Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Piracy... >>  (Read 20600 times)

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
Re: Piracy... >>
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2007, 01:04:58 am »
That only works for artists who already have a good reputation, large fan following and a lot of money behind them.

With the current system. It'll become easier for startups to start selling merchandise and making money over time.

Recently, there's been a bigger push towards labels putting more promotion into live shows for bands, and actually using albums and singles as a promotion for gigs, not the other way around.

That's... exactly what I'm suggesting?

Now... If everyone thought that way... What would happen?

Piracy wouldn't be so akin to terrorism on the red herring hit list?

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2007, 03:01:59 am »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Piracy wouldn't be so akin to terrorism on the red herring hit list?

Err... If everybody starts to think that if they are only copying the music, it won't hurt the music maker because its not outright stealing, the music makers won't get any money... (This is obviously an extreme situation.)

Still... "terrorism" > piracy if we can do it correctly...

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2007, 01:37:15 am »
^
We've been through this 30 times before. The musicians don't get any money ANYWAY because the bloated record companies suck it all up. When you buy a CD, you're not paying the musician, you're paying the record label.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2007, 02:36:58 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I pirate, and I'm !@#$% proud of it. The record companies don't need any more money, and they need to crash and burn anyway. I also pirate games that nobody buys anymore. Why? Because nobody buys them, so nobody makes a profit. It's redundant for companies to try to sue over something that is, in all respects, dead weight.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2007, 03:02:15 am »
I pirate, and I'm !@#$% proud of it. The record companies don't need any more money, and they need to crash and burn anyway. I also pirate games that nobody buys anymore. Why? Because nobody buys them, so nobody makes a profit. It's redundant for companies to try to sue over something that is, in all respects, dead weight.

Do you pirate SNES games?
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2007, 03:42:34 am »
Because nobody buys them, so nobody makes a profit. It's redundant for companies to try to sue over something that is, in all respects, dead weight.
That's not exactly true (well, with Nintendo anyway)... alot of old games have been re-released for GBA and other systems.  And you can also download old games with the Wii.  So Nintendo still profits from them.  If there's a game that isn't going to be re-released then I don't really see anything wrong with pirating it (in terms of Nintendo's profit, it's really not much different than buying a used game), but I still think it should be up to the company to decide to distribute it for free or not.  Problem is, game companies like Nintendo never choose to distribute their old games for free :(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:45:30 am by dannyjenn »
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2007, 05:40:13 am »
This is kind of irrelevant do to mp3 players but since no one else has mentioned it I suppose I will.

Here in Canada, We have a tax on all blank CDs which goes to the record companies because it is being assumed that these CDs will be used for piracy.

*Disclaimer* The views presented here are not those of Thibledorf and cannot be held against him at any future time. *Disclaimer*  XD
Anyway, Assuming that copying music for personal use "is" a crime, I guess I shouldn't sing a song I haven't paid for because technically that 's copying it and we have decided that copying music is a crime. Right?

I'm all for piracy. There are many good songs out there on albums that are filled with garbage. I just can't justify buying an entire album just to get one song. If the album is mostly good songs however I will then go out and buy it, quite satisfied that I am getting my moneys worth.
Ya I'm a show off.
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2007, 01:27:21 pm »
There are many good songs out there on albums that are filled with garbage. I just can't justify buying an entire album just to get one song. If the album is mostly good songs however I will then go out and buy it, quite satisfied that I am getting my moneys worth.
That's why you should use the iTunes store / any other online store that lets you buy just one song.  Unless the song is album-only or not available on there then there's no reason that you'd need to buy the entire CD.  And if you want the whole CD then it's usually cheaper to buy over iTunes anyway.
The only problem is that I've heard that the quality is worse than CDs.  I've never noticed though... maybe because mostly everything I get is from iTunes

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2007, 01:47:23 pm »
iTunes - Infested with low quality, DRM, and more money goes to the record companies than if you buy it off of a CD.

iTunes is Satan. There's nothing good about iTunes when you know what it is.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2007, 04:08:30 pm »
Are you sure that more money goes to the record companies if you buy the song from iTunes?  Everything's cheaper, so if you're right then it's a higher percentage going to the record companies aswell.  But what's your  point?  If you're just trying to say CDs are better then you're probably right.  But if you're trying to say that piracy is better then the argument makes no sense.  At least with iTunes the artist is still making some money, but with piracy he isn't.
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2007, 04:27:29 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
I use piracy responsibly. What does that mean? Well, it pretty much means that if I can obtain the media I want, I buy it. When I'm looking for something obscure that I can't find in stores, or if my Dad wont let me use the credit card, I do a bit of illegitimate downloading. I also refrain from buying used games, with the above given conditions.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2007, 06:27:37 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.

Do you pirate SNES games?

Typically, no. I already have all of the SNES games I want (Contra III, Demon's Crest, etc.)
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2007, 07:33:49 pm »
I know the guy who owns a site called p2pnet.net and he was telling me about how the sites that sell music online are grossly over priced and that most musicians don't get a cut from sales anyway. Apparently most musicians sell the rights to their songs to a record company and after that the company gets all of the profits. If you want to support an artist I think the best way of doing that is to go see them in concert. That is assuming you can afford it.
Anyway, this p2p guy was telling me that the reason many people are pirating music is because of the prices and if they were made more reasonable than less people would pirate music.
I personally think that as long as people can get music without paying for it they will.
Another thing this guy was telling me about was some of the sites have silly restrictions on them to combat piracy.
For instance: On some sites, the songs can only be played on the computer they were downloaded to. On other sites, the songs can only be played a certain number of times before they disappear.

