Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony increase sales by over 25%...  (Read 4497 times)

Re: Sony increase sales by over 25%...
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 05:00:09 am »
They (Microsoft and Sony) make up their money from their other products. Both of them announced before even entering this generations console battles that they are losing money per console sold just so they can make them affordable to the consumers. Sony initially estimated that the PS3 cost them $600 to manufacture, $500 to sell, Microsoft same thing, except they go for the $400 price tag.

This isn't news, and they are prepared for this :P
actually it was like $850 to make, $600 to sell initially
  • Google Profile

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 05:25:12 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
They (Microsoft and Sony) make up their money from their other products. Both of them announced before even entering this generations console battles that they are losing money per console sold just so they can make them affordable to the consumers. Sony initially estimated that the PS3 cost them $600 to manufacture, $500 to sell, Microsoft same thing, except they go for the $400 price tag.

Yeah I figured my numbers were off on Sony; it didn't look right to me lol

But anyway; I agree with Swiftu. The fact is (and I *cant* be a fanboy on this, as I do not own a PS3, nor do I really care to get one.), Sony is not hurting at all. Yeah, their consoles sales are down outside of Japan, but everything else is being sold left and right. Look; Blu-ray is now the new standard. Remember Betamax? Probably not. Sony FAILED at Betamax; had they won that war, they would have been set forever. Well they won this time around with Blu-Ray, and they're getting money out of the ass for it. Console sales are *not* going to hurt them; and their marketing strategy is really not bad at all.

Nintendo is doing well based on only a couple of realistic factors (again, I do NOT dislike Nintendo; I <3 my DS)-

-Their newest console is using very dated technology, making production costs low, sale price low.
-They've decided to make their primary demographic casual game-players.

It's not a console they're trying to make appeal to people who've been playing video games their entire lives. They're making it cheap enough for kids to bug their parents for one during Christmas, and making it easy enough to play for anyone from infants to old people. I personally think they're screwing the people who've made them what they are today by casualizing their properties, but they've chosen their path.

Sony and Microsoft don't market to casual players in the same way. Sony has PSN game downloads, Microsoft has XBLA. Those are for their casual players; the consoles themselves however are meant for more experienced gamers. They don't MIND losing money because they're in it for the gamers along with the profit, instead of just the profit.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 03:55:17 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
The fact that neither Microsoft nor Sony are turning a profit in the market makes me wonder how much longer they can stay in the game. Sure, they're real competitive in the market, but guess what: although Nintendo fans are relatively unhappy, Nintendo actually makes money. And shareholders tend to like that. Hell, the banks that they take loans from tend to like that.
I like what they've done so lately.  :o
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 05:58:25 pm »
  • (b'-')b Jesus Guitar d('-'d)
But Sony is three generations in, Microsoft is two, and neither of them have turned a profit the whole time, while, to use the cliché, the DS has been printing money for Nintendo. They don't look likely to burn Nintendo out of the market soon, it'd be better if they either gave up or changed their strategy. :/

Releasing 5 different versions of the PS3, announcing more PSN features, and more games isn't "changing strategy"?

..Really?

Your fanboyism is showing.
Clearly yours is, since you exclusively supported Sony there. Releasing 5 different versions of the same console isn't changing strategy at all. They did the same thing with the PS2. And announcing more PSN features is simply furthering their current strategy.

Supporting sony by suggesting the obvious of what was being shown by their business practices? You're !@#$% delusional.

And yes, releasing different versions are a big strategy. If they release a lower priced console, they can increase sales. God damn, get some common sense.
If they release a lower priced console, they're only going to sell more consoles that they're not turning a profit with. <_<
T H I R T Y - T H R E E   T H R E E

Blog | Myspace | Facebook | Clan LmS

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »
But Sony is three generations in, Microsoft is two, and neither of them have turned a profit the whole time, while, to use the cliché, the DS has been printing money for Nintendo. They don't look likely to burn Nintendo out of the market soon, it'd be better if they either gave up or changed their strategy. :/

Releasing 5 different versions of the PS3, announcing more PSN features, and more games isn't "changing strategy"?

..Really?

Clearly yours is, since you exclusively supported Sony there. Releasing 5 different versions of the same console isn't changing strategy at all. They did the same thing with the PS2. And announcing more PSN features is simply furthering their current strategy.

Supporting sony by suggesting the obvious of what was being shown by their business practices? You're !@#$% delusional.

