Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate being a Jack of all trades, but a master at none of them.  (Read 1664 times)

I hate being a Jack of all trades, but a master ...
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:34:34 am »
Seriously, it is so hard to concentrate on learning something when you know a little bit of everything.

I keep wanting to learn C++ but everytime I do, I keep thinking,"It'll be easier to make this program in such and such program."

I mean:
I know a little HTML, C++, BASIC, C#, etc.

The only program I am comfortable with and am a "master" at is Multimedia Fusion.

Anyone else run into this dilemma of trying to learn something but your other skills fight you because you know you can do things with an easier program?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: I hate being a Jack of all trades, but a mas...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:39:18 am »
Yes I know how you feel :P. I do that all the time, and it tends to end badly to, cutting corners is never good. I always site debating for several hours before starting a project if I should go for something like C++ or just cheat and go for a high level language, I usually end up going for the later >.<.

I keep wanting to learn C++ but everytime I do, I keep thinking,"It'll be easier to make this program in such and such program."
Can you see the staff projects board? If so go have a look at ZFGSDK, might be a good opportunity to learn some C++.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:55:15 am »
I just pick what I feel is best for the job.  If it's a windows application I'll pick C#, if it's a game I'll use C++, if it needs to be a multi-platform application I'll use Java (unless it's game).

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:34:51 am »
  • Xiphirx
Seriously, it is so hard to concentrate on learning something when you know a little bit of everything.

I mean:
I know a little HTML, C++, BASIC, C#, etc.

The only program I am comfortable with and am a "master" at is Multimedia Fusion.

Anyone else run into this dilemma of trying to learn something but your other skills fight you because you know you can do things with an easier program?

OMG my exact problem!

Can you see the staff projects board? If so go have a look at ZFGSDK, might be a good opportunity to learn some C++.

:O! wtf is that? Can I see it?
  • For The Swarm

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 07:52:48 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

:O! wtf is that?
Your moms house!

Also, I'm sorta like that, but I weeded out a lot of things and just stopped doing them so I can focus on others :P.. I used to do software dev, spriting, music, etc... now I just focus on project management and graphics :p

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 08:11:29 am »
I have this problem too. I started to learn c# with making console apps, but when I get new ideas I end up going "well, I can't wait till I know c# better, let's just make it in gamemaker". It's so goddam annoying. I'd like to be able to focus only on music and programming though.

I can see it, and I know why. Chances are you can't though.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:34:11 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Im sort of like this with Instruments.
I can play a bit of guitar, a (bigger) bit of bass, a bit of keyboard, and a bit of drums. I can play Bass well enough to be in the band, but whenever i try to learn some new guitar, i end up playing bass.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 04:37:25 pm »
That's my problem... everyone's like "LEARN C++ STOP USING GAME MAKER" and I say "!@#$% LEAVE ME ALONE! I'M GOOD AT GAME MAKER AND IT TAKES 2 YEARS TO BE GOOD AT C++ GTFO."
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:49:08 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
That's my problem... everyone's like "LEARN C++ STOP USING GAME MAKER" and I say "!@#$% LEAVE ME ALONE! I'M GOOD AT GAME MAKER AND IT TAKES 2 YEARS TO BE GOOD AT C++ GTFO."

:'( Except that I'd like to learn C++... :(

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:21:29 pm »
  • =/
 Just give yourself some goals on what you want to learn each week then stick to them. Just because you are using one programming language doesn't mean you have to ditch another. For instance, this week, I am supposed to finish movement in my c# game, start working on my java application and do a few tests in game maker. I am personally best with c#, then game maker and I completely suck with Java, yet I make all my things with a different language regardless of skill.The point is to finish your goals for one language before starting to work with the other ones.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 10:32:10 pm »
  • Xiphirx
I have this problem too. I started to learn c# with making console apps, but when I get new ideas I end up going "well, I can't wait till I know c# better, let's just make it in gamemaker". It's so goddam annoying. I'd like to be able to focus only on music and programming though.

Show me know please.

anything to help my lazy ass mind to actually learm
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:33:29 pm »

Show me know please.

anything to help my lazy ass mind to actually learm
Not for your eyes, at least not yet, not until I've put up the SVN and done the design documents's.

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 12:02:04 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
<.< I have the same problem, I know a little pascal, BASIC, Java, C#, C++, C, then the web-based "Languages" HTML and a minute amount of PHP >.> and i'm to lazy to actually make a renderer myself so I either use GameMaker or Irrlicht to avoid the "annoyance" of writing it myself. In reality it's easier to just write what I need myself (unless it's a complicated file format and i don't want to spend countless hours deciphering it and then spend the effort making a library that probably already exists!)
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 63 queries.