Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Where In The World is Carmen Spamiago?  (Read 30661 times)

Re: Where In The World is Carmen Spamiago?
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:55 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
You are trying to remove the stupidity from something that exudes stupidity, it is not really practical on the moderation's end to ensure that it is kept clean as that draws in their time.  If that were to work you would have to have set a local moderator of the Spam board and have him or her set as a "group moderator" that can promote or demote anyone in the group.  This would be a means of letting those out who are not agreeable and people could still probably enter into the usergroup through means of a Spam Key or whatever.
This sounds stupid, but what about...just people moderating themselves. If it's stupid, restrain yourself...nah, I doubt that will happen...
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
You are trying to remove the stupidity from something that exudes stupidity, it is not really practical on the moderation's end to ensure that it is kept clean as that draws in their time.  If that were to work you would have to have set a local moderator of the Spam board and have him or her set as a "group moderator" that can promote or demote anyone in the group.  This would be a means of letting those out who are not agreeable and people could still probably enter into the usergroup through means of a Spam Key or whatever.

Well, I'm not saying that they should remove all that stuff, my post was directed more to the members themself, just trying say a "try and cut back on the totally stupid crap, myself included" kind of thing.

Spam should get a moderator or two though, just to keep out the flaming of other members, that should be something that stays out of spam, and other things. That or just a stupidity patrol.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2008, 10:38:32 pm »
Kylink, you do not fully comprehend what I am saying.  A group moderator is a feature that we used once here for the Community Project.  In addition to having local moderator qualities within the board, it allows you to promote or demote users from a group; to see the Spam board you have to be in a certain user group, the group moderator could control who gets kicked out so that administrators would not have to step in to remove Spam access from individual members.  This also addresses the "burden" of letting the area exist by letting it handle itself a bit as well as keeping other moderators out of the board for official duties.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:40:07 pm by 4Sword »

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2008, 05:08:08 am »
  • :3
It kind of annoys me that everyone assumes Spam is supposed to be funny. It's Spam; it can be anything. Like right now I want to make make a topic that says "ATTN: Mammy; Stop calling me your daughter! I want to !@#$% you!". =\  It's not supposed to be funny; it's just something I want to say that probably wouldn't be acceptable in any other section of this site.  >_>  <_<
If its not funny, and has no point, is totally useless, what the f--- is the point in posting it here?

Spam doesn't need a point... It's an acronym for "Stupid, Pointless, Annoying messages." lol

Backronyms are stupid.

Spam is compressed ham. Reference to Monty Python sketch ahoy.

At any rate, the board is stupid, has little point. There are places on the internet to be a DICK, and they have more bandwidth than this site. As has been said, go to fuckin' /b/ if you want to be retarded.

Way to generalize, man
Also, 4chan is down.
Gannon-banned brother.

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2008, 06:36:25 am »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
ZFGC, come for the fan games spam, stay for the spam more spam!

I think the notion of that kind of motto is clearly the problem.  The community reaction does seem to gauge that that is what the forum is degenerating to and it's an understandable concern especially considering the board was semi-private.

But of course as always, the staff is as much to blame as the members but at least some kind of action is being taken. 

Hey staff, want to make it interesting?  Monitor the forum's posts per days for a while and see how much it drops without the Spam board.  That should be interesting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:41:26 am by Pyrazor »

I C'Z U
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2008, 07:10:35 am »
For the sake of your comprehension, I will make this blunt.  Spam is being used as a scapegoat for our degradation and making it seem as though it is the biggest problem is disingenuous to how poorly our focus is on development.  There are a few case exceptions where development seems fine, but in general it is sad that most of us, myself included, still revel in Game Maker when things such as C++ and advanced languages themselves should be pursued.  It is sad that Minish Cap, for example, has been out for years and not all the graphics have been ripped from it, sorted, animated if applicable, and made listed for the members here to whom such action would help.

But what is even sadder is cycles such as these repeat themselves and few people are honest about it.  Spam is going to seem like an issue to staff simply because they have other things to do and they are also forced to have Spam visible.  Those in Spam who were active there were either the staff forced to see it or veteran/semi-veteran users who would not contribute to development anyway.  Those staff and users as well as most if not all of the others active in that board still posted in other areas and were alright about it for the most part.  There is always going to be an outlier though and to assume that this outlier is the sign of the Apocalypse is naive.

While I personally do not mind if Spam is gone as I am active in other areas, its removal does little to nothing in benefit of development.  Also, sometimes it helps to examine why people assume something is negative or wrong and rather than act as if action must be taken, it should be considered if people are perceiving things for the wrong reasons.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:12:51 am by 4Sword »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2008, 07:16:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
^this for the most part;

Although...

