Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chernobyl Reactor Fungus  (Read 2587 times)

Chernobyl Reactor Fungus
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:30:19 pm »
  • *whistle*
They've found, in the still very radioactive Chernobyl reactor, a fungus that is metabolising the gamma rays... how cool is that?

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20070422222547data_trunc_sys.shtml

It even has various implications in terms of genetic engineering, future food production, and maybe even the clean-up of nuclear waste.

Discuss.
Re: Chernobyl Reactor Fungus
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 04:02:15 pm »
Now all they have to do is find the three eyed fish.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:25:48 pm »
Solar radiation and gamma rays are both electromagnetic radiations, they just have different frequences; so the process of photosynthesis might be very similar to that fungus' process... interesting...

But more interesting is that gamma rays aren't common in nature (are they?), so natural selection wouldn't be the cause of it, unless the fungus lived in a radioactive ambient.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:28:02 pm by sjegtp »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:29:32 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I have a hard time believing some of these articles unless theres other sources to back it up, it all reminds me of like Coast to Coast and Art Bell stuff; lol... (No I'm not saying this particular thing isn't true or anything; lol I just like to cite my sources :P)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:33:58 pm »
  • *whistle*
But more interesting is that gamma rays aren't common in nature (are they?), so natural selection wouldn't be the cause of it, unless the fungus lived in a radioactive ambient.

Only emitted by certain radioactive elements and in nuclear reactions; significant gamma sources include the sun (most of which is blocked out by the atmosphere, etc) and underground uranium deposits; maybe this melanin-rich fungus evolved underground to effectively "feed on" uranium?

I'm also fairly sure melanin is the tanning pigment in humans; it says it's the same type of melanin, so maybe humans could metabolise gamma rays a little bit, too. Y'know, right before the radiation kills them.

I have a hard time believing some of these articles unless theres other sources to back it up, it all reminds me of like Coast to Coast and Art Bell stuff; lol... (No I'm not saying this particular thing isn't true or anything; lol I just like to cite my sources :P)

I've read about this elsewhere, in some quite credible sources, but this was the first thing that showed up when I googled it.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:37:44 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol well that works then XD

Just wanted to make sure there were at least some other sources before I looked too far into it :p
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 12:45:54 am »
I'm also fairly sure melanin is the tanning pigment in humans; it says it's the same type of melanin, so maybe humans could metabolise gamma rays a little bit, too. Y'know, right before the radiation kills them.
Yes, it's called melanin. I found it strange when I read the article, because melanin is just a pigment that works as a barrier for the sunlight... I don't know if there are more types of melanin though... Also, our melanin protects our cells of ultraviolet radiation; I don't know if it also protects it from gamma rays, so maybe the fungus' melanin works with other frequencies of radiation.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:23:27 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Yes, it's called melanin. I found it strange when I read the article, because melanin is just a pigment that works as a barrier for the sunlight... I don't know if there are more types of melanin though... Also, our melanin protects our cells of ultraviolet radiation; I don't know if it also protects it from gamma rays, so maybe the fungus' melanin works with other frequencies of radiation.
It said it's the same melanin as ours.
The article said that Casadevall is speculating it may provide energy to our skin cells, which makes me speculate that maybe injecting melanin into ourselves could help prevent skin diseases... maybe? Although that may be more to do with the immune system. :/
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:30:26 am »
It said it's the same melanin as ours.
The article said that Casadevall is speculating it may provide energy to our skin cells, which makes me speculate that maybe injecting melanin into ourselves could help prevent skin diseases... maybe? Although that may be more to do with the immune system. :/
I don't know if that would work on people who have too white skin, but yes, melanin is directly related to skin cancer. EDIT: But when the illness is caused by a virus or bacterium, melanin is unrelated.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 05:12:44 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
=O
Nerd feast! Now all I need to do is learn to make a symbiotic intigration, and PING! World War III will only make me stronger!
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 10:41:14 pm »
  • :3
That is if you survive the extreme heat of the nuclear blasts.
Gannon-banned brother.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 58 queries.