Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RFIDs  (Read 2551 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
RFIDs
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:36:44 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
For those of you who dont know, RFID chips are small chips that are about the size of a grain of rice that transmit a signal using radiowaves. They can be used for a variety of things, and they can even implant them into living creatures for tracking.

For more info-

RFID

My personal thoughts on it?

Meh its not a big deal. I think digital tracking is important for a lot of things. I don't really agree with the implantation in people and animals though. Tracking people isnt so good <_<

I wanna hear your thoughts on this stuff :p

(btw please none of that "omg its a chip they'll put in your hand so its the mark of the beast" stuff; I don't want to turn this into a religious debate... <_< this is a purely technological debate involving the privacy of individuals and the invasion that may stem from a tracking chip.)
Re: RFIDs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:49:15 am »
I used to think something like this wouldn't be a big deal, but then I realized it's the first step of a horrible reality.

it will be introduced eventually, it's inevitable, and at first it will probably just be a form of I.D, criminal records etc.
but then you'll be able to use it like a credit card, then there will probably be different levels of chips, that classify you, and deny you access from specific things, eventually people will face charges of having their chips turned off- being removed from the world basically

I don't mean to sound paranoid, and I don't mean I expect this within the next 50 years, but I do expect it to happen eventually.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:53:28 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I personally think the health risks of the implants will prevent them from that sort of step (cancer :s) down the road; but indeed there are issues involving having everything tagged.

Walmart is sure to buy only tagged products, so everything you get from there has an RFID. This becomes an issue when something is stolen and you have a similar ID read on your persons :p could lead to problems..

My question is... they store like what 12 digits? why not have the first 8 digits be the ID, and the last digits a random seed to give each ID a unique number?

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:00:12 am »
  • Silly cat!
I second .TakaM's post. That's pretty much what I was going to say... except, I wouldn't say that RFIDs are the first step of a horrible reality, and that the first step was probably the security camera, or something else I haven't thought of. So I guess I strongly disagree with using them in living organisms (including animals) but at the same time I can't imagine a future without them. Whether it's a distant or not-so distant future, it's still the inevitable future.

We're all doomed D: It's 1984!

Though, this sort of thing would be handy for perhaps military purposes, or in the use of various products. It's got the potential to be used for good, and that's probably how it will start out. Wouldn't be surprised if it evolved into something else, that's all I'm saying.

Hoffy.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:05:34 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
A few problems arise...

Playing with magnets

Having an MRI

having an amputation where the chip is

malfunctions that could create super villains

mobile phones, if the chip used a sort of wireless networking the communication could be funny.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 04:11:53 pm »
blabla chip implants
way cooler with how RFID is used already
like in access cards.. to doors.. with access denied signs on them >:D
but i guess even that has become like the old safes with codes
now worthwhile doors are opened with retina or thumb + code, voice too
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:13:55 pm by Gonzo »

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:42:08 pm »
I think they're handy at this point and could have some cool implementations potentially. For example, I've heard of stuff like refrigerators that will recognize the food you have in them and let you make a list of things that you've run out of for next time you go to the grocery store.  Just little convenient stuff like that is cool. Also, key-cards are much less of a hassle than turning a key, especially when you're carrying a bunch of stuff.

I also kind of expect the stuff .TakaM mentioned to happen down the line to some extent...it's inevitable really.  Some stuff like that is already happening actually.  Many countries now issue passports that contain RFID that bring up your birthday, hometown, criminal history, known aliases, political affiliation, work history, etc. when entering another country.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear of RFID implants of some sort for criminals within 10-20 years, though the rest of the stuff probably won't happen for a long time...hopefully.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:49:43 pm »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. Preferabley, though, I'd like to see its use limited to that of pedophiles or convicts. You know, for safety and !@#$%.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 07:59:02 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I agree with .TakaM in that it will happen, but I on the other hand think this is a good thing. Then again, my motto is "If you have power, go mad with it. It's just boring otherwise", so...yeah  ;)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 05:33:11 am »
I second .TakaM's post. That's pretty much what I was going to say... except, I wouldn't say that RFIDs are the first step of a horrible reality, and that the first step was probably the security camera, or something else I haven't thought of. So I guess I strongly disagree with using them in living organisms (including animals) but at the same time I can't imagine a future without them. Whether it's a distant or not-so distant future, it's still the inevitable future.

Though, this sort of thing would be handy for perhaps military purposes, or in the use of various products. It's got the potential to be used for good, and that's probably how it will start out. Wouldn't be surprised if it evolved into something else, that's all I'm saying.

I find it funny that you said it could have use in the military and then stated that it has good potential.
Also, I'm going to start reading 1984 soon. I have a copy sitting right in front of me on my desk. XD

Concerning the chip, I don't think it would have a huge impact on peoples lives but malfunctions could be dangerous.
Ya I'm a show off.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 06:53:39 am »
  • Silly cat!

I find it funny that you said it could have use in the military and then stated that it has good potential.
You're right, that is funny XD

Also, read 1984 nao. It's a great book ;).

Hoffy.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 07:22:32 am »
Also, read 1984 nao. It's a great book ;).

Agreed.  Also put "Brave New World", "Fahrenheit 451", and "A Clockwork Orange" on your to-do-list.  Dystopian fiction=win.  1984 is a must read, as are the rest that I mentioned. If it's already right in front of you, get to it.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 10:30:03 pm »
Ok, Ill get to reading 1984 ASAP. I'll keep those other books you mentioned in mind for future reads. :)

Anyway, we should stop discussion of books before we get too far off topic.
Ya I'm a show off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 58 queries.