Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Implementing a word count...  (Read 2794 times)

Implementing a word count...
« on: August 05, 2007, 08:10:11 pm »
It seems to me that having an overall word count instead of post count might deter some members from making numerous useless posts and at the same time encourage more content.  I'm not sure what the best way to do something like this would be though. 

If it were strictly a word count the displayed "count" would be very long for many members.  Maybe a sentence count, or maybe just every ten words converting to one "point"?  Or you could possibly award a rupee each time a member posts a set amount of words.

I don't know what the best way to do it would be, and maybe it wouldn't work at all...It's just an idea that I felt I should post.  Any ideas?
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
Re: Implementing a word count...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:13:09 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
I think this is an extremely good idea and should be implemented. I don't think a word count would work because I would have over a million (lol).

But yah, I think we could have like every 10 or 100 words it could convert to a point or rupee or w/e.

Sounds like a good idea! ^_-
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:59:52 pm »
What I suggest is that if you post 5 messages in a row with a word count under 10, you'll get a warning, either by PM or next to the message box. If you do the same thing again, you lose a heart.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:32:36 am »
  • hungry..
That's a pretty cool idea. You could just do like, every 100 words is a "word point" or something.
  • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 01:07:15 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 01:21:32 pm »
  • hungry..
this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work this might work
That kind of post would just be deleted anyway though..
  • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:06:54 pm »
Well you can always put a lot, and I mean a lot (as opposed to a little), of extra (as in unncecessary) words (series of letters strung together to invoke some sort of meaning) into each of your daily posts making it so that whatever you type using your keyboard in your posts on the forum which you view using your internet connection on your pc seem longer (as opposed to shorter) than they should be.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:11:19 pm »
  • *whistle*
What kyle said. And people could always sneaktinywords here and there inreallysmall font so it's barely noticeable.

Or even at the end of the posts, where people are less likely to see it. Like right here

With the correct colour, it'd be barely visible like this, maybe?
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 03:15:32 am »
What kyle said. And people could always sneaktinywords here and there inreallysmall font so it's barely noticeable.

Or even at the end of the posts, where people are less likely to see it. Like right here

How immature do you think we are? O__o

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam seriously, anyone who does that has much bigger problems

uma

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:31:59 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Yeah, it would be what some might consider a "bad" thing, mainly because of the fact that when theres something that has to do with stats, people want to get it as high as possible even though it won't do them anything but give them exponentially larger numbers.

People will start making things wordier and wordier just so they could get more word points, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but its not a good thing either. Like Pyru said, people will put things in REALLY small fonts so they could get a higher post count. That would make the reader go "Hmm... What exactly does that say?" and waste a small amount of time to quote the message and read it from there when it will probably turn out to be some kind of random useless crap like "Waiter, I will take the chicken fried rocks with a side of stone cheese please." or something like that.

It just wouldn't be that necessary of a thing to do... It's just something that obsessive compulsive people can get a higher number in by trying as hard as they can to make longer and longer posts, full of small words that could be taken out by the use of a bigger adjective or words that are used to describe an action such as a verb.
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 04:14:50 am »
Yeah, it would be what some might consider a "bad" thing, mainly because of the fact that when theres something that has to do with stats, people want to get it as high as possible even though it won't do them anything but give them exponentially larger numbers.

People will start making things wordier and wordier just so they could get more word points, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but its not a good thing either. Like Pyru said, people will put things in REALLY small fonts so they could get a higher post count. That would make the reader go "Hmm... What exactly does that say?" and waste a small amount of time to quote the message and read it from there when it will probably turn out to be some kind of random useless crap like "Waiter, I will take the chicken fried rocks with a side of stone cheese please." or something like that.

It just wouldn't be that necessary of a thing to do... It's just something that obsessive compulsive people can get a higher number in by trying as hard as they can to make longer and longer posts, full of small words that could be taken out by the use of a bigger adjective or words that are used to describe an action such as a verb.
To be honest, I would find that any person (not to be sexist) that truly cares about the number of posts he or she has on his user profile's post count. It would appear to be the mark of a far longer problem that may require psychiatric therapy of some sort and possibly time away from his or her computer, the world wide web, and Zelda Fan Game Central. XD

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 02:28:13 pm »
  • hungry..

You say that.. but at least it makes people think more about their posts.. and in the long run i think people wont be assed to do that.. so they'll end up just getting used to writing longer posts.
  • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 03:50:42 pm »
But wouldn't this system inspire spam, or maybe even the dreadful and annoying habit of ... quoting the first post, seeing as quotes would also increase your word count? I must say that I heartily disagree with this idea, and hope very much, to all our gods, Jehova, Alla, Nayru, Moldola, and even Anubis - I hope to all our gods, that this idea does not, in fact, come to light.

Now, as for these previous posts, they have all been stuffed full of extra words used to increase their word count just in case the idea is used. I think those people, those terrible, terrible, terrible people, should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, ashamed. Truly, truly, truly ashamed.

Topic over.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 06:18:07 pm »
  • hungry..
wouldnt have to count quotes cb.
  • My Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 65 queries.

anything