Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Working on a new LTTPpure... Any suggestions?  (Read 4901 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Working on a new LTTPpure... Any suggestions?
« on: February 17, 2008, 10:50:26 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I've been putting a lot of thought into it, and I think I'm going to work on a new LTTPpure... not so much because the last one kinda sucked (XD like I said before, it has some nice stuff in it, but it was never completed, and it needs a rewrite... bad), but because I want to do things a bit differently...

Anyway, for a quick rundown on what LTTPpure is supposed to be; it's just a collection of scripts to complete a zelda game. Things from movement scripts and action scripts, to enemy scripts, etc to make an aLttP style game. I've also been working on Octorok a bit (downloads section under engines and examples), and I'm finishing my map engine up, which I will include in LTTPpure as "Octorok Map System".

Anyway, is there anything specific you want me to make note of when working on this?

I'm already going to try to encompass all of lttp's basic functionality, and I'm even going so far as to mimic how lttp actually renders link on screen (body and head are separate sprites). I'd like to cover things like pushing/pulling blocks, using items and having each item run its own script, loading external rooms on the fly for proper lttp style scrolling, *multiplayer aspects, etc. Pretty much anything covered in a zelda game really.

*multiplayer aspects are still undetermined... A simple core multiplayer engine might be included, but realistically that should be on the people using the engine to develop, not me :p

A Storm in the Desert

Eternal Triangle
Re: Working on a new LTTPpure... Any suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:44:02 pm »
  • Wear the Deku Sprout Smile :]
I'd find the room scrolling very useful. Might even be enough to convince me to start work on my fangame again XD
Surely you can do it!
Believe in your strengths...Believe...

-Happy Mask Salesman

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:25:24 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol the room scrolling is actually my top priority XD I dunno if that sounds bad or not, but it's one of the most annoying problems with zelda fangames made with GM :p

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:41 am »
lol the room scrolling is actually my top priority XD I dunno if that sounds bad or not, but it's one of the most annoying problems with zelda fangames made with GM :p

Don't you mean all RPG games?
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:11:34 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol no, not really :P most RPG's just do a standard fade to black sequence when transitioning between rooms; but in 2d Zelda games the scrolling is vital. If you ask me, the scrolling is more important then even a lot of the other cliche' elements, at least in terms of association... People see that kinda scrolling and they say "A zelda game!" or "Just like in Zelda!" :P
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:32:54 pm »
make a copy of the room as an internal bitmap/sprite.. whatever its called
use it and scroll between the new "view" and the old bitmap
f.ex from left to right
new view starts at zero width and increases until its 100%
and old view starts at 100% and width reduction is inverse of new view
ie. newview.width is constantly = screenwidth - oldview.width
you should also make several other types of scrolling
alpha (just alpha-blend old view onto new view decreasingly)
mode7ish zoom-in (blit a view from itself resized centered on player)
circular in and out (draw a masked circle with increasing/decreasing radius centered on player)
fade to/from black and white, white is very modern :P
mode7ish sine distortion waves to screen mem emulating LttP mirror/darkworld transition
(this is very hard to accomplish, even though i did it i dont know if you can do it in GM, you need access to screen memory)
and so on
i cant remember any others
the simplest is fading to black, since in GM its probably just a matter of reducing game "brightness"

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:40:48 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Maybe I'm being a bit thick or stupid if I was to say the whole keys/opening doors aspect would be interesting.  Speaking of which, I never knew this existed.  I just downloaded your GM6 version.

[EDIT] Hmm.  You know what might lessen some confusion?  If you posted a list of scripts you have completed or are working on (in seperate lists).

Oh, heavens!  I *have* seen this before!  Are you doing a "release as you go" sort of thing, or do you want to wait until it's all done?  Very interesting, very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:56:51 pm by 2awesome4apossum »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:46 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol well, the one you downloaded is from 2005; it's my initial start on LTTPpure... There was a bit more then that, but I couldn't find the gmd for the rest of the stuff (*major sadface*)... So I'm wanting to take the project back on with a different outlook on it...

I'm probably going to reuse the movement system from the original incarnation, but more then likely, that's all I'll reuse :P...

As it stands right now, I'm working on a few simple scripts; (scripts with "Functions" in them are basically multi-tiered argument based scripts; basically if case 1 on a switch is "Add", then argument 1+ will do different things according to that... faux functions)

Heart System (scrHeartBox, scrHeartFunctions); Handles your hearts, ranging from displaying them, to adding/subtracting from them, etc.
Rupee System (scrRupees, scrRupeeFunctions); Manages rupees, including wallets, etc
Link Rigging (scrLinkRig); This is actually to let the game know which link sprites to display... I'm using the actual sprite rips from lttp, meaning head and body are separate. This will tell the head to be at a specific x/y value depending on which body sprite is being used... Not as complicated as it sounds, but it makes certain aspects in zelda games easier, like adult link vs young link.
"Octorok Map Engine"; Manages your rooms & scrolling, displays them accordingly. Loads your main room, buffers the 8 remaining ones on the edges of the map until they're needed.

