Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unamed Fan-game Overworld Concept 1  (Read 1710 times)

Unamed Fan-game Overworld Concept 1
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:50:49 am »
Figured I could use some C&C.  Please note that there are some tile errors.  I am aware of them.  This overworld is something that I have been touching off and on since the character competition was started.  My entry eventually turned into a single-spaced 6 page fan-fiction.  I started this overworld idea back then.  I needed a break from 0 Engine to clear my head from some mathematics so I decided to finish this overworld.

Now, for some info on how this overworld works:
The letters are the transition locations.  However, unlike LttP with its transition locations,  my overworld is designed more for a AoL approach.  Say you want to go to A to get into the forest.  Well, you are going to have to go through a small battle area first(with possible cutscenes) then you will end up at the other A.

The transition areas are not done yet.

The overworld was designed with a focus more on openness in a confined way.  There are only three main dungeons.  The focus is on rpg system (like AoL) than puzzle-solving like the overhead Zeldas are usually known to be.

The overworld would have quite a bit of enemies to deal with as an invasion is looming on the player the entire game.  You cannot leave to the south due to the invasion.

The area to the bottom right may or may not end up with a desert themed area for optional content.  I really do not know if I want to add that or not.

Anyway, the view size would be a SNES standard 256 x 224 with a hud similar to LttP mixed with some AoL(updated to 16-bit).  If it looks like an area is missing tiles, it probably is not.  The view would never go there, so the player would never see the cut-off of tiles.  The view engine would be built on scripts to have different scrolling and following code based on what zone you are in, so you would not see the weird cut-offs of like the mountains right next to the castle and such.

Well, I don't know what else to add except thanks if you gave some suggestions :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:45:08 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Koh

Re: Unamed Fan-game Overworld Concept 1
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:21:54 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
I know it's probably to be a small game, but the map looks too bland, perfectly shaped, and there are plenty of tile errors about.  I'm sure you probably wouldn't be able to see some of those cutoffs, but they still don't look nice.  My suggestion would be to make a more detailed map (you don't have to add detail to the graphics themselves, just making the map look less empty) and shape out the areas better.  Make the mountains look more jagged; add more bushes/tallgrass/random trees/etc., random puddles of water, etc. 
  • Megaclipse Games
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 38 queries.