Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Truth is not relative!  (Read 15825 times)

Re: Truth is not relative!
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 06:19:00 pm »
Am I the only one who was wondering how 'how we percieve the colours' changes what colour they actually are? The object still reflects the same amount of certain parts of the light spectrum, regardless of how our brain processes it.

The argument is that we perceive it differently because although all the actual colors are what they are, we see them differently ourselves because of our unique brains.. or something... ??

That's it. <_<

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 06:28:03 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Am I the only one who was wondering how 'how we percieve the colours' changes what colour they actually are? The object still reflects the same amount of certain parts of the light spectrum, regardless of how our brain processes it.

The argument is that we perceive it differently because although all the actual colors are what they are, we see them differently ourselves because of our unique brains.. or something... ??

Exactly lol... its kinda weird when you think about it... My default green theme might appear what I consider "blue" to other people for all I know :P
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2007, 07:45:03 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
And mine is that doesn't change the truth of the matter, the object still has the quality of red because it still reflects that part of the spectrum and such :P Like I said, truth only varies from person to person if you say "It is true that X perceives it as Y"
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2007, 04:41:05 am »
I don't believe color perception varies, though. I think color is the same for everybody.
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2007, 05:16:38 am »
I don't believe color perception varies, though. I think color is the same for everybody.

but you have absolutely no way of proving it. Have you ever looked through someone else's eyes? Have you looked through every single person's eyes? Until you have, you can never truly say with absolute validity that color is the same for everybody. But I suppose that's why you used the word "believe."

TheDarkJay: I'm sorry to say this, but truth is relative. The majority of my perception of truth is theoretical and philosophical, whereas your view seems to be more practical. The fact that we have differing perceptions of truth is in some ways proof that truth is relative. The definition of truth as you know it is the definition that is accepted by the vast majority of society. We agree on what truth is, and that's what makes truth what it is. But let's say that everyone in the world accepted on a definition for truth that you knew was false. Although to you it's positively false, the fact of the matter is that their definition of truth is the correct definition.

It's difficult for me to clarify my point, and therefore I'd like to recommend that you read 1984. It's a brilliant work of literature that provides several interesting ideas and concepts. For example, in the novel, the government constantly modifies all periodicals, publications, and any other forms of evidence to change the past, and by doing so change the truth, change facts. The majority of society is brainwashed to accept these changes as fact through a mental process defined as doublethink: consciously accepting that a given piece of information is fact when you know it's not, and then forgetting that you even used the process, now accepting the new truth as the only truth. The protagonist wonders throughout the novel how this new truth can really be the truth, and wonders if he's the only person who has any real memories.

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2007, 06:16:36 am »
but you have absolutely no way of proving it.
I don't care. n_n
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:03:21 am by CelestialEsper »
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2007, 01:22:34 am »
I don't care. n_n
Good rebuttal.

.TakaM was here.
so my friend stole a giant bag of ketchup out of the ketchup pumping things and brought it to our table and we took it in the bathroom and i smashed it over the sink and kicked it around the bathroom and smeared it everywhere and we all took turns kicking the ketchup out of it and when we were done it looked like an african village was murdered in the bathroom
XFD.
  • Awesome Land

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2007, 01:30:53 am »
  • b e p i s
I don't care. n_n

You're a poor debater. I highly recommend you stay out of Debates and Smart Talk. n_n
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2007, 11:26:49 am »
I don't care. n_n

You're a poor debater. I highly recommend you stay out of Debates and Smart Talk. n_n

Knivu speaks truth n_n
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2007, 10:44:57 pm »
  • Lul
Though does it really matter? As long as it works it's Ok, right? Maybe what I see
as water, is Coca cola seen from you... But that also has to mean that your body
is built up in a way that coca cola is beneficial to your health, because water is.
Ooor maybe healthy in "my world" is translated as unhealthy in "your world"???? So
drinking water is benefical in my world, but not in yours (because water is coca
cola (which, in this case, is unhealthy in both of the worlds)) D:!? Though it
doesn't make any sense, sooner or later you should end up at the... dentist? And
how would I react on that? "I never knew you could end up at the dentist due
to excess water consumption..." (Which would be heard as "I never knew you
could end up at the dentist due to excess coca cola consumption...") ????