Most of the copyright laws that involve music were originally created for books and aren't actually transferable to music.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that if I bought a book that I couldn't take to a friends house or that disappeared after opening the cover three times I would definitely return the book.
Ya I'm a show off.

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2007, 07:40:38 pm »
At least with iTunes the artist is still making some money, but with piracy he isn't.

Piracy > CDs > iTunes in the long term. Piracy will kill of record companies, and removing them is the only way for artists to actually make any money. Pirate your music, then send a check for $20 to the artist. Seriously.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

Nebetsu

Harbinger
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2007, 10:07:04 pm »
At least with iTunes the artist is still making some money, but with piracy he isn't.

Piracy > CDs > iTunes in the long term. Piracy will kill of record companies, and removing them is the only way for artists to actually make any money. Pirate your music, then send a check for $20 to the artist. Seriously.
That makes quite a bit of sense.

• Yiddish Nebbish
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2007, 12:30:59 pm »

I think cash would probably be better. Sending your name to someone when you are trying to make up for doing something illegal just seems like a bad idea.
Ya I'm a show off.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2007, 12:34:47 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
o.o can someone please point out the laws behind this? Less than 10 years ago; there were no laws, or anything of that nature for this stuff. It seems to me that its only "guidelines" set by the RIAA and MPAA; and prior to that crap, the fines were for the distributors of said item, not the receivers.
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2007, 01:31:30 pm »
o.o can someone please point out the laws behind this? Less than 10 years ago; there were no laws, or anything of that nature for this stuff. It seems to me that its only "guidelines" set by the RIAA and MPAA; and prior to that !@#$%, the fines were for the distributors of said item, not the receivers.
I assume it would be the same laws that they have for any other kind of stealing.  There might be more but it's not really necessary.  If someone broke into a store and stole all the CDs, then gave them to you and you accepted them, knowing that they were stollen, you'd still be breaking some law.  It doesn't make sense for it to be any different just because it's files and not a hard copy

I think cash would probably be better. Sending your name to someone when you are trying to make up for doing something illegal just seems like a bad idea.
lol, true.  but then you'd risk someone else taking the $20 bill before it even got to the artist.  it's more about making sure the artist gets the money (instead of the record company) than making up for something illegal
and I don't agree with this... you need to look at it from the record company's point of view.  you act as if it's wrong for the record company to profit from the artist's work, but don't you realize that it was the artist who made the deal with them?  it's not like the record company is illegally profitting from someone else's work.  the artist could have chosen to distribute his own music online for free (then no money would go to the record company), but he didn't.  why should you steal from the record company because you don't like the decision the artist made?
and why do you think he didn't choose to do that?  it's because the record company isn't always bad for the artist.  having a deal with the record company usually helps to make the artist more well-known, so he's able to have more concerts and make more money that way.  if he wasn't interested in concerts and just wanted to make money from CDs then he could sell them himself, but in that case he wouldn't be making a deal with any record company so it's irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:35:45 pm by dannyjenn »
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2007, 01:39:56 pm »
All those people that are on the internet are being so against Piracy are hypcrits! I'm 100% sure they have downloaded songs/games/movies/programs/etc! But they want to cover themselfs in case the goverment or something is watching. I download stuff and I'm not proud of it! But there are so much things I downloaded and some of them where so good that I inmediatly bought them! Because they are worth my money. Some other things are maybe fun or cool but not that good to be worth the money. Or not with the current price tag, so those are things I don't buy.

And the temptation is really big when you want something but it costs allot money and you know you can get it for free with a few mouse clicks.

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2007, 01:32:23 pm »
lol, true.  but then you'd risk someone else taking the $20 bill before it even got to the artist.  it's more about making sure the artist gets the money (instead of the record company) than making up for something illegal
and I don't agree with this... you need to look at it from the record company's point of view.  you act as if it's wrong for the record company to profit from the artist's work, but don't you realize that it was the artist who made the deal with them?  it's not like the record company is illegally profitting from someone else's work.  the artist could have chosen to distribute his own music online for free (then no money would go to the record company), but he didn't.  why should you steal from the record company because you don't like the decision the artist made?
and why do you think he didn't choose to do that?  it's because the record company isn't always bad for the artist.  having a deal with the record company usually helps to make the artist more well-known, so he's able to have more concerts and make more money that way.  if he wasn't interested in concerts and just wanted to make money from CDs then he could sell them himself, but in that case he wouldn't be making a deal with any record company so it's irrelevant.

Actually when the music industry was started the record companies were the only option for people who wanted to sell their music so they got away with taking huge cuts of the profit. No, I don't think it is wrong to profit off someone elses work but the record companies do more than profit. They charge way more money than their services are actually worth.
Now the record companies are losing their monopolies because of computers and they are trying to present the facade that they are the best option. As far as publicity goes piracy is a much better advertisement for concerts than record companies because the advertising is more widespread.

o.o can someone please point out the laws behind this? Less than 10 years ago; there were no laws, or anything of that nature for this stuff. It seems to me that its only "guidelines" set by the RIAA and MPAA; and prior to that !@#$%, the fines were for the distributors of said item, not the receivers.
I assume it would be the same laws that they have for any other kind of stealing.  There might be more but it's not really necessary.  If someone broke into a store and stole all the CDs, then gave them to you and you accepted them, knowing that they were stolen, you'd still be breaking some law.  It doesn't make sense for it to be any different just because it's files and not a hard copy

Actually, The difference is that when you copy a CD no one loses the CD. There is no law that says you can't make an exact copy of something strictly for personale use. If there were than you couldn't do much of anything without infringing on some law or another.
Ya I'm a show off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 77 queries.

anything