And yes, releasing different versions are a big strategy. If they release a lower priced console, they can increase sales. God damn, get some common sense.
If they release a lower priced console, they're only going to sell more consoles that they're not turning a profit with. <_<

They're going to sell more consoles to increase their userbase so they can sell more software that they can turn a profit with.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 10:41:16 pm »
  • *whistle*
They make a profit per unit on software, through the licensing issues. And yet, neither are making a profit over all in releasing those products: it's financially unviable in the long run.

Yes, the entire console business platform is that the console itself is a loss leader (well, Nintendo makes a profit per unit on the Wii), but they're meant to make up those losses though software sales. Which they aren't.

Just checking that you are aware that Sony makes TVs, Stereos, MP3 Players, Phones blah blah blah
And that Microsoft are bitchin' rich, right?

:P The money that they lose can be made up from their other products, liscences all that jazz.

If you earnt £30, 000 a year, would you be cool with throwing away £10,000 on something you get no benefit from? Thought not.

Not really. It's the same old deal that Sony's been doing for years. How many PS1 and PS2 models were there, huh?

Nintendo's stuck to a single model at a time - sure, the GBA got replaced by the SP, the DS by the Lite, but they never tried to peddle too much at once. It might work in the TV market to have a thousand ever-so-slightly different products under a single umbrella brand, but in the games market, it just seems to confuse consumers.

Sure, gamers are fine with it, but if you don't know video games, are you gonna spend your time fretting over whether to get the 60 gig or 80 gig PS3, or are you gonna get the far cheaper Wii just because it looks fun? I know what I'd do.

..Really?

!@#$%, did I leave my flies undone again?
* Pyru zips up
All better.

They can increase their loss per unit: until they get their attach rate up to a point where they're actually making a profit per unit sold, what's the point?

I wasn't supporting any company, I was merely pointing out a flaw in Pyru's argument. Sony and MS have changed their strategies, several times in fact.

They've changed, but it's not worked. Therefore, they need to change again, find something that works, or leave. Because until they make Nintendo unprofitable - something that doesn't seem to be happening right now - they're not going to bleed the competition out of the market, only themselves.

$600 for the stores to sell; they no doubt bought them from Sony for less than that.
Not only that, but there's other costs involved, like shipping the units that wouldn't be included in the cost of manufacture.

Sony and Microsoft don't market to casual players in the same way. Sony has PSN game downloads, Microsoft has XBLA. Those are for their casual players; the consoles themselves however are meant for more experienced gamers. They don't MIND losing money because they're in it for the gamers along with the profit, instead of just the profit.

But they're not making a profit over all on the product: Xbox and Playstation, have, as projects and product lines, only lost their parent companies money (though companies like EA have made obscene amounts of cash off them). Sure, market share is nice, but there's only so many years that you can talk about operating profits of minus a thousand million dollars per annum and expect your shareholders to still be pleased with how you're doing business.

The fact that neither Microsoft nor Sony are turning a profit in the market makes me wonder how much longer they can stay in the game. Sure, they're real competitive in the market, but guess what: although Nintendo fans are relatively unhappy, Nintendo actually makes money. And shareholders tend to like that. Hell, the banks that they take loans from tend to like that.
I like what they've done so lately.  :o

You do not represent all Nintendo gamers. Some of us are disappointed with a lack of really high quality titles on either the DS or the Wii, and Nintendo's frankly stupid attitudes towards third party developers, online play and micro-transactions. :/
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 11:53:21 am »
They make a profit per unit on software, through the licensing issues. And yet, neither are making a profit over all in releasing those products: it's financially unviable in the long run.

Yes, the entire console business platform is that the console itself is a loss leader (well, Nintendo makes a profit per unit on the Wii), but they're meant to make up those losses though software sales. Which they aren't.

Just checking that you are aware that Sony makes TVs, Stereos, MP3 Players, Phones blah blah blah

:P The money that they lose can be made up from their other products, liscences all that jazz.

If you earnt £30, 000 a year, would you be cool with throwing away £10,000 on something you get no benefit from? Thought not.

If they can defeat the opposition or get a better stand in the market then the opposition then they can work on getting profit. So if my spending of that 10k could lead to a chance of getting profit, then yes I would.
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 03:35:31 pm »
  • *whistle*

If they can defeat the opposition or get a better stand in the market then the opposition then they can work on getting profit. So if my spending of that 10k could lead to a chance of getting profit, then yes I would.