Hmm, this is making me nuts, you could go on like this forever. Well, however it
is, it works... or dooeess it? Because maybe, in your world, it doesn't! And...
I'm going to zzZzZzZzZzZ before my head explodes.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2007, 10:46:04 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
XD Tabby, I swear if you were president you could solve world hunger XD
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2007, 10:49:51 pm »
I don't care. n_n

Who said I was debating anymore? Your assumption leads you astray.

Knivu speaks truth n_n

Your bias shines out like a newly washed car.
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:12 pm »
  • Lul
XD Tabby, I swear if you were president you could solve world hunger XD

Rofl! Naaah, you could XD I bet "you could" actually means "you could never"
in your world! =P
... Better not continue <_< Though one more thing, do you think we could find out if we're
actually seeing the same things if our bodies just changed... consciousness/soul/etc?? xxDD

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2007, 06:29:00 am »
  • b e p i s
I don't care. n_n

Knivu speaks truth n_n

Well of course bert is biased, he agrees with me.

The thing is, you use a lot of ad hominem attacks, circular arguments, and you tend to rather stretch your logic. If all you're going to do is be a cement wall that won't listen to anyone, then with all due respect, you really shouldn't post in this section of ZFGC.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2007, 08:39:36 am »
I assume you're referring to a certain other topic. There was ad hominem all around from various posters, dude. Very uncool statement. And guess what. Sometimes people have different views or experiences than you. Get over it.
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2007, 12:36:08 pm »
I don't care. n_n

Knivu speaks truth n_n

The thing is, you use a lot of ad hominem attacks, circular arguments, and you tend to rather stretch your logic. If all you're going to do is be a cement wall that won't listen to anyone, then with all due respect, you really shouldn't post in this section of ZFGC.

And I thought I was the only one who was thinking this... although by Tabby's logic I could be sticking up for him...  :huh:
Ya I'm a show off.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2007, 06:34:39 pm »
  • b e p i s
I assume you're referring to a certain other topic. There was ad hominem all around from various posters, dude. Very uncool statement. And guess what. Sometimes people have different views or experiences than you. Get over it.

Why are you insinuating I can't appreciate your views? Where did I indicate that? I was raised Christian; my views conflict with my own mother's and we get along just fine.

And I am aware of the other posters' slip-ups, but you see, I'm addressing you, not them.

Nebetsu

Harbinger
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2007, 06:57:11 pm »

Why are you insinuating I can't appreciate your views? Where did I indicate that? I was raised Christian; my views conflict with my own mother's and we get along just fine.

And I am aware of the other posters' slip-ups, but you see, I'm addressing you, not them.
This is why I try as hard as I can to NOT get involved in debates with a large portion of 16 year olds :P

• Yiddish Nebbish
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2007, 07:16:55 pm »
I don't care. n_n

Knivu speaks truth n_n

His comment about being Bias was taken from the Evolution debate. Yet its not biased, just truth. CelestialEsper, why must you continue to bring up irrelevant crap in debates? I admit I sort of started this one, but why attack Knivu by saying he cant appreciate other peoples views when he hasn't even made a single comment against other peoples views. Or is it because his view is different to yours that it automatically means he lacks the appreciation of yours?

O DEER BARAGE OF HARRASING PMS AHEAD SIR.
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2007, 11:30:30 pm »

His comment about being Bias was taken from the Evolution debate. Yet its not biased, just truth. CelestialEsper, why must you continue to bring up irrelevant crap in debates? I admit I sort of started this one, but why attack Knivu by saying he cant appreciate other peoples views when he hasn't even made a single comment against other peoples views. Or is it because his view is different to yours that it automatically means he lacks the appreciation of yours?

O DEER BARAGE OF HARRASING PMS AHEAD SIR.

Did your parents not give you the attention you needed as a child? Why are you so distraught, sir? I mean honestly, wow. I think arguing and harrassing people for you is a hobby.

But about the thing about the views... I was referring to this:

If all you're going to do is be a cement wall that won't listen to anyone,

Everyone in that topic was pretty adament in what they thought. I no more than anyone else. The only difference is that I suggested that macroevolution doesn't seem like the only logical explanation and that God could be behind it-- and everyone else in the topic thought otherwise.  Please respect other people's views.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 11:37:27 pm by CelestialEsper »
ZFGC Veteran since 2004
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.758 seconds with 76 queries.

anything