Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serparation from Church and State  (Read 8268 times)

Re: Serparation from Church and State
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2006, 11:53:43 pm »
Feel free to. Much of it is irrelevant these days.

I mean, if the constitution was so important, why are there so many amendments to it?
Because our country was founded on it.  The ammendments are there to fix issues, because things change with time, and sometimes equality isn't written in the constitution.  It just needs patching up.  Not burning.

Wouldn't it be easier to re-write the whole thing and start from scratch every hundred years or so?
Conspiracy Theory. [Limey Edit:  More content please?]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:07:23 am by -=Limey=- »
  • Google Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2006, 12:21:03 am »
  • Huzzowee!
Wouldn't it be easier to re-write the whole thing and start from scratch every hundred years or so?
No, considering that would necessitate the rewriting of a large portion of the legal system.
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2006, 04:24:01 am »

I mean, if the constitution was so important, why are there so many amendments to it?
Because our country was founded on it.  The ammendments are there to fix issues, because things change with time, and sometimes equality isn't written in the constitution.  It just needs patching up.  Not burning.

Why fix what's not broken?
  • Google Profile

Pyru

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2006, 11:16:13 am »
No, considering that would necessitate the rewriting of a large portion of the legal system.

Not really. All you do is take the bits of the original constitution and each succeeding amendment that are still relevant, and scrap the rest.

All that happens if you don't is that you either: a) get a load of backward laws enforced that have no purpose or b) a load of laws that exist that no-one pays attention to.

I'm not saying it needs to be done over a short time span, but every 100 years or so does seem like a good amount of time for it.

Why fix what's not broken?

Who says it's not broken?

There's plenty of stuff in your constitution and various amendments that are no longer relevant.

E.g. the right to carry firearms.

tippz

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2006, 03:15:29 pm »
how is the second amendment irrevelant? It is one of the biggest issues today. And really, how can you even say that the constitution is broken and outdated? It has been, is, and will continue to be one of if not the best model for a budding democracy trying to set of a government. If you actually look at the constitution itself, it just sets up the government. It doesn't make laws. It just makes 3 branches of government and gives a basic outline of what they can and can't do. Amendments can be changed at any time through congressional action, so really, what is the problem with them? Amendments have been taken out before and if congress feels that there are a bunch of useless amendments then they can take them out. Not really a big deal... In fact, that is why a system to amend the constitution was implemented, so it would be able to survive and adapt to changes in the world.

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2006, 03:56:32 pm »
  • Huzzowee!
There's plenty of stuff in your constitution and various amendments that are no longer relevant.

Considering the fact that a lot of Americans still want their guns, I'd say it is still a relevant amendment, no?
"They say 'Don't sweat the little things!', but in the end, the little things are all that matter..."
--Alex2539

2awesome4apossum

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2006, 07:56:05 pm »

Considering the fact that a lot of Americans still want their guns, I'd say it is still a relevant amendment, no?
Defintely.  I certainly would hate it if we starting imposing strict gun control laws.  Bush already banned semi-automatic weapons... I think that we just need laws on those who have poor mental health carrying weapons.  I don't see a need to abolish one of our oldest, most basic rights!
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2006, 04:32:45 am »
  • Huzzowee!
Bush already banned semi-automatic weapons...
With that, I'd say it's about time. Things have gotten a wee bit out of hand. Anything more than just a pistol seems excessive for "personal safety" to me.

And with that, I have strayed this topic about enough. Shall we all get back on track? (If someone wants to continue the gun discussion, feel free to make a new thread)
--Alex2539

Pyru

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2006, 10:19:33 am »

No, I think the fact that they want to carry guns makes it a very irrelevant amendment, considering the number of firearm related incidents.

In the same way that people wanting to take drugs, develop pathogens or develop nuclear weapons in no way makes any laws allowing them to do those things relevant.
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 05:53:32 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
No, I think the fact that they want to carry guns makes it a very irrelevant amendment, considering the number of firearm related incidents.
Seriously.  I mean 250,000 times a year, guns are POINTED (not even used) in self-defense.  It's irrelevent that we'd even debate taking away someone's right to defend themselves.

Pyru, you seem to be a big fan of "choice", no?

Pyru

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2006, 06:26:11 pm »
Seriously.  I mean 250,000 times a year, guns are POINTED (not even used) in self-defense.  It's irrelevent that we'd even debate taking away someone's right to defend themselves.

Pyru, you seem to be a big fan of "choice", no?

But not the choice to kill whoever you like. That's all guns really do when you shoot them at someone: kill or injure.

And if you point it in self-defence, you're threatening to kill someone.

Firearms aren't abudant over here, but we don't have a high rate of problems caused by people being unable to "defend themselves" with firearms.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2006, 01:59:28 am »
For example the 'under god' thing.  If it is removed, it doesnt prevent you from practicing your religion at all, it just makes it optional for everybody.  Therefor, its more freedom for the people who aren't religous, but you still keep your right to pray.
It's ALREADY optional for everybody.  Why do they have to remove it to take away OUR option?  They don't have to say "under God", if such a humble phrase offends their superiority complex.
If it was removed, you can still say it. Same argument either way. I don't think it matters other than the reason it was added (those damn godless commies).
You can't make up new parts to the pledge. 

Ironic, considering that "under god" was added in 1954.
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2006, 02:52:55 am »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Ironic, considering that "under god" was added in 1954.
Pretty late considering I posted that at the beginning of May, no?

Anyway, you're taking it out of context, for those of you too lazy to search for the page (took me a while to find it myself :P) my full comment was located at: http://www.zfgc.com/index.php/topic,1939.msg27063.html#msg27063
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 63 queries.