You spend that 10k every year, but never make a profit because your rival with lower sales manages to make a profit, with no sign that your rival will ever stop making a profit or leave the market. What then?
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 03:40:47 pm »

You spend that 10k every year, but never make a profit because your rival with lower sales manages to make a profit, with no sign that your rival will ever stop making a profit or leave the market. What then?

Well if that was the case then yes I wouldn't. But thats not the case as there is still a chance for Sony.
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 03:46:10 pm »
  • *whistle*

Well if that was the case then yes I wouldn't. But thats not the case as there is still a chance for Sony.

Not really. They haven't broken even over the course of a ten-year project, and of their chief competitiors, one of them holds the greatest market share and is making a profit, which Sony was unable to do even while it was the market leader. Sony's had great advantages, but it really isn't making the difference.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »

Not really. They haven't broken even over the course of a ten-year project, and of their chief competitiors, one of them holds the greatest market share and is making a profit, which Sony was unable to do even while it was the market leader. Sony's had great advantages, but it really isn't making the difference.

Before they can consider ways to make a profit they've got to beat their competitor. Microsoft and Sony exclude Nintendo as a competitor because lets face it, sales wises Nintendos Leagues ahead (Though their methods are questionable, I.e the way they decide to appeal to just the casual market, and release endless amounts of shitty party games). In Japan, and I think Europe (If I remember rightly) the PS3 is now outselling the 360. (Japan is a deffinate as the Japanese hate the 360 and Microsoft).

Sony or Microsoft wont be going anywhere any time soon. They are actually doing well considering their loses. And they both have great consoles out on the market. (Unlike Nintendo and the Wii >_>).
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 04:29:44 pm »
  • *whistle*
Sony or Microsoft wont be going anywhere any time soon. They are actually doing well considering their loses. And they both have great consoles out on the market. (Unlike Nintendo and the Wii >_>).

Oxymoron.

It's like saying "Oh, our soldiers are doing great. They're all dead but they're great."

Or "I'm good at poker. Sure, I lose a lot of money at it and never win, but I'm good at it."
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 04:33:11 pm »

Oxymoron.

It's like saying "Oh, our soldiers are doing great. They're all dead but they're great."

Or "I'm good at poker. Sure, I lose a lot of money at it and never win, but I'm good at it."

I meant great as in they have great consoles on the market :P. Profit wise, no not great. They do have a lot of sales. But product wise. Couldn't be better.
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 06:13:47 pm »
As quickly as it raised so quickly it decreased. :D

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 06:31:11 pm »

If that's the case, then you should ask why Nintendo didn't retire the gamecube when Sony was making such a killing with the PS2...

OH WAIT LOL

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:47:41 pm by Swoftu »
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 06:48:14 pm »
  • *whistle*

Might as well ask why Nintendo didn't retire the gamecube when Sony was making such a killing with the PS2...

OH WAIT LOL

The Gameboy was still making money and I'm pretty sure Sony weren't making money with the PS2 either. They just had market dominance. :/

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 06:52:17 pm »

Might as well ask why Nintendo didn't retire the gamecube when Sony was making such a killing with the PS2...

OH WAIT LOL

The Gameboy was still making money and I'm pretty sure Sony weren't making money with the PS2 either. They just had market dominance. :/

Selling over 100 million consoles and not making a profit? LOL @ you.

Gameboy was covering all those Gamecubes collecting dust in warehouses.
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 07:58:37 pm »
  • *whistle*
Selling over 100 million consoles and not making a profit? LOL @ you.

Each console was sold at a loss; they cost more to make than they were sold for. Sure, Sony made some of that up from games licensing, but I don't think their attach rate - games to console ratio - ever made up for it.

Clearly, when you're making a loss on each console sold, it'd be quite easy to sell over a hundred million and not make a profit. Think it through, huh?

Gameboy was covering all those Gamecubes collecting dust in warehouses.

Pretty much, yeah. But Nintendo only had one generation of a console that didn't pull its own weight; Sony are experiencing their third in a row, while Microsoft are experiencing their second. There's a distinct difference between the scenarios.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 08:01:27 pm »
Each console was sold at a loss; they cost more to make than they were sold for. Sure, Sony made some of that up from games licensing, but I don't think their attach rate - games to console ratio - ever made up for it.

Clearly, when you're making a loss on each console sold, it'd be quite easy to sell over a hundred million and not make a profit. Think it through, huh?

How did they have loss on a console that used less powerful hardware than the competition? Now you're just pulling things out of your ass.

And you're just dodging my original point.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:06:59 pm by Swoftu »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 75 queries.

anything