Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: <John> My mother died yesterday... <Wendy> I'm so sorry! <Hyrule_boy> WTF?!...  (Read 6143 times)

Re: <John> My mother died yesterday... <Wendy> I...
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 02:53:25 am »
Narcisism is more loving yourself. At least it should be when you take the word from the Greek myth.
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 03:05:03 am »
HB, you give germans a really damn name.
Like, really bad.
they have already screwed themselves over >_>
I don't mean killing the Jews

stfu D:
I am German.
UR HURT MI FIILINHGZ

.TakaM was here.
so my friend stole a giant bag of ketchup out of the ketchup pumping things and brought it to our table and we took it in the bathroom and i smashed it over the sink and kicked it around the bathroom and smeared it everywhere and we all took turns kicking the ketchup out of it and when we were done it looked like an african village was murdered in the bathroom
XFD.
  • Awesome Land
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 04:15:08 am »
  • ..Goodbye..
This topic sucks and is now about the stupidity of a goth wannabe...oh shi-wait. >____>

Like, really bad.

Hell, he even gives GOTHS a bad name...not that their name isn't already bad. >_>
Helios did it.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 04:39:46 am »
  • علي
Like, really bad.
they have already screwed themselves over >_>
I don't mean killing the Jews

stfu D:
I am German.
UR HURT MI FIILINHGZ
Not you just HB

This topic sucks and is now about the stupidity of a goth wannabe...oh shi-wait. >____>

Like, really bad.

Hell, he even gives GOTHS a bad name...not that their name isn't already bad. >_>

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
علي
  • alirazaq.com
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 06:00:16 am »
It's polite to say "I'm sorry" for many reasons. Regret for bringing it up, sympathy, whatever.

Do not generalise it to Americans. We all do it.
the a o d c
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 09:04:14 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I lack empathy to a serious degree, so I'll just go "oh" and walk away. Then again, the word 'sorry' doesn't exist in my vocabulary. It's a pointless word I have not once ever said with any meaning or emotion other than hate and disgust.
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:16 am »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
Well, several people in this topic will need to get their facts straight. First of all, I think Hyruleboy is Dutch.. not German. That picture of "jews" is therefore totally off-topic (not as if it was on-topic in the first place). A picture of a goth would have been more appropriate. The Germans hate the Jews, we Dutch hate the goths.. Let's just say we all have our hatin' habits :)

Furthermore, I'm wondering what kind of slime has been filling your head, which caused you to be unable to pay attention to English class in the first damn grade. The huge amount of "sorries" Englishspeaking people use is indeed different from many other languages. I really wonder what made you think that only Americans say sorry so often.. this habit is common practice in any Englishspeaking community.

That should also shed some light on why they do it, if your brain wasn't just a few decilitres of slime. Everyone says sorry because it is standard procedure. It's the way they've been raised. Speaking a language is nothing more than copying the speaking habits of those around you.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 11:27:43 am »
Like, really bad.
Me a german? Hell no! I prefer to die then to be a german. Also if you would have weared those damn glasses your mother gave you. Then you could've known that I'm dutch.
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 11:29:41 am »
  • Fendez Coder
Yes the English "sorry" does have many meanings, in other languages there are more than 1 word for sorry, each with a different connotation. ie French, Excusez-moi, or Pardon, or Désolé, or in German, Entschuldigen, or Wie bitte, or Erbärmlich, or in Swedish, Ursäkta, or Förlåt. I don't know Dutch so I can't really cite that as an example...

but in English, all those words can be summed up in the single word of "sorry". So there we have it. Sorry, HB. You know what for.

edit:
Me a german? Hell no! I prefer to die then to be a german. Also if you would have weared those damn glasses your mother gave you. Then you could've known that I'm dutch.

That's a bit harsh. I quite like the Germans myself, very friendly people...

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 12:18:14 pm »
When I think about it us Dutch don't say much when we hear someone say that.
We certainly never say 'I'm sorry' but sometimes 'My condolences' but that even sounds too formal and is usually only said when the death was recent.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 05:53:19 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
Me a german? Hell no! I prefer to die then to be a german.
I hope to some sort of god that you're kidding.. If you are: that wasn't funny. If you are not: that wasn't funny and you should burn for all eternity.

Also if you would have weared those damn glasses your mother gave you. Then you could've known that I'm dutch.
Secondly, your awful grasp of English grammar is just more evidence that you really haven't paid any attention during English classes. Seriously man, stop making such a fool out of yourself dude, you're embarrassing my country. You really don't have to freak out when people can't tell you're dutch. Quite frankly, the only thing they'd see when people wear a pair of glasses and look at you is not someone who is 'obviously Dutch', but an obese boy with black clothes and a dog collar.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 06:07:39 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
neo wins.

