Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bongo Bongo  (Read 4769 times)

Mirby

Drifter
Re: Bongo Bongo
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I see.... well it wouldn't really be Volvagia without flying. After all, that was part of the challenge in fighting him. Waiting for him to come within range of the Megaton Hammer, dodging his attacks when he was flying...

At least, that's how I see it.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 08:56:24 pm »
In the OoT boss fight, you never interact with him while he's flying (aside from shooting arrows, which could really be left out without much loss to gameplay). So what you can do is this:

1) Have him fly up and off-screen.
2) Draw a shadow of it flying overhead. The shadow would move around the arena, chasing Link a bit as in OoT.
3) To have the fire-breathing portion, have a jet of flame come from off-screen in the upwards direction, hitting the ground overtop of the part of the shadow corresponding to its head.
4) Have rocks fall around the arena while this is going on.
5) The head shadow eventually finds its way to a hole, and Volvagia descends from overtop of the head shadow, entering the hole. As it enters, the corresponding parts of the body and shadow disappear as they reach the hole, the shadow moving steadily along the shadow path until nothing is left.

And then the rest proceeds as normal, with Volvagia popping out of another hole, etcetera.

Because its body is so snakelike, you could get away with just four shadow sprites - head, body, tail, and a corner-shaped body sprite for when it turns in mid-flight. And since shadows are just one colour, this wouldn't be very hard.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 09:09:11 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
That makes perfect sense, Nabeshin! Great ideas! when will there be a Zelda Future update?

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:56 pm »
*Hugs Nabeshin!* You've got a double choc cookie!!!
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 02:54:20 pm »
is this going to be continued? it is really cool

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 04:49:54 pm »
Well bongo bongo is done, volvagia is waiting for crits. Im working on uni work as well so most things are on hold
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »
I think it could be a bit thicker, the width of a tile at least, and the head should be larger. With GB style, you can afford to be a bit silly with the proportions - the fights are all about fun in GB, and the player won't be having fun if they're trying to hit something too small. And for that matter, I think all the bosses could be made larger, even Ganondorf.

Check out LttP as well for boss size inspiration, since GB is in many ways a shrunken version of LttP.

tl;dr: bosses should always be noticeably bigger than Link.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »
I think it could be a bit thicker, the width of a tile at least, and the head should be larger. With GB style, you can afford to be a bit silly with the proportions - the fights are all about fun in GB, and the player won't be having fun if they're trying to hit something too small. And for that matter, I think all the bosses could be made larger, even Ganondorf.

Check out LttP as well for boss size inspiration, since GB is in many ways a shrunken version of LttP.

tl;dr: bosses should always be noticeably bigger than Link.
First off, which one are you talking about? Secondly, didn't know you could be silly about proportions. Thirdly, Ganondorf stays the same. Look at Veran. She was only a couple of pixels bigger than Link. Fourthly, I agree about making the battles fun. Finally, I was trying to keep the game in proportion. Even Rodri. And yes that does mean he's a sort of giant. Speaking of him, I fully sprited his corrupt form a few weeks ago.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 08:08:54 pm »
First off, which one are you talking about?
Volvagia.
Secondly, didn't know you could be silly about proportions.
A bit cartoony, I mean. Volvagia might be the right size proportionally, but the boss battle wouldn't be very fun with it at that size. The player needs something to look at, and something to hit, too. Look at Aquamentus from OoS and Pumpkin Head from OoA for an idea of what I mean. Or look at the Pokemon sprites from RBY compared to now, which are all great examples of throwing proportion out the window. Don't be afraid to make some bosses look a little silly, I guess is my point.
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »
these are really good? Are you going to do beast ganon or barinade? Ghoma perhaps?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.718 seconds with 58 queries.

anything