Just a heads up, and I don't really care what the reaction is <_<;; The next ZFGC incarnation will be focused on development. We're going to attract more developers, and less general discussion junkies with our new scheme of things. If we even keep spam, it will be something that is rewarded to users based on contribution to the site (yes site, not forum), not something that is purchased in a shop. Like Infinitus said, we've been working out ways to keep spam but make it more of something you work towards, instead of something someone can just *send you rupees* for.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2008, 07:24:36 am »
^this for the most part;

Although...

Just a heads up, and I don't really care what the reaction is <_<;; The next ZFGC incarnation will be focused on development. We're going to attract more developers, and less general discussion junkies with our new scheme of things. If we even keep spam, it will be something that is rewarded to users based on contribution to the site (yes site, not forum), not something that is purchased in a shop. Like Infinitus said, we've been working out ways to keep spam but make it more of something you work towards, instead of something someone can just *send you rupees* for.

High five for alienating part of the userbase dude

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2008, 07:27:40 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
!@#$% you bastards. Give me spam back.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2008, 07:28:10 am »
It really is not alienation if it is still allowed in some form, it benefits the forum though if our focus is what is promoted primarily.  Community still has its importance and not everything has to be so serious, but considering that in the past ZFGC was more focused on development, it seems odd that flocking to it now would suddenly be running away from the same people who did not mind that then.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2008, 07:30:27 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
^this for the most part;

Although...

Small part, dude; and 90% of that small part do nothing other than spam. The rest have development skills that they've just kind of left dormant.

This is Zelda Fan Game Central, not "Everyone troll and use /b/ memes and ditch what the forum was created for central". There will still be discussion boards, but just because we're making spam MORE exclusive doesn't mean that we're alienating part of the userbase, dude.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2008, 07:35:37 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Wait, during the 2.0 upgrade, are old posts going to be lost?
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2008, 07:46:16 am »
^this for the most part;

Although...

The rest have development skills that they've just kind of left dormant.

And you want to reward them by letting them post on a board they don't use to begin with.

high five dude

Small part, dude;

the small part that was more active than the entire board. nobody was forced to view it, yet with the development boards in full view, it still had more activity. Yep let's scapegoat spam when it's nothing more than a motivation problem with the developers.

high five dude

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2008, 07:49:14 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
^this for the most part;

Although...

And you want to reward them by letting them post on a board they don't use to begin with.

high five dude

Small part, dude;

the small part that was more active than the entire board. nobody was forced to view it, yet with the development boards in full view, it still had more activity. Yep let's scapegoat spam when it's nothing more than a motivation problem with the developers.

high five dude

If you've noticed dude. I've been the biggest supporter of a spam board dude. However it's not something that should draw the attention away dude. That small part also spammed up the rest of the forum dude. You of all people should know this dude. About 10% of that small part actually had something useful to bring to the table dude.

I don't mind people who come to the forum to have discussions. I do mind people who come here to spam up the place and get away with it.

TheRealDesuselah

« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2008, 07:49:14 am »
I say delete that stupid ZFGC style vaporware forum that noone gives a !@#$% about :)
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:33 am »
I thought that I would contribute that the way in which spam was dealt with had it been outside of the Spam board was counter-productive in that in some cases it was just moved to Spam and not locked as Andrew himself wanted, but then again there are times when things are borderline.  Swiftu does make a point though in that developers would hardly have interest in trying to attain access to the Spam forum at that rate.  Contributions to the site as a means to get into the area are something that I cannot comprehend yet as it is vague.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:40 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I thought that I would contribute that the way in which spam was dealt with had it been outside of the Spam board was counter-productive in that in some cases it was just moved to Spam and not locked as Andrew himself wanted, but then again there are times when things are borderline.  Swiftu does make a point though in that developers would hardly have interest in trying to attain access to the Spam forum at that rate.  Contributions to the site as a means to get into the area are something that I cannot comprehend yet as it is vague.

Contributors aren't just developers. There's a lot more to it than just that
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2008, 08:00:21 am »
Probably has to do with writing as probably Dantz and Hoffy are adamant supporters of those fields; other things too, I have a list in my head of what it could be, but writing it all out would be a pain in the ass.  As long as there is quality control with contributions, then all will be well.  I would help out if I could because my abilities and skills are good, but meh.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:06 pm »
  • :3
I say delete that stupid ZFGC style vaporware forum that noone gives a !@#$% about :)
I lol'd.

^this for the most part;

Although...

high five dude

Small part, dude;

high five dude

If you've noticed dude. I've been the biggest supporter of a spam board dude. However it's not something that should draw the attention away dude. That small part also spammed up the rest of the forum dude. You of all people should know this dude. About 10% of that small part actually had something useful to bring to the table dude.

I don't mind people who come to the forum to have discussions. I do mind people who come here to spam up the place and get away with it.
dude
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2008, 02:57:11 pm »
  • Taste the soup of my brain!
Spam was my favorite board because people didn't ignore it;  It was a quick way to have a conversation when I was at home alone.
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 78 queries.