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

mit

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 06:19:51 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
As well as many other meanings, if the death was a while ago, you could say "Sorry for reminding you of their death" or similar.

But the main point is that talking is more dependant on how you say it rather than what you say. And if you say "I'm sorry" in a way that means "my condolences" then soon, saying "I'm sorry" after someone announces a death will mean "my condolences" anyway - and so it becomes correct to say, even if it doesn't litterally make sense.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 06:28:29 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Aspergers, a light form of Autism.

1. Qualitative impairment in social interaction;
   2. The presence of restricted, repetitive and stereotyped behaviors and interests;
   3. Significant impairment in important areas of functioning;
   4. No significant delay in language;
   5. During the first three years of life, there can be no clinically significant delay in cognitive development such as curiosity about the existing environment or the acquisition of age appropriate learning skills, self-help skills, or adaptive behaviors (other than social interaction); and,
   6. The symptoms must not be better accounted for by another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia.

I've bolded what matches Hyrule_Boy from what we've seen, and I've italiced what we couldn't possibly know XD Show some pitty, he's a spaz...

You know, I actually fit into this pretty damn well as well...crap...in fact my mates (a few of them) suspect I have this...meh.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 06:43:29 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »
In before the lock. :D As soon as H_B replies to Neo this topic will be damned. Also I being American think that saying "Im sorry," When someone dies is normal because like others said, Empathy, Sympathy.

(I agree with Neo about H_B but this topic is not about him so I must put it in () things)

Also about Germans; H_B grow up. Even if they did "start" WW1 & 2 and killed a bunch of jews (it rhymes!). Not all Germans did those things.
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 07:26:10 pm »
Why do you most of you Americans say "I'm sorry" if somebody else tells you that an relative of him died?
It makes no !@#$% sense to me at all... You say sorry if you did something and you regret it so how does this connect to the dead of anyone?  :-X

Appears I read this message different then most of you do, I just see someone trying to understand the english speaking people. (which he calls amaricans to keep it easy) You might or might not realise it, but there is a lot more differences between the dutch and english speaking the the language. As far as I can see the 2 groups also appear to have very different thought patterns.

I now have read multiple topics about H_B, and yes, he does act different then you are used from most people, but ever thought about it that the dutch are more direct then the english speaking?
(meaning that dutch people will sooner say what they think then you all do)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:32:06 pm by Atomicd1 »
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 07:43:46 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
You might or might not realise it, but there is a lot more differences between the dutch and english speaking the the language. As far as I can see the 2 groups also appear to have very different thought patterns.
Any sources to back that up? Otherwise we might as well label that 'urban legend' and dismiss it

I now have read multiple topics about H_B, and yes, he does act different then you are used from most people, but ever thought about it that the dutch are more direct then the english speaking?
In case you didn't know, I'm also a native Dutchman. Now.. would you say that my topics are different from what "you are used to"? Generalizing an entire country because of the comments made by one person is just... non-sensical.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 07:53:11 pm »
You might or might not realise it, but there is a lot more differences between the dutch and english speaking the the language. As far as I can see the 2 groups also appear to have very different thought patterns.
Any sources to back that up? Otherwise we might as well label that 'urban legend' and dismiss it

In case you didn't know, I'm also a native Dutchman. Now.. would you say that my topics are different from what "you are used to"? Generalizing an entire country because of the comments made by one person is just... non-sensical.

Neo, I indeed know that and have known that since a very long time ago. Even from before you were a mod (on I believe the zfgc before this one, or was it on the forum before that?). Afterall, I have been around from the moment the 2nd oot2d demo was released.

And yes, you do act different then others out here, you never noticed your increased amount of messages compared with many others, of which a lot of 'direct' replies. Its something very typical for the dutch.

And next time you make such a 'good' reply, check some things. You would have seen that I'm also from the netherlands.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:09:24 pm by Atomicd1 »
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2007, 08:12:07 pm »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
Every culture, and we dutch indeed have a very different one then the english has its own way of thinking resulting in different thought patterns.
Yes, indeed. Culture is the key to this issue. The question is, though, how much today's culture influences the Dutch, causing them to show a significant change in personality. I can't answer that question all by myself, nor can you. Reaching a conclusion on that subject requires an extensive psychological research conducted by professionals. Any 'homecooked' conclusions based on a few examples here and there are not representative.

And next time you make such a 'good' reply, check some things. You would have seen that I'm also from the netherlands.
Yes, before I wrote the post I was aware of your nationality. You were claiming Dutch people had their own posting style, for which I really couldn't see any proof beyond the trash Hyruleboy leaves behind on these forums.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2007, 08:22:27 pm »
  • ..Goodbye..
In before the !@#$%...er...lock. :D
Helios did it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.582 seconds with 76 queries.

anything