anybody's going to tell you; but-

I basically have one base room, and I write a controller script that manages a grid of rooms, my room position, and which rooms to load.

Every time I walk to the edge of a room, it loads the rooms needed, and pans my view over to it. From there it resets all object positions to their appropriate spots.

It's more confusing than I care to explain, but yeah.
I appreciate your effort to help me. That guy that scolded me for asking for codes was right, I mean I guess anything is possible to script in GML, But I actually pulled it off and scripted this, yay! Thanks to all that tried to help, and I guess that would include Miyako but I wasent really asking for a direct engine.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 05:52:49 pm »
He didn't know that it was that hard to make it or something ? He just asked for help.

Try using better grammar, spelling, and not using IM shorthand. It makes you look less retarded, and makes it more likely that people will care what you have to say.

My messages were geared toward showing him that he's better off working on smaller projects first because, thus far, each question he's asked has been about a trivial task.
 This is an official warning not just for this post but for many of your recent ones. While truth is important, so is showing respect to others; not flaming or trolling them. If the clearly negative trend in your posting continues, you'll progress yourself straight to a ban. If you have questions about this, feel free to send 4Sword a PM.

what ? do you think my recent post's are negative ? I have 2 other post's and what's wrong with them ? like this one: http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=35288.0
I just asked if someone is interested in helping me ...

"the point for this site is to help people."
My ass. This site hasn't been about fan game development in years, in spite of the name and the barely-active boards for it. Even when fan games were abundant here (granted, 9/10 sucked), at least the site was about game development.

Look, in spite of me being a complete !@#$% (which is just my nature), I'm serious about learning the !@#$% on your own. You're never going to get anywhere if you have to ask everybody how to make every aspect of your game. Why are you developing a Zelda fan game if you can't do the basics of game development using such a simple tool as Game Maker? Work on some simpler projects, first :/
Don't you think that comment was negative ? So people in this forum are not allowed to ask for help ?
And if you think my grammar sucks, then just don't post a comment back.
you know that you didn't need to look at this post in the first place ?
And sorry, if my post are negative(I don't know of a better way to say things)

And for the 2nd time, I'm not from a English speaking country so my English sucks (sorry for my bad English)

ps. could you point out some of the bad English, cuss the spell checking program can't  XD

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 08:07:16 pm »
  • Xiphirx
spmedia, that warning was for Minalien (Miyako-chan) not you.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 08:31:06 pm »
spmedia, that warning was for Minalien (Miyako-chan) not you.

ops, sorry  XD

but the other half of my post still counts  :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:33:03 pm by spmedia »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 60 queries.