Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wii: Virtual console information  (Read 1174 times)

Wii: Virtual console information
« on: November 04, 2006, 01:52:55 am »
for those of you that live in a cardboard box, heres some info on the Wii's VC games...
Quote from: computerandvideogames.com
Can games be stored on external media such as SD cards, and what happens if you run out of storage space?

Nintendo: Games that are downloaded can be stored either to the Wii's internal memory (512MB) or onto SD cards, which plug into the SD slot on the front of the Wii. In addition the console also stores a history of all of your downloads so that if you have to delete any VC games for any reason you could re-download them for free at a later date.[/b]

Will you be able to take your VC games to a mate's house, say, on an SD card?

Nintendo: No. All VC games will be locked to the console they are downloaded on so even if they are on an SD card they can't be used on other machines. You will have to take your Wii with you.

Does that mean that if your console breaks you lose your VC games forever?

Nintendo: No. Nintendo will offer support to help Wii owners with problems to recover their games.

GameCube games are played with GameCube pads. Can they be played with the Classic controller too, for those who don't actually have any GC pads?

Nintendo: Nintendo GameCube games can only be played using Nintendo GameCube controllers. The Classic Controller will not work on these games.

Can you specify which controllers it will be possible to use for each of the VC games types (NES, SNES, PC Engine, N64)?

Nintendo: All virtual console games can be played using the Classic Controller or Nintendo GameCube pads. The Wii Remote can also be turned on its side and used as a traditional controller to play NES games. However, a game will only be playable with the control mechanism it was designed for. So, for example, you will play NES games with the D-pad, not an analogue stick or motion-sensitive functionality.

When using a mixture of Wii and GameCube controllers, the Wii Remote or Classic Controller will take priority. So if you have two Classic Controllers plugged in they instantly become player one and two regardless of how many GameCube pads are inserted.

What about game manuals?

Nintendo: Each Virtual Console game downloaded will come with a digital instruction manual.

We are already aware that you won't be able to gain access to the Japanese or American VC in UK with a UK console. But if you import a US or Japanese Wii into UK, will that machine be capable of accessing the UK VC servers to download and play games made available to us Brits?

Nintendo: No. The European Virtual Console will be available only to European machines. If you import an American machine they would have to connect to the American service and use American Wii Points cards to buy content. Their warranty would also be void so this is not recommended.

Will there be a range of Wii Points cards available? How much will they cost?

Nintendo: At first, only 2000-point cards will be available. These will retail for ??14.99.

Will you be able to buy VC Points via the internet through Wii using a credit card, like you can with Xbox 360's Marketplace?

Nintendo: Yes. Wii points can also be bought online via the Wii Shop using all major credit cards and will be credited to your account. A total of 10,000 points can be stored on your Wii account at any one time.

Sucks that you cant take the games to ur friends house via SD card... sucks for importers too ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:57:41 am by DugOLas »
Re: Wii: Virtual console information
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 02:01:25 am »
Looks fine to me, I see no down turns there at all. Lugging around a Wii, wont be that hard if you want to bring your games along with you. Nintendo has done this to prevent illegal sales of their VC games on say ebay, or other types of systems. Its a smart move in terms of marketing. I also like the fact once you download a game, even if you loose it, you'll still be able to download it again for free, that is also awesome.

VC is going to be an amazing tool, and I think I look forward to that just as much as I do the Wii itself.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 02:06:23 am »
same here, thats why im putting down the extra $39.99 for 2000 VC points and a retro controller on launch day ^---^
(1 point= $0.01, Retro controller= $19.99)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 02:08:07 am by DugOLas »
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 02:09:49 am »
Unfortunatelly I won't be getting the Wii on launch. Thats fine with me though, I suppose. I'll most likely have to have someone ship it to me, or  have a local store order it for me. It really all just depends..
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 02:46:17 am »
I have a question will all VC games work with GCN controllers(what is a GC pad?) or do you have to play with a Wiimote or a retro controller? Cuz I don't want to buy a retro one and thurning the Wiimote sideways looks uncomfortable. Also
However, a game will only be playable with the control mechanism it was designed for. So, for example, you will play NES games with the D-pad, not an analogue stick or motion-sensitive functionality.
I get the motion sensor thing but on ZCE you could play LoZ or AoL with a joystick, why not now?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:54:46 am »
Sucks that you cant take the games to ur friends house via SD card... sucks for importers too ;)
I have a feeling someone will fix that ;p

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 10:36:42 am »
SD-card? I got an xD-card, I doubt I can use that, huh...

And 512mb isn't much space in my opinion. O_o

But everything else sounds good to me...
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 04:28:58 pm »
Well you have to remember these are oldies.

I was just reading my NP and each retro game is it's own channel, so it is pretty much when you run out of channels.

I wonder if you have to buy a memory card(like for the gcn) to save games, or if it has seperate internal memry for Wii games too.

Also Nintendo seems to be taking huge procautions so you don't waste money.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 03:33:51 am »
  • w00t
SD-card? I got an xD-card, I doubt I can use that, huh...

And 512mb isn't much space in my opinion. O_o

But everything else sounds good to me...

Depends on the system.  You could fit quite a lot of NES games on there, as almost every single one is below 1 MB in size, and most are below 400 kb.  SNES games can be up to 6 MB in size, while N64 games can be considerably larger.  See http://web.mac.com/stewart.lawrence/iWeb/wii/VC%20Stuff.html for some more statistics.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 71 queries.