Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Yes
- 16 (37.2%)
No
- 27 (62.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Should posts count in Spam?  (Read 9552 times)

Re: Should posts count in Spam?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 09:44:41 pm »
  • The hero of Link
it would be nice if they would, but I don't care
  • A.D. Zelda
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 10:20:27 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Perhaps the post count should just be taken away all togethor? There are some forums that have done that in the past from what I can remember. That way, power is only determined by ranking (mod, admin, etc).

^Just a suggestion.

I don't think we should do that, that's no fair. I mean... it's fun counting posts... The thing that's good about this forum, it is purposely directs you to the area, not the topic where you last posted, so it doesn't show your post count after. I havin't checked my post count in a couple of days now... it's just a little fun thing to have.

thenoblesheep

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 12:42:36 am »
It has always been my ideology that publicly displaying the post count encourages spam. I mean, look at this forum, low content posts are abundant. Many of these low-content posts are conceived only to increase the user's post count and not to convey a meaningful message. Removing the incentive for spam would be beneficial to all. Some people, with high post counts may object, but I sincrely believe that the forum's integrity would benefit.
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 12:44:40 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
It has always been my ideology that publicly displaying the post count encourages spam. I mean, look at this forum, low content posts are abundant. Many of these low-content posts are conceived only to increase the user's post count and not to convey a meaningful message. Removing the incentive for spam would be beneficial to all. Some people, with high post counts may object, but I sincrely believe that the forum's integrity would benefit.
Well, you don't need such drastic measures. Just say, "Spam in this section=A Ban from this section"
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 12:51:11 am »
Well, you don't need such drastic measures. Just say, "Spam in this section=A Ban from this section"

I agree with you, it could work, I think.
"May the innovation be with you."

www.guffa.smf4free.com

bran371

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 12:53:25 am »
We had post counts removed before, and people just updated their Custom Titles to show a rounded number of posts...
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 06:21:20 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
We had post counts removed before, and people just updated their Custom Titles to show a rounded number of posts...
Hmm... that would be so hard to keep track of though  :-\
And it would have the same concept. I say we go with me and luigi's idea. xD
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 08:45:41 pm »
We could remove the post counts to be only viewable in the profiles.

Lunar

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 12:27:04 am »
NO.

<__< That really pissed me off when they did that last time.

bran371

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 12:31:55 am »
Why? Who cares how many posts you've made anyway?

Well, we could do what the LD forums do and just remove viewable post counts, but still have the user titles that update when you get a certain number of posts. That way higher post count people still get recognition, but they don't seem so much higher. I know I'd certainly feel more small by seeing that I'm 3000 behind people than if I saw that they had a different title or whatever... At the LD forums this is represented by a word from WD that changes to the next word every 5 posts until the end, when it changes to colours from OTC. We could do the same but with Zelda-themed things or something.

Dunno, just brainstorming some ideas. Doesn't really matter to me what happens.

Lunar

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2006, 12:35:50 am »
How about just have Post Count turn-off-able.. :P If you don't want to see it you can turn it off.

bran371

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2006, 01:33:06 am »
As long as it's off by default for the newbies.

It's not like any of this will happen anyway since we have basically no tech support... (I mean big things of the likes that Kirby did)
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 03:50:00 am »
Why does it matter? If post counts don't matter to you, why turn them "off" when you can just ignore them? o_O

Pyru

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2006, 12:30:12 pm »
Even though post counts don't matter to a lot of people, and their purpose is not "bragging rights", many people will still be tempted by the possibility of using them as such, and may do.

Spam is just for fun, really. What goes in spam stays in spam. Maybe that should become a spam motto/rule, huh?

bran371

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2006, 08:21:49 pm »
Why does it matter? If post counts don't matter to you, why turn them "off" when you can just ignore them? o_O
That won't cause the people who love high post counts to stop spamming.

Naz

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2006, 03:32:12 am »
  • Ph34r the toast.
No.  'Nuff said. ^_^
Don't read this.
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 10:07:08 pm »
Well, since everybody including most of the people who said no in this topic claim that post counts don't matter one bit. I don't really care, nor do I see a problem with post counts in the spam section.

Seeing as how htey are only post counts and not something important. Whats the difference. If I post "boob" in the spam section. It was still a psot was it not? I think your post count hsould go up for every post you make within the forum. Since it has absolutly no status symbol or reference to the person. If they have 20 posts or 5000 posts. They have posted that many times. Regardless of what section it was in. Thats how many posts they have made. Regardless of how spammy their posts are. That is how many times they have posted is it not?

Seeing as how they are simply post counts. I see no reason to remove post counts from the spam section. If so. You might aswell remove them completly from all of the sections.

And no I'm not saying this so I can spam and raise my post count. Even in the spam section I don't post unless I truly have something to say. I just wanted to make a point that was in my head about the whole thing.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 06:22:49 am »
  • The Broken King
People who voted no's opinion are just as valid as people who voted yesYou can't try to rationalise their votes to NULL's. There are more no votes than yes; it shouldn't change.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 09:25:45 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
True, I honestly don't care... it doesn't matter too much to me. I don't check my post count... maybe ever 100 or so... but, It's just a little side thing that can get you excited if your on the top ten or whatever.
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 01:25:09 pm »
  • The hero of Link
The people voted no, someone lock this.
  • A.D. Zelda
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 76 queries.