I'm also working on item scripts that work dynamically as well; for example, lets say link picks up a bomb for the first time; the game would call

scrLinkGetItem(), and for the argument, it would call itemBomb("getsprite")... So the total script would be scrLinkGetItem(itemBomb("getsprite")). The script "itemBomb" will return a specific value for each function called in argument0; "getsprite" will return "sprBomb", and this would be the sprite that link would display over his head. Each item will be coded intrinsically, with the same functions, so when you're getting items, you only need to refer to the item scripts.

They will offer return values for sprites, "get messages", and other relevant data, making it as dynamic and useful as possible.

etc

BTW- I had the map engine done like... last week... but BOOM! saved, and cat tripped the power cord >_< lol corrupted it... XD so I'm working on it... again...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:46:21 am by Mamoruanime »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:01:23 pm »
Transitions...yeh, I my next demo, I will do the fade in thing (I have the code already:D). But I may do it in the current demo. Anyway, if you need help, PM me okay?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:04:11 pm by Laigonaz »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:20:22 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Okay, and this is for Game Maker 7, this time around?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:22:32 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah :p Though it may be compatible with 6.0; I'll have to look into that while I'm coding it--- I dont imagine theres going to be many GM7 specific functions in this, so mebbe I'll release 2 versions ^_^

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:27:49 pm »
My way uses 2 instances and a few scripts :D Is that okay?
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:37:52 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
XD for what?

I suppose it all depends on what you're wanting to do, and your preference :p

I personally prefer things to be handled via script for exporting reasons; scripts that have multiple uses come in handy too when it comes to source clutter :p

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 07:24:21 pm »
Im talking about transitions. I made one and it is very simple to make :D

Right, I have successfully completed a code for a transition that is SOOOO PRETTY DAMN AWESOME!!!! Anyway, it uses 2 instances(ChangeRoom and AppearRoom) and 1 script(RoomGoTo)

Anyway, I'll post a screeny soon!!!
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah, ultimately because of GM's horrible loop system (no doevents style command?), I'm going to have to have a mapsys object, that, when called, basically handles the functions of a for loop, except incriments var i and j in the step event until the outskirt rooms are loaded; all objects will be loaded on room transition (enemies will appear as those lil skull/crossbones smoke things like in lttp)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:38 pm »
Loop system? Could you explain mamoruanime? (can I call you mamor?)
  • Phoenix Heart

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
:P or mammy works

but yeah- GM interprets while and for loops slowly; one room with approx 100 tiles took over 2 minutes to load with a simple loop that increments i for horizontal tiles, and j for vertical tiles. Since thats far too slow, and while GM runs a loop, the draw step of the games loop does not run (every game has a game loop, GM just hides the game loop from the users view), causing lag time... So to solve this issue, if I make an object that basically initializes the loop in its own step event, and avoids initializes the while or for loop; instead it uses the step event itself as that loop. Each step the object takes (or rather; each frame of the game), i will increment to a specified amount, loading tiles while the game is running, but off screen.

This is one method I may use :P... I may experiment with just having a gml file with a bunch of draw_tile functions, but I'd imagine thats slow as hell lol

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 08:26:01 pm »
:P or mammy works

but yeah- GM interprets while and for loops slowly; one room with approx 100 tiles took over 2 minutes to load with a simple loop that increments i for horizontal tiles, and j for vertical tiles. Since thats far too slow, and while GM runs a loop, the draw step of the games loop does not run (every game has a game loop, GM just hides the game loop from the users view), causing lag time... So to solve this issue, if I make an object that basically initializes the loop in its own step event, and avoids initializes the while or for loop; instead it uses the step event itself as that loop. Each step the object takes (or rather; each frame of the game), i will increment to a specified amount, loading tiles while the game is running, but off screen.

This is one method I may use :P... I may experiment with just having a gml file with a bunch of draw_tile functions, but I'd imagine thats slow as hell lol

hmm...well, my transition engine looks good!!! I have posted it up on the forums
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 08:52:13 pm »
back in the day my tiles were drawn realtime, approx. same speed as prerendering it :P
i dont see why GM would do it any slower, and it doesnt have to draw ALL tiles, just the ones visible (?)

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:53 pm »
I wish I never ask mamor the question now...
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 